Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderating question..

Options
  • 18-12-2016 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭

I posted in this missing person thread questioning if it's an appropriate AH topic:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057683401

I got berated, to say the least and when I went about explaining myself I was warned not to post again.

Is this an appropriate reaction?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Have you discussed this with the mod?

To be honest, if I was looking at this, I would class your post as lightweight backseat moderating. If I was unsure about a post or thread, I would use Report Post or I would PM a mod. Posting on thread is not the best way to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

The mod suggested I take the discussion here.

Thanks for letting me know.

I explained above how I could see your post as back seat moderating. In addition, following up by debating a mod instruction on thread is a no-no in Boards. To me, getting a thread ban is a reasonable & fair reaction, as the mod could have gone instead for a card.

Fair enough, I will be more mindful in the future I guess.

Feel free always to contact mods, CMods or admins to discuss actions. Just please don't debate them in threads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

dudara wrote: »
    Thanks for letting me know.

I explained above how I could see your post as back seat moderating. In addition, following up by debating a mod instruction on thread is a no-no in Boards. To me, getting a thread ban is a reasonable & fair reaction, as the mod could have gone instead for a card.

A card? Really??

It could have been, but it would have been a bit harsh on the poster. In this case, the mod went for a thread ban, which avoids a card. A decent call IMO

It could have been, but it would have been a bit harsh on the poster. In this case, the mod went for a thread ban, which avoids a card. A decent call IMO

A bit harsh .......... that's one way to put it!!! :D

It seems it doesn't take much to receive a Warning, Infraction, Ban etc. on Boards these days ........ thank God the Mods are so decent as you put it. :rolleyes:

To be fair, the "no on-thread arguing" rule is one of the most basic rules on Boards. It's probably written in most charters.

To be fair, the "no on-thread arguing" rule is one of the most basic rules on Boards. It's probably written in most charters.

Ok ......... well .......... I think he had a valid point and he didn't come across as being in any way malicious, in my opinion.

Anyway, I think I'll quit while I'm ahead ............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

TBF missing persons threads are a 'common' thing in AH, they have plenty of precedence and it's for an urgent cause. Frankly, Degsie didn't really need to stick his oar in there and I'm surprised he even felt the need to start a feedback thread on the response he got....

TBF missing persons threads are a 'common' thing in AH, they have plenty of precedence and it's for an urgent cause. Frankly, Degsie didn't really need to stick his oar in there and I'm surprised he even felt the need to start a feedback thread on the response he got....

As per the Feedback Charter:
    It is an opportunity for the users to interact with the mods/cmods/admins on equal footing and receive answers to questions
    I came here to seek clarification on a mod warning. So unless you are a mod/cmod/admin, I'd appreciate if you wouldn't stick your oar in here.

Please lock this thread as I've accepted the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

degsie wrote: »
    As per the Feedback Charter:

I came here to seek clarification on a mod warning. So unless you are a mod/cmod/admin, I'd appreciate if you wouldn't stick your oar in here.

Please lock this thread as I've accepted the response.

You don't like it when people do it to you?

No need for digs at each other.

Closing this thread as per OP's request.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement