Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU or motherboard

Options
  • 18-12-2016 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I have a HP Microserver that I added some satellite cards & other stuff to to turn it into a HTPC.

Went to use it last night and it's totally dead.
    No lights. No sound.

It's not the cable that's the problem.

I'm assuming it's the PSU but if it was the motherboard would I get anything there?
    How do I know which one it is or could it be something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Simple question, is it the fuse in the power cable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Simple question, is it the fuse in the power cable?

Thanks but that was the first thing I checked.
    Next the socket.
    Finally I used the cable on another PC with no issue so definitely not the cable / plug / fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Perform a PSU test with a paperclip. That'll either confirm the PSU is dead or give a weak suggestion that its the Mobo (A dodgy PSU could still spin up with no load).

ED E wrote: »
    Perform a PSU test with a paperclip. That'll either confirm the PSU is dead or give a weak suggestion that its the Mobo (A dodgy PSU could still spin up with no load).

I'm assuming this is what you mean by the paperclip test.
    https://youtu.be/ixcWCrYpw3Y
    Thanks will give that a go and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

frash wrote: »
    I'm assuming this is what you mean by the paperclip test.
    https://youtu.be/ixcWCrYpw3Y
    Thanks will give that a go and report back.

Yes that is the paper clip test he mentioned.

• Advertisement

Yes that is the paper clip test he mentioned.

Thanks.

So I've done the test with one end of the paper clip in the green wire & the other in the black.
    Nothing happens when I plug it in - I'm assuming the fan is supposed to spin?

Does this mean the PSU is fecked?
    Any way to know it's not more that that?

Looks like it is a faulty PSU.
    If it didn't turn on with the paper clip inserted. When I say turn on I mean the fan inside the PSU.

Looks like it is a faulty PSU.
    If it didn't turn on with the paper clip inserted. When I say turn on I mean the fan inside the PSU.

Looks that way alright.

Where's a good place to source replacement HP parts or will any 150W PSU do the job?

The HP part number on this one is 630295-001 and the only place I can find it for sale so far are on old ebay listings

I do not know your motherboard but I am pretty sure any PSU will do. 150W seems very low and probably hard to find. Do you have many items plugged in and is the motherboard a standard ATX?

I do not know your motherboard but I am pretty sure any PSU will do. 150W seems very low and probably hard to find. Do you have many items plugged in and is the motherboard a standard ATX?

I'm going to show my ignorance here but I presume it's a standard ATX - it's from a 4 year old HP Microserver N40L.

As for many plugged in... the 5 white connectors (in th elink below) were all connected
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gjqz63as569ohk2/2016-12-19%2022.27.10.jpg?dl=0

• Advertisement

That PSU looks kind of narrow to me(or maybe it's the picture) but if you were to buy a normal PSU will there be enough room for it to fit?
    Have you access to another PC and measure the size between the PSU there and the one in the other PC.

That PSU looks kind of narrow to me(or maybe it's the picture) but if you were to buy a normal PSU will there be enough room for it to fit?
    Have you access to another PC and measure the size between the PSU there and the one in the other PC.

I was actually just browsing PSUs online & yeah they all seem bulkier.

This one is 80mm wide, 150mm long & 40mm deep and it's fairly snug when in the Microserver so think I'd have to stick with this size unfortunately.

Thanks for the help on this btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Xenoronin wrote: »

thanks for looking into it for me

now thinking of buying a 2nd hand microserver & stripping it for parts as a mate needs some hard drives & RAM for his one while I'd take the PSU.

Depends on the price you can get for a second hand one I guess. Hard drives and RAM aren't too expensive or difficult to get.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    Depends on the price you can get for a second hand one I guess. Hard drives and RAM aren't too expensive or difficult to get.

Looks like I'd get a 2nd hand Microserver for around €120

New PSU looking like being £50 - £60 before delivery

sounds decent so :)

Advertisement