Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have to replace a front passenger seat

• 18-12-2016 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Car was just failed by the NCT over back brake issue and front passenger seat damaged,broken.Now I have to replace the front passenger seat and the cars a 99d 1.4 3 door hatchback,my question is on the 3 door hatch the doors are longer so would a front passenger seat from a 4 or 5 door astra fit from the period from 1998-2004 if I,m correct in that,cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Are both cars Astra? A seat from a 4 door should fit a 3 door from same generation. The differences is usually the seat rails but here also that seat doesn't fold in a 4 door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

biko wrote: »
    Are both cars Astra? A seat from a 4 door should fit a 3 door from same generation. The differences is usually the seat rails but here also that seat doesn't fold in a 4 door.

Thanks for info Biko didn't think of that so if I,m getting you right the front passenger seats on a 4 or 5 door don't recline forward like the 3 door which has to recline forward and of cause the seat slide forward to let passengers get in the back.Hav,nt a clue about the seat rails,been looking on the internet for hours today looking for a seat from a 3 door and its like looking for hens teeth :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

damon5 wrote: »
    Car was just failed by the NCT over back brake issue and front passenger seat damaged,broken.Now I have to replace the front passenger seat and the cars a 99d 1.4 3 door hatchback,my question is on the 3 door hatch the doors are longer so would a front passenger seat from a 4 or 5 door astra fit from the period from 1998-2004 if I,m correct in that,cheers.

I had a broken seat in a 99 Vectra a few years ago. I just took it out, removed the fabric and sponge, and welded it.

If you took out the seat yourself and removed the material, any welding place or a garage would have it welded in probably less than 5 minutes.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I had a broken seat in a 99 Vectra a few years ago. I just took it out, removed the fabric and sponge, and welded it.

If you took out the seat yourself and removed the material, any welding place or a garage would have it welded in probably less than 5 minutes.

Thanks Pablo for that but I hav,nt a clue about cars,have a Hayns manual and it said you have to disconnect the neutrol lead from the battery to remove the seat and theres some plastic thing under the seat that you put into some barrel to make this part safe that has to do with giving a small explosion to lock the seat belts in a frontal hit,see I havnt a clue

You could ask a garage for a quote to do the job. I assume you would ask them to fit the new seat anyway? It is wise to disconnect the battery alright when you disconnect the pre-tensioner. Be aware that if you reconnect the battery before reconnecting the pre-tensioner, the airbag light will stay on the dash.

• Advertisement

You could ask a garage for a quote to do the job. I assume you would ask them to fit the new seat anyway? It is wise to disconnect the battery alright when you disconnect the pre-tensioner. Be aware that if you reconnect the battery before reconnecting the pre-tensioner, the ABS light will stay on the dash.

Cheers for that Pablo,would be getting some garage to fit it if I can find a seat,its like looking for hens teeth.My car doesn't have ABS,wish it had :)what if I got it welded up so its solid that I couldn't tilt the back of the seat forward for access but use the driver side for access to the back.Would the NCT check the lever that folds the back of the seat forward to see does it work,cheers.

damon5 wrote: »
    Cheers for that Pablo,would be getting some garage to fit it if I can find a seat,its like looking for hens teeth.My car doesn't have ABS,wish it had :)what if I got it welded up so its solid that I couldn't tilt the back of the seat forward for access but use the driver side for access to the back.Would the NCT check the lever that folds the back of the seat forward to see does it work,cheers.

Jaysus sorry, I meant the airbag light. Edited now.

I think it was the height adjuster was broke on my one. I doubt you would have to get it welded solid, just whatever part is broke, and maybe put a small strengthening plate on it. It might work out the same price or cheaper than buying a seat. As well as saving yourself the hassle of finding a seat in the first place.

Jaysus sorry, I meant the airbag light. Edited now.

I think it was the height adjuster was broke on my one. I doubt you would have to get it welded solid, just whatever part is broke, and maybe put a small strengthening plate on it. It might work out the same price or cheaper than buying a seat. As well as saving yourself the hassle of finding a seat in the first place.

Just after thinking welding the back of the seat solid with the base wouldn't work as when they were checking the lever to fold the back of the seat forward it wouldn't react as supposed to.It would be a health and safety issue from the manufacturers point of view trying to get egress from a 2 door instead of a 4 or 5 with the extra doors in a crash...

Advertisement