Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall Socket both earth and live have power?

Options
  • 18-12-2016 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi,
    Friend of mine was in our new house (built around 1980).

He put 2 phase testers in a wall socket - one in top part of the wall socket and one in right part and they both lit up.

He did the same with another socket on different wall and it only the right part lit up
    - which he said is correct only the right part (live) should have current.

Is he correct and is this dangerous and something that must be fixed urgently?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

"Phase testers" such as the one in the photo below are notoriously unreliable. Treat anything that a device such as this provides accordingly.
    A professional will only trust proper test instruments.

mtestx12.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

2011 wrote: »
    "Phase testers" such as the one in the photo below are notoriously unreliable. Treat anything that a device such as this provides accordingly.
    A professional will only trust proper test instruments.

Phase testers are crap. Get the multimeter out!

Though in fairness, if mains earth was hooked to live, you'd definitely know.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

thanks you both, I will get a proper instrument like a multimeter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I would take a guess that the earth is broken or not connected in the affected socket (or possibly other sockets in the same circuit), and the phase tester is lighting up due to 'induced' or 'stray capacitance' between the unconnected earth and the live.
    The fault could be a broken or unconnected earth wire at the back of another socket that's feeding the affected socket.

PS If the house was built in 1980, there may be no earth leakage (RCB) protection so its possible that you may have a combination of unearthed sockets and no RCB(earth leakage) protection, and this would be potentially very dangerous and should be rectified as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

1980 ain,t that old its old but it should have been rewired by now. My parents old house was built in the 70s and has an MCB board. if your house does not have one of these and still has fuses get it changed. The RCD in an MCB board offers far more protection to a person than a fuse ever will as they are just designed to protect the cable from going on fire.

I agree with what Joe1919 above said. The earth cable also could have broke.

There is socket testers you can buy that you plug into the socket and it tells you if it is wired right. They are relatively cheap. It might be no harm getting an electrician in to check over the house and even get a quote if you do need a new board and some rewiring done.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭joe2010

I'll definitely get an electrician to give the place the once over. Thanks all for your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well, it seems to be that the OP states that 2 phase testers where used at the same time, one into the phase (live) pin of a socket, and the second one into the earth pin.

Was it a case of both phase testers used at the same time, one in each hand?

In such a scenario, I would expect both phase testers to light brightly at a good properly earthed socket.

And, one to light brighter than the other at a socket with no earth connection.

Joe1919 wrote: »
    and the phase tester is lighting up due to 'induced' or 'stray capacitance' between the unconnected earth and the live.

If the OPs friend had a phase tester in each hand at the same time, one in earth, other in live, both will light brightly.

joe2010 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Friend of mine was in our new house (built around 1980).

He put 2 phase testers in a wall socket - one in top part of the wall s exocket and one in right part and they both lit up.

He did the same with another socket on different wall and it only the right part lit up
    - which he said is correct only the right part (live) should have current.

Is he correct and is this dangerous and something that must be fixed urgently?

Thanks.
    As said by others, phase testers are not the greatest test devices.

But if he was using 2 at the same time, one in each hand live to earth, both will light at a healthy socket.

At the other socket where only one lit, either the one to the earth pin was not making contact, or the earth is not connected.

This all assumes he had a phase tester in each hand at the same time, which seems a strange test method.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Have to get the L/N shutter down somehow, so explains why 2 were in use simultaneously.

• Advertisement

Dardania wrote: »
    Have to get the L/N shutter down somehow, so explains why 2 were in use simultaneously.

It's just that 2 in series like that (with the person) made the person using them believe the earth on the socket was live. If they did in fact use both together.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Devices such as this lighting provides no conclusive data.

I remember a senior electrical engineer telling me the following story:

He was on site in a large manufacturing plant when a company director called him over. The director touched a phase tester off a random bonding cable on a piece of equipment and it lit.
    "Look at this!" He shouted, "I am loosing electricity everywhere. This is costing me a fortune!! I need you to fix this immediately!".

2011 wrote: »
    Devices such as this lighting provides no conclusive data.
    Not saying it does.
    I remember a senior electrical engineer telling me the following story:
    Don't think I ever seen a neon one light which had equal potential on both ends.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Not saying it does.

I know.

Don't think I ever seen a neon one light which had equal potential on both ends.

The potential is not necessarily exactly equal.

Advertisement