Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is MMA a sport?

• 18-12-2016 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭

Conor Mc Gregor won RTE's Sports Personality of the Year but do many consider this to be a sport at all? There doesn't seem to be any rules to it imo.
    Maybe i'm wrong but it mystifies me as to how it's even refereed or how points are awarded. It's like a brawl and lacks the skill needed to be classified as a sport.

Just my opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Conor Mc Gregor won RTE's Sports Personality of the Year but do many consider this to be a sport at all? There doesn't seem to be any rules to it imo.
    Maybe i'm wrong but it mystifies me as to how it's even refereed or how points are awarded. It's like a brawl and lacks the skill needed to be classified as a sport.

Just my opinion.

Why don't you read up on it instead of starting a thread about how you don't know the rules?

Start with Google.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Just my opinion.

You opinion is irrelevant and it seems like you are just trolling. You just show up your own ignorance when you state you think that it doesn't have any rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Just my opinion.

Your opinion is misinformed. There is a pretty extensive set of rules, fairly clear scoring criteria, and it is clearly a very skillful sport as you need to be trained in numerous martial arts. Do you reckon boxing is a sport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Conor Mc Gregor won RTE's Sports Personality of the Year but do many consider this to be a sport at all?

Yes it's a sport like boxing, kick boxing, judo, wrestling etc. All of the above are technical sports with technical rules. MMA is exactly the same, try researching before starting idiotic threads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Effects wrote: »
    You opinion is irrelevant and it seems like you are just trolling. You just show up your own ignorance when you state you think that it doesn't have any rules.

I'm not trolling and I don't intend to offend anyone.

I'm a big lover of boxing actually. A sport that has easily defined rules and regulations. I just don't see MMA as a sport or an art.

• Advertisement

I thought the Sports Council don't recognise it as a sport?

I guess both RTE and MMA can be filed more under the entertainment bracket, so guess it's not unusual that one would recognise the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

No idea if people consider it sport or not, don't care either way, it's just too brutal for me. Wouldn't shed a tear if it was banned like they have done in France.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm not trolling and I don't intend to offend anyone.

I'm a big lover of boxing actually. A sport that has easily defined rules and regulations. I just don't see MMA as a sport or an art.

Read the rules of mma, they're easy to understand if you do. There may be more of them but that doesn't mean that they any less defined as boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

me_irl wrote: »
    Lot of butthurt, tapout-wearing (or reebok is it now?), olé chanting, "I did a few classes of bjj and now I'm a pro" lads in this thread.

Hilarious did you think that one up all by yourself:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭SteM

Who on this thread? No one has been rude up to this point apart from you from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Very polarised thread and it's barely started!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Very polarised thread and it's barely started!!

Think it's just one of those things where you're fer it or agin it.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Chris.

Just my opinion.

You need to train in all forms of martial arts for years to be even half proficient at it but sure yeah, it lacks the skill needed to be classified as a sport...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Yep. It's a sport. It has rules same as any other sport.
    What makes it any different from boxing, wrestling, ju jitsu, karate etc?
    All participants are athletes who train incredibly hard.

You may tak ea dislike to McGregor et al for their showboating, but that's just part of the marketing, the same as Mayweather Pacquiao bout.

Chris. wrote: »
    You need to train in all forms of martial arts for years to be even half proficient at it but sure yeah, it lacks the skill needed to be classified as a sport...

But you don't see that in it.
    It looks like like a brawl where you knock your opponent to the floor by brute force and then pummel him into submission.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

MMA is a sport - unless your logic for defining what a sport is doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Not a fan of it but i completely respect the guys that put themselves on the line and compete. Can only imagine it's a wind up anyone considering it not a sport.

Oodoov wrote: »
    Not a fan of it but i completely respect the guys that put themselves on the line and compete. Can only imagine it's a wind up anyone considering it not a sport.

Is a brawl outside a pub a sport then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Is horse racing a sport? It's just midgets sitting on horses whipping them and there's no rules to it.

Only if you don't know what a sport is........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,822 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It looks like like a brawl where you knock your opponent to the floor by brute force and then pummel him into submission.

Yet you like boxing where you pummel your opponent until he goes down, gets a standing count, gets pummeled again, gets a standing count, gets pummeled again.

Of course you're not trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well UFC and Bellator are theatre posing as a sport.

Yes you do see that in it if you know anything about the sport. You said you like boxing, do boxers not try and knock there opponent to the floor by brute force?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What official bodies recognise it as a sport?

Is there MMA in the Olympics or Paralympics?

Don't see the connection.

