Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is MMA a sport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

No. It's the referees job to stop it then.
    The corner can also stop it.

But do they always stop it? No. A referee will allow a fighter to fight on if he can get back to his feet within the time allowed and go back out to get hit again.
    In MMA serious damage could be done when a fighter is hit after being knocked out even before the referee intervenes. You don't get that in boxing.

No, what you get in boxing is the referee sending concussed fighters back out for more. In MMA the fighter may take strikes but the referee will STOP the fight immediately on seeing he is not intelligently defending himself instead of giving him a count.

If this thread was an MMA bout the thread would be stopped as the OP isn't intelligently defending himself.

Instead this thread is like a boxing bout, the OP is being allowed get battered & the match won't be stopped until either a Moderator/ref steps in to protect the OP or the OP throws in the towel/KO'd.

Some poeple are accusing the OP of trolling, tbh I don't thin he is.. He's just (imo) started an ill informed thread on an opinion he can not defend, and should IMO 'tap out' and admit defeat :p

A perfect analogy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,770 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Ah for God's sake will you quit man. Don't dig holes for yourself.

Remind me how you get force into a punch?? it's all in the arms right? not from the toe up putting your whole body into it? kind of hard to do that while in mount

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I haven't been presented with anything to convince me it's a sport yet, which was the basis of the thread.

You've already made up your mind that it's not a sport. We're not going to convince you otherwise, no matter what is said.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Chris.

If this thread was an MMA bout the thread would be stopped as the OP isn't intelligently defending himself.

Instead this thread is like a boxing bout, the OP is being allowed get battered & the match won't be stopped until either a Moderator/ref steps in to protect the OP or the OP throws in the towel/KO'd.

Some poeple are accusing the OP of trolling, tbh I don't thin he is.. He's just (imo) started an ill informed thread on an opinion he can not defend, and should IMO 'tap out' and admit defeat :p

Haha brilliant. Take a bow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You're obviously a keen fan of MMA then. And i'm not trolling.
    I just don't see it or rate it as a sport.
    With regards to boxing, many fights end in points win and the boxing is stylish nad entertaining. MMA seems to be about inflicting as much damage as possible to an opponent. I don't see it as a sport at all. No art and very little skill imo. So i'm out of here without being convinced of it being anywhere near a skillful sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Physical assertion is common enough trait in a lot of sports. I often think of Rugby as being like a form of MMA. Except everyone in your gym is fighting at the same time in the same ring.

You're obviously a keen fan of MMA then. And i'm not trolling.
    I just don't see it or rate it as a sport.
    With regards to boxing, many fights end in points win and the boxing is stylish nad entertaining. MMA seems to be about inflicting as much damage as possible to an opponent. I don't see it as a sport at all. No art and very little skill imo. So i'm out of here without being convinced of it being anywhere near a skillful sport.

Boxing where you repeatedly tickle your opponent till they give up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

No. It's the referees job to stop it then.
    The corner can also stop it.

In MMA serious damage could be done when a fighter is hit after being knocked out even before the referee intervenes. You don't get that in boxing.

Have you any evidence of this serious damage being done on the ground? People get hit a lot harder when they're standing than they do on the ground.

Oh but boxing is an ''art'' and MMA is just two knuckle draggers brawling dont ya know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Conor Mc Gregor won RTE's Sports Personality of the Year but do many consider this to be a sport at all? There doesn't seem to be any rules to it imo.
    Maybe i'm wrong but it mystifies me as to how it's even refereed or how points are awarded. It's like a brawl and lacks the skill needed to be classified as a sport.

Just my opinion.

My dear God the ignorance is incredible.

Well they're not battered on the ground.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Oh but boxing is an ''art'' and MMA is just two knuckle draggers brawling dont ya know.
    And boxers wear gloves to lessen the blows / injuries. What do MMA wear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Of course it's a sport, same as skateboarding is a sport. Being called a sport gives no pedigree or standing to whatever "sport" it is.

Back when it was cage fighting and the current bunch were starting out, I had the misfortune to be at few events for my work.
    It's barbaric, any sport where injury can be inflicted when someone is already on the ground, has no place in modern society and to correct someone above, of course a blow to the body or head while the head is at rest against a solid object is worse than a blow when the head or body can react to the force.

I'd give it another few years and it'll go the way of WWF, thank God.

