Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obese to Marathon. Impossible?

Options
  • 18-12-2016 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

I started slimming world 5 months ago. I have lost nearly five and a half stone since then (74lbs) and over the last month have got really into running.

This time last year or even six months ago i would have gotten tired walking around the block but have completed some 5k runs and a few parkruns now.

I have entered the Great Ireland run 10k in April and have my sights set on a marathon or half marathon all going well.

This is my journey!

Start weight 19stone 11.5lbs

Current weight 14stone 8.5lbs

5k pb 30.30

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Best of luck and congrats on the weight loss. I'm going to point you to TM's thread as his background might help you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057481211

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

Thank you! I had actually read through that thread yesterday! Great inspiration!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's definitely not impossible, plenty here have travelled that path. Sensible training is what it's all about, avoiding injury as much as possible (there are always setbacks, how you deal with them can be crucial).

Best of luck with it. Plenty of advice available so keep asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Twiggy69

Congratulations on your weight loss. I'd be interested in reading how you have achieved that success. Do you have a Blog or thread somewhere that I could follow. If so, you might PM me. Continued success on your weight loss and road to fitness.

To be honest i have just stuck very rigidly to the slimming world plan- basically no fat unless you limit it. I think i knew i was reaching the point of no return in regards to my weight and just had to do something about it.

I have another 2 stone or so that i want to loose but I am really focused on increasing my fitness at the moment as I have found a new found confidence in my abilities!

I am very conscious about overdoing it and am varying the workouts i am doing- a mix of swimming, rowing, running and weights.

• Advertisement

Ok so went to the gym after work today and was feeling horribly tired but still made myself go.

I did a 10k cycle for warm up/cool down
    1500m row

and a 3k run- one thing i did notice was i keep getting a annoying blister under the arch of my left foot! I have bought running socks (karrimor) but not making much difference. If anyone has any advice that would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

ene wrote: »
    and a 3k run- one thing i did notice was i keep getting a annoying blister under the arch of my left foot! I have bought running socks (karrimor) but not making much difference. If anyone has any advice that would be great!

I found this too when I started running; two layered socks really helped me in the early days. The 1000 mile brand ones I found great. After a year your feet harden up and you can pretty much wear whatever.

Good luck in your journey, seriously impressive weight loss.

Edit: looking at bluewolf's post below and rereading the location of your blister, bluewolf'a answer is probably closer to the mark!

I had this and it was my shoes, I was over or under something pronating.
    A gait analysis and proper shoes and I never had that issue again

Good luck

Thanks for the advice- my mum is actually a physio and she did a quick gait analysis and looked at my shoes and thought they were fine. I have insoles in them as I have flat feet but may have to look into getting proper ones made maybe.
    I might try to pick up those socks and see if they make any difference at all!

Ran 3.5k today on the treadmill- felt I could have kept going but stupidly let the time run out and so completed it in 20 minutes.
    Probably good that i did stop as when I got home blisters are now on both feet under the arch so really need to figure out what to do! I don't want to stop running as feel like I am just getting in the swing of things!
    My gym is closing for maintenance tomorrow until the 27th so will have to get outside to run a couple of times over christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I find outdoor running far easier. Less boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Best of luck and congrats on the weight loss. I'm going to point you to TM's thread as his background might help you.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057481211

Thank you! I had actually read through that thread yesterday! Great inspiration!

Cheers , Congratulations on your progress so far. Its definitely possible. My 2 cent would be to Take it nice and easy and build your distance gradually, it took me three years to feel confident enough that I had the ability to tackle a marathon.

We're all different though , age , level of base fitness starting out, general health are all factors which will come into play , so what took me 3 years others have achieved in 1, you will know yourself when you are ready to take it on.

If I were starting again , I would do some parkruns and races earlier than I did, and would do some strength and conditioning too, Pilates would be a definite. Other than that be consistent , run three or four times a week and enjoy it.

The best of luck with it, you will have doubts along the way but if you follow a proven plan and remain injury free you can definitely get yourself into condition to run a marathon.

I have started doing parkruns reducing my time from 38 mins to 30.30 so really enjoy doing those!

The only injuries so far are the blisters which i have mentioned so far but have just opened a early christmas present of two pairs of very fancy looking 'pro touch' running socks so hopefully have no more excuses!!