The greatest sportsman of all time Muhammad Ali liked to beat people up and boast about it. Guess a punch up outside a pub makes him less of an icon then by your estimation.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Yet you like boxing where you pummel your opponent until he goes down, gets a standing count, gets pummeled again, gets a standing count, gets pummeled again.

Of course you're not trolling.

You clearly don't know about illegal punching, use of the head, below the belt etc.
    There is no comparison to MMA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I have watched some of the Conor fights and enjoyed them. I do find the whole thing a bit too WWE-ish for my liking though. It reminds me a bit of school where people were calling people out to fight after school and the theatrics involved in all of that.
    What I don't get is why people get so offended in threads like this when people try and challenge the sport? Who cares, if you like it that's all that matters. It would be like me losing my sh*t if someone said they weren't into football and started giving out about the diving etc and that rugby is a real mans sport, which is a lot of people in Ireland.

Can we all just agree that darts isnt a sport?

foggy_lad wrote: »

I don't need official bodies to tell me what a sport is. I can think for myself, you should try it sometime... tis great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

It's relatively new, so it hasn't had the time to make it into the Olympics.

That said, the Olympics drops sports as fast as it adds them, so it's not a good measure.
    And also Pankration which was a classical Olympic sport is very similar to MMA, so it has a better chance than most of getting in.
    You clearly don't know about illegal punching, use of the head, below the belt etc.

Yes there is, although you wouldn't know since you've already admitted you're ignorant of the rules.
    I have watched some of the Conor fights and enjoyed them. I do find the whole thing a bit too WWE-ish for my liking though. It reminds me a bit of school where people were calling people out to fight after school and the theatrics involved in all of that.
    That happens in a lot of sport. Plenty of famous rivalries throughout the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Fcuk you, I train every night and throw competitively every Friday night in the pub!! I don't get this body from exercising ya know!!!

All those things are banned in mma. It's in the non existent rules.

How much did you stick on the muck savage rowers to win the award?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Well UFC and Bellator are theatre posing as a sport.

UFC and Bellator are not sports nor do they claim to be. MMA is the sport, they are the organisations within the sport.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    All those things are banned in mma. It's in the non existent rules.

How much did you stick on the muck savage rowers to win the award?

I voted for Dundalk FC. Our heroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I have watched some of the Conor fights and enjoyed them. I do find the whole thing a bit too WWE-ish for my liking though.

Dana White and the former owners clearly state they 'borrowed' Vince McMahon's entire blueprint. MMA at the least the popular MMA on tv is far closer to pro-wrestling than a real combat sport.

• Advertisement

Here's the MMA rules.....
    http://www.fightukmma.co.uk/uk-mma-rules/

If the rules are the only thing that sway the decision for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

No,I'm busy watching elite athletes throwing 180s,the athletism these guys have walking up taking the arrows out of the board and walking back is magnificent to behold...
    Anyway back on topic,MMA should be a sport if it's not imo

Dana White and the former owners clearly state they 'borrowed' Vince McMahon's entire blueprint. MMA at the least the popular MMA on tv is far closer to pro-wrestling than a real combat sport.

UFC isn't MMA and MMA isn't UFC.

[/B]

I voted for Dundalk FC. Our heroes.

On the basis of your posts in this thread they're the heroes you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

The sport itself has its own international governing body as well as having regional governing bodies in most countries in which it is practiced and it is recognised and sanctioned by all state athletic commisions in the USA and Canada.

Dont see any relevance to its inclusion or exclusion from the olympics. Olympic status does not define a sport at all.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    On the basis of your posts in this thread they're the heroes you deserve.

Thank you. Three titles in a row.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

........MMA on tv is far closer to pro-wrestling than a real combat sport.

What do you mean by this?

MMA has illegal strikes too. What is your point?

MMA has illegal strikes too. What is your point?

Yet they can kick the crap out of each other??

Yet they can kick the crap out of each other??

Kick boxing isn't a sport either?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kick boxing isn't a sport either?

By the same logic, neither is boxing, sure all they do is beat the crap out of each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

The problem with MMA is no one is that good at it. It just seems like luck if you win, more than anything else. The belts change hands all the time. Holm beats Rousey, Miesha Tate beats Holm and then Tate loses her belt. Mcgregor was supposed to be the best fighter of all time and yet lost to someone who can barely string a sentence together.

Neither is boxing, sure all they do is beat the crap out of each other.

Not when there's someone on the ground. It's not brawling.

Is kick boxing not a sport due to people kicking each other?

So amateur wrestling or BJJ are not sports?

• Advertisement
Advertisement