Oh right so boxers who take vastly more blows to the head as in hundreds is the safer sport?? Where mma fights can end without 10+ strikes being thrown is barbaric??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Nope, just battered against the ropes, til they're so tired and concussed they're falling on each other.

Gloves, you moron

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Chris.

Gloves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

There's some seriously good bait being used by @tayto lover in this thread.

• Advertisement

Nope instead they're allowed to suffer concussion on top of concussion in rapid succession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Senna wrote: »

I'd give it another few years and it'll go the way of WWF, thank God.

What does that mean?

Oh right so boxers who take vastly more blows to the head as in hundreds is the safer sport?? Where mma fights can end without 10+ strikes being thrown is barbaric??

I didn't use the word "barbaric".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

What does that mean?

Everyone will be wrestling pandas.

Gloves.

Nope instead they're allowed to suffer concussion on top of concussion in rapid succession.

No. Down 3 times is a fight ender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

More deaths per capita happen in boxing than do in MMA. More deaths occur in boxing than do in bare knuckle fighting even.

I bet you don't even know why.

You haven't a clue.

McGregor should have got full honours from this country for what he achieved and the role model he is to young people, particularly disenfranchised young people who can see from a man they respect if you dedicate yourself to your craft, whatever that might be, you'll rise out of your situation. There is a very important message there when the rest of the arms of the state have said f#ck you to you, particularly all the children homeless at the moment or living in communities with violence, drugs, with no out, no help, just a big f*ck you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭SteM

Have you figured out what mma fighters wear in their hands yet?

myshirt wrote: »
    More deaths per capita happen in boxing than do in MMA. More deaths occur in boxing than do in bare knuckle fighting even.

You haven't a clue.

Far bigger than MMA. Many more bouts worldwide. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'd guess it's because there are a lot more people boxing than the other options? Only a guess though. Where can I find the stats?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

SteM wrote: »
    Have you figured out what mma fighters wear in their hands yet?
    Knuckle dusters in their gloves :D

• Advertisement

Incorrect. Did you see Jason Quigleys fight last night? Opponent went down three times in the first and was allowed to fight on before being stopped later in the round.

Under some rule sets if a fighter goes down 3 times in a single round then it is fight over but that is not always the case.

Even under those rules fighters can potentally be knocked down twice in every round.

Didn't you say previously you are a boxing fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I'd guess it's because there are a lot more people boxing than the other options? Only a guess though. Where can I find the stats?

Per capita I said.

Of course the volume of boxers is higher. So per capita is the only apples with apples comparison.

Do your homework if you are going to make silly comments, I'm not a google service for you, the stats are out there if you want them. But educate yourself before you make silly comments ffs. Have you even been involved in a fight in your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

You haven't a clue.

Far bigger than MMA. Many more bouts worldwide. Simple.

There has been 4 deaths total in MMA. Probably more in Football matches over the years.

BUT BUT BUT THE GROUND! THEY BATTER THEM ON THE GROUND!

He clearly said ''per capita''. Which is true.

Incorrect. Did you see Jason Quigleys fight last night? Opponent went down three times in the first and was allowed to fight on before being stopped later in the round.

Under some rule sets if a fighter goes down 3 times in a single round then it is fight over but that is not always the case.

Even under those rules fighters can potentally be knocked down twice in every round.

Didn't you say previously you are a boxing fan?
    I'm well aware of the rules. I was a boxer in my youth.
    You are just being pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm a big lover of boxing actually.

You're not really. If you were you'd, at the very least, enjoy the boxing aspect of MMA which makes up the majority of a bout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Per capita I said.

Of course the volume of boxers is higher. So per capita is the only apples with apples comparison.

Do your homework if you are going to make silly comments, I'm not a google service for you, the stats are out there if you want them. But educate yourself before you make silly comments ffs. Have you even been involved in a fight in your life?

What silly comment? I've made a guess, and said it was a guess, which, apparently you tell me it's wrong, now you want me to research the answer? Seems like a lot of work you should be doing to back up your argument. I don't care enough, where as you clearly do.

Have I been involved in a fight? Not sure of the relevance tbh.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You're not really. If you were you'd, at the very least, enjoy the boxing aspect of MMA which makes up the majority of a bout.

Or just watch boxing instead??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

do many consider this to be a sport at all? There doesn't seem to be any rules to it imo.
    Maybe i'm wrong
    but it mystifies me as to how it's even refereed or how points are awarded.