So after a couple of days off for Christmas got off the plane and really wanted to go for a run (this has NEVER happened before!). Did a quick 3.5k 20 minute loop before dinner and really enjoyed it.

6 months ago i would never have even considered going for a WALK after getting off the plane so feeling quite chuffed with myself!

Did parkrun this morning in 31.23 so not my best time. Found it hard today as there was a ridiculous amount of fog so could barely see my nose let alone any landmarks to keep me going.
    We have a new years day double thing tomorrow so going to try and do both even if i just walk the second 5k!

Lost 3lbs over Christmas- god knows how but its definitely boosted my post Christmas mood!

Ok so only did one park run today- it was horribly windy and wet so couldn't find motivation to get out twice.

Managed to knock 1minute 10 off of my previous pb getting around in 29.21!! I am absolutely delighted, brilliant start to the year!

Now have to decide what my new goal would be for 2017 as i had planned on doing a sub 30 minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

You'll be surprised how much progress you will make over the next 12 months if you keep at it. Something like 25 minutes wouldn't be a crazy target. You could look at longer distances too, 10k to half marathon. Well done on all your progress so far.

I think i will aim for 28 minutes, then if (when) i beat that time i can reduce it again!

I have signed up for the great Ireland run 10k in April so need to start increasing my distance gradually.

Was tough getting out today but hadn't been to the gym since before Christmas so needed to go. Ran to the gym 1.7km as warm up, cycled 5miles in 17 minutes and killed myself rowing 2500m in 9.56 which I was thrilled with as was aiming for 2000m in 10 minutes! Ran home up a hill which i hate but ran the whole way up and did the 1.7k in 10.06 which felt great after the gym!

Had a tough day at work today and kept thinking about going for a run so went out before dinner.
    I decided on a landmark about 2.5km from my house but realised when i got home it was further!
    5.67km run in 34.05 minutes making this the furthest run I have done. I felt really great and next time might make it a bit further, cannot believe how great I feel after getting home and how proud of myself I am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Great stuff :), you seem to be getting into a habit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Really well done on the new Parkrun PB and on the new longest run ever! If you stay consistent over the next few months that 10km race will be no bother too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Keep it up and keep chipping away at it - it will all happen for you if you build up gradually, enjoy the journey :)

You'll find as you run longer distances and more often in preparing for your 10k that you'll get faster - no reason why you shouldn't be doing 27-28 for Parkrun in a few months.

Got another pb at parkrun this morning 28.38 am so chuffed as i was worried last week was a bit of a fluke! I have to learn to pace myself a bit more as I am either running quite quickly or out of puff and needing to walk for a minute. It is annoying as I know I can run 5k without stopping but my silly brain keeps telling to walk- silly mind games!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

When you become tempted to walk just slow down your running pace instead. Your heart rate will drop and you'll recover. Before long you won't ever have the desire to walk anymore, you'll just learn to ease off a bit when your heart rate gets too high.

When you become tempted to walk just slow down your running pace instead. Your heart rate will drop and you'll recover. Before long you won't ever have the desire to walk anymore, you'll just learn to ease off a bit when your heart rate gets too high.

I think i know this in principle but its more the lazy brain side of me getting the better of me!

Sounds to me like you are running the Parkruns exactly as you should, Pushing youself as much as you can. Make sure your runs in the days following are easy paced .

Getting your pacing exactly right will take a bit of learning so if you need to slow down to get your breath back do.

I think most runners at all levels can get the urge to stop when they are pushing hard.

Ye I am planning on going on a longer slower run tomorrow so hopefully will pace a bit better.
    I think I just feel like a bit of a failure when i have to walk but suppose everyone does- well i hope!!

I think I just feel like a bit of a failure when i have to walk but suppose everyone does- well i hope!!

I can relate to that. when I'm feeling like that I just think back to where I was before I started running. No harm being a bit hard on yourself either if it drives you on.

• Advertisement

I didn't go for a run today but i had masters swimming this morning- about 2000m and then drills and went bouldering this afternoon which was great fun! It is something i would never have considered doing before i lost weight but i think i wasn't actually that bad at it!

Planning on going for a run after work tomorrow

Advertisement