Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil 2017

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Alek wrote: »
    Just finished Evil 200 Extended Base Camp Edition - 5300m+ elevation. Thrown in Ticknock and Turlough, will write more later tonight, after putting kids to bed

Well done. Not sure it was a good idea to bring the kids with you though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Well done. Not sure it was a good idea to bring the kids with you though?

They didn't even enjoy it, boring little bastirds.

On a serious note:

Started early as usual, 5:20, anticipating a long day. Weather was kind of unappetizing, and was getting worse, culminating at the top of Turlough hill, fecking 9 degrees with rain and wind. Descended to Laragh in a shake mode, had to warm up with coffee. Handy, huh.

Before that I decided to shorten the Lake Drive a bit, going via Sorrel Hill and another "shortcut" to Wicklow gap, adding a few hundred meters of elevation.

Starting the 3 peaks + loop the clouds started to clear, but wind seemed to grow stronger. I'm not sure if I did it in the right direction, but in fairness I did not fancy repeating Slieve Mann S-N for the sixth time.

The loop was a killer. Climb after climb, with a brighter moment of the Rathdrum miniloop and a joyous spark of the the ice cream store microloop :)

After application of caffeine, the return to Laragh happened quickly and in a better spirit.

The road to Sally Gap was marked as still closed but asked around and learned that it is actually open. Thankfully had some tailwind on the awful drag between the waterfall and the gap, my least favourite stretch around.

Descending towards Roundwood and the Old Long hill were not so eventful, except for the fact that the tiredness started to creep in. I started following the elevation on Garmin, and I know that watching any numbers slowly adding was never a good idea for me. When it reached 5000m near the Military Road, BOOM, all the power was suddenly lost, I was moving at no speed. Headwind and steep climb didn't help and it took me all the way to Featherbeds to recover.

I was planning to do 2/3rds of Everesting elevation (6000m) but fell short on time - I promised Ewa to be home before the kids go to sleep. I've cut the route short then, skipping the last Ticknock ascent, and headed home.

For the whole ride I was battling sharp lower back pain, on/off style, with stretching and changing position. Now its super stiff and I actually begin to worry about Everesting, having heard from a guy that attempted it and failed at 7000m due to back pain. I forced myself not to take any Ibuprofen today, but will keep a few pills handy on the day.

That was harder ride than I thought it will be. Wind, initial bad weather and the pain didn't stop me from enjoying it though! :D

Oh, and I killed the bottom bracket. Could have been worse ;)

Now I laugh at my 23/24kph estimation... https://www.strava.com/activities/1052258635/overview

420700.jpg
    420702.jpg
    420703.jpg
    420704.jpg

420705.jpg
    420706.jpg
    420707.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

For the whole ride I was battling sharp lower back pain, on/off style, with stretching and changing position. Now its super stiff and I actually begin to worry about Everesting, having heard from a guy that attempted it and failed at 7000m due to back pain. I forced myself not to take any Ibuprofen today, but will keep a few pills handy on the

Oh, and I killed the bottom bracket.

Well done Alek, honest day on bike. Enjoy the recovery

On BB HT2 lost a lot longer when you are very gentle with preload.

Sedentary job and lots of cycling equals poor hip mobility; like fcuking awful. Can often cause lower back pain. NOT MEDICAL ADVISE BTW!!!

Dominic Munnelley has some good stuff on his website

• Advertisement

Sedentary job and lots of cycling equals poor hip mobility; like fcuking awful.

I haven't experienced this before however, and my life habits have not changed for the last few years.

However: the last 6 nights I spent in a tent, on a thin mat and sleeping on my back (due to kids waking up if I didn't) which I normally don't do. I could feel losing sensation in the upper right leg sometimes... I hope I will recover from it soon enough.

I've heard so! The next one will be installed less hamfistedly.

And by the way - the White Garden Furniture Cafe lady in Laragh (Evil 2015 crew should know) is officially the nicest around! She even remembered my cheeky comment from 2 years ago, not to mention I got my coffee today for free :)

I promised her to kick arse of any friend of mine that will get their scones/coffee anywhere else while around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Do you curse in Polish or English during such efforts Alek?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

ford2600 wrote: »
    Well done Alek, honest day on bike. Enjoy the recovery

Sedentary job and lots of cycling equals poor hip mobility; like fcuking awful. Can often cause lower back pain. NOT MEDICAL ADVISE BTW!!!

Dominic Munnelley has some good stuff on his website

I like to mix in some running during the week. I find it helps me.

I don't curse at all while cycling, cursing is for post ride recovery, for kurfeck sake.

Running helps occasionally to remind me that i hate it.

;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

However: the last 6 nights I spent in a tent, on a thin mat and sleeping on my back (due to kids waking up if I didn't) which I normally don't do. I could feel losing sensation in the upper right leg sometimes... I hope I will recover from it soon enough.

I did 7 nights in a hammock while on tour. Really good sleep, no jabs in ribs from stones/twigs etc. Recommended...

420783.jpg
    Camping Municipal Bourgueil
    420781.jpg
    Bonjour!...
    420784.jpg
    Dinner at Camping Riviere Argent
    420785.jpg
    Isotonic Recovery drink...

Never tried a hammock myself (was toying with the idea) but from asking around it seems very individual thing - some people love it, others wake up in bits after one night. The problem now is to find a hammock big enough for me, wife and two kids.... ;)

Advertisement