You are.

I'm well aware of the rules. I was a boxer in my youth.
    You are just being pedantic.

You clearly said three knockdowns was a fight ender. Three knockdowns only applies to a single round under some rulesets. You were very very wrong. Nothing pedantic about that.

Huge difference between that and a fighter potentially being knocked down again and again, up to twice in each round over the course of a 12 round fight.

• Advertisement

You clearly said three knockdowns was a fight ender. Three knockdowns only applies to a single round under some rulesets. You were very very wrong. Nothing pedantic about that.

Huge difference between that and a fighter potentially being knocked down again and again, up to twice in each round over the course of a 12 round fight.

You knew exactly what I meant but keep deflecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Boxers wear gloves to protect the hands of the person throwing the punch.
    As a result they can throw harder punches than someone wearing MMA gloves (which provide less wrist support) or a bareknuckle boxer.

MMA gloves cause more superficial injuries (ie cuts) but the level of brain trauma is less than in boxing.

You knew exactly what I meant but keep deflecting.

What you said was about a million miles away from the truth.

I dont have to deflect. You're making a big enough mockery of yourself that I want to see what your next outlandish statement will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

But you don't see that in it.
    It looks like like a brawl where you knock your opponent to the floor by brute force
    As opposed to boxing? :confused::D

I love MMA. I totally get that some people don't. It is very, very violent. It's not for everyone.

I do find it bemusing when people who slate MMA do, however, like other martial arts, boxing fans in particular. In a boxing match you can get knocked down and concussed in round one, be given 10 seconds to clear your head, then stand back up and take sub concussive blows for 11 further rounds. The long term damage of this to your health is tremendous, as anyone with the slightest knowledge of Chronic Traumatic Encepelopathy(CTE) will tell you. However, someone getting knocked down than taking another couple shots on the ground...this is beyond the pale to them.

At the end of the day, opinion is an extension of ego and for some people, there's a joy in being the big man and dismissing MMA as a sport because they're too pig headed or not smart enough to educate themselves about it. So all the people greatly offended by the OP, bear in mind he's only making himself look silly.

Monokne wrote: »
    As opposed to boxing? :confused::D

I love MMA. I totally get that some people don't. It is very, very violent. It's not for everyone.

I do find it bemusing when people who slate MMA do, however, like other martial arts, boxing fans in particular. In a boxing match you can get knocked down and concussed in round one, be given 10 seconds to clear your head, then stand back up and take sub concussive blows for 11 further rounds. The long term damage of this to your health is tremendous, as anyone with the slightest knowledge of Chronic Traumatic Encepelopathy(CTE) will tell you. However, someone getting knocked down than taking another couple shots on the ground...this is beyond the pale to them.

At the end of the day, opinion is an extension of ego and for some people, there's a joy in being the big man and dismissing MMA as a sport because they're too pig headed or not smart enough to educate themselves about it. So all the people greatly offended by the OP, bear in mind he's only making himself look silly.

If I could, I would ''thank'' this post a thousand times. Well said.

ceegee wrote: »
    Boxers wear gloves to protect the hands of the person throwing the punch.
    As a result they can throw harder punches than someone wearing MMA gloves (which provide less wrist support) or a bareknuckle boxer.

MMA gloves cause more superficial injuries (ie cuts) but the level of brain trauma is less than in boxing.

They look a lot lighter than the 10 ounce gloves most heavyweight boxers wear in fights. I'd say they actually do more damage as they're easier to throw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭munster87

Sport definition from oxford dictionary
    'an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.'
    It's a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,443 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Boxing gloves are actually heavier than MMA gloves and have a much bigger surface area so they make it much easier to hit the opponent.

If it's easier to hit the opponent it leads to more landed strikes and with heavier gloves this leads to more damage caused to the opponent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

Boxing gloves were created to stop boxers breaking their hands, so they may box their opponent in the head for a longer period of time. Did you genuinely not know this, as a big boxing fan and ex boxer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Monokne wrote: »
    I do find it bemusing when people who slate MMA do, however, like other martial arts, boxing fans in particular.

This is exactly me. Big boxing fan but not interested in MMA. My reasons for not being interested in MMA (although I don't 'slate' it) have nothing to do with brutality or damage...I just don't get into it.

But it is a sport, obviously, and the OP is just embarrassing themself/entertaining themself on a Sunday night.

Advertisement