Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jan transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

sky88 wrote: »
    i dont think that they should be winning the league with the team they have. i think they should be playing better then they are but the defence even on paper is average at best. no team would win a league with a defence who are collectively as bad as they have been.

Any team that has spent as much on defenders as they have should not be experiencing any difficulties at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Amazing how all these previously highly rated defenders at City are now considered rubbish.

Just coincidence I guess.

Who rated them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Amazing how all these previously highly rated defenders at City are now considered rubbish.

Just coincidence I guess.

Pep effect.

Although he did only sign one of them.

greendom wrote: »
    Any team that has spent as much on defenders as they have should not be experiencing any difficulties at the back

Then your issue is with City's recruitment, not the coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Jayop wrote: »
    Aguero would be a brilliant signing for pretty much any side. Amazing player.

Watching the Everton game last week, he was in very stroppy form. Constantly bitching to everyone, referee etc and getting involved with every little tittle tattle and argument anywhere on the field, and didn't look a happy camper at all.

Then your issue is with City's recruitment, not the coach.

Neither are blameless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Pep effect.

Although he did only sign one of them.

Thats as many as any of the other top managers signed, yet Jose, Conte and Klopp are all getting far more out of their supposedly inferior players than Pep is getting from his highly rated and expensive players.

Look how much the maligned Jones and Rojo have improved under Jose, thats what real management is, getting the best out of what you have. Pep should take note, copy Jose instead of copying Van Gaal.

greendom wrote: »
    Neither are blameless

During Guardiola's time only 1 of those defenders was recruited under his stewardship. 2 of the back four have been past their best for a while, Otamendi hasn't been able to adapt to England as well as anybody had hoped, they waste money on Mangala, and Kompany is perennially injured. Tough to blame that stuff on the coach. It is clear though that now is a time for change in the squad, while I don't think there'll be significant change to the defence in this window, it'll have to happen in the summer.

Thats as many as any of the other top managers signed, yet Jose, Conte and Klopp are all getting far more out of their supposedly inferior players than Pep is getting from his highly rated and expensive players.

Look how much the maligned Jones and Rojo have improved under Jose, thats what real management is, getting the best out of what you have. Pep should take note, copy Jose instead of copying Van Gaal.

Both teams finished level on points last season but Guardiola's City are 2 points ahead of Man Utd (despite Man Utd having the most expensive squad in history) and Pep's City are competing in the Champions League at the same time. That's not a good example to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

An actual transfer.

West Brom complete signing of Jake Livermore from Hull City for £10m

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38677137

Both teams finished level on points last season but Guardiola's City are 2 points ahead of Man Utd (despite Man Utd having the most expensive squad in history) and Pep's City are competing in the Champions League at the same time. That's not a good example to use.

So you think Pep has his defence playing well? You really think that? My word.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

During Guardiola's time only 1 of those defenders was recruited under his stewardship.

Also changed goalkeeper, which hasn't been working well so far.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Also changed goalkeeper, which hasn't been working well so far.

Granted that isn't working well, on that one I have a bit of sympathy for all involved. Bravo was brought in very late in the day and didn't have the preparation a goalkeeper should ideally have. He was excellent for Barcelona and Chile for years but perhaps his reflexes aren't as sharp as they were. It's an area to look at in the summer.

So you think Pep has his defence playing well? You really think that? My word.

Not really no, but using Guardiola to prop up Mourinho's accomplishments at Man Utd so far is also incorrect.

Do you think Mourinho has his attack playing well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Considering Guardiola got rid of Eto'o, who'd scored 36 goals in 52 goals in his first season when they won the treble, it wouldn't surprise me too much that he'd do it with Aguero. It wouldn't be the first time he's gotten rid of a big name with bags of ability just because he felt it wasn't working out. Something similar happened with Zlatan, too.

• Advertisement

Bournemouth are meant to have bid 10m for Begovic too the other day.

I'd be surprised if we got rid of him anyway.

A good back up and he counts as a HG talent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Bournemouth are meant to have bid 10m for Begovic too the other day.

I'd be surprised if we got rid of him anyway.

A good back up and he counts as a HG talent too.
    I'd say he'll push for a move if he gets a EPL medal this season, too good to be sitting on the bench full time

Do you think Mourinho has his attack playing well?

He has it playing much, much better, which as any genuine poster knows is the true measure of the manager.

Pep has his defence playing much, much worse, which is also a measure of the manager.

I'd say he'll push for a move if he gets a EPL medal this season, too good to be sitting on the bench full time

Ya, I'd agree, although I think he'll move with or without the medal, he wont dislodge Courtois anytime soon.

Hes 30 in the summer so hes probably got another 5 years before he slows down and he'd start for a few EPL sides too.

He has it playing much, much better, which as any genuine poster knows is the true measure of the manager.

Pep has his defence playing much, much worse, which is also a measure of the manager.

And yet....

On that note, it's goodbye from me. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

During Guardiola's time only 1 of those defenders was recruited under his stewardship. 2 of the back four have been past their best for a while, Otamendi hasn't been able to adapt to England as well as anybody had hoped, they waste money on Mangala, and Kompany is perennially injured. Tough to blame that stuff on the coach. It is clear though that now is a time for change in the squad, while I don't think there'll be significant change to the defence in this window, it'll have to happen in the summer.

Was he not around last summer and this January then? If it's so clear that so many of them were either past it, flops or perennially injured then surely it was incumbent on him to recognize that and address it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Pep to bin aguero and go for griezemann in the summer? Now that would be interesting to see who can throw the most cash around.

Ya, I'd agree, although I think he'll move with or without the medal, he wont dislodge Courtois anytime soon.

Hes 30 in the summer so hes probably got another 5 years before he slows down and he'd start for a few EPL sides too.

He's only 30!?

Id have guessed closer to 40 lol. Agreed that he's far too good to be a no2.

And yet....

On that note, it's goodbye from me. ;)

Ah, so to the surprise of nobody you only wanted to score points by reminding people that City are above United, rather than addressing the topic of discussion which was the continued poor performance of all defenders under Guardiola.

I do hope you enjoyed this latest example of your posting behaviour.

He's only 30!?

I think its a real shame that such a good keeper is wasting his prime years on the bench.

Is it even for money? Would the reserve keeper at a big club be getting more than the first choice at a mid table club?

I think its a real shame that such a good keeper is wasting his prime years on the bench.

Is it even for money? Would the reserve keeper at a big club be getting more than the first choice at a mid table club?

I didn't think I'd say this when we first got him but our fella is looking like that category too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

As bad as your clubs transfer window might be, at least you don't have David Moyes....

https://twitter.com/grandoldteam/status/822411782425870336

He's only 30!?

He wanted to battle with Courtois for the jersey, I think hes on about 60k which is probably double what he was on with Stoke.

When Courtois was out for 3 or 4 months last year he was very patchy. He was brilliant when we lost 3-0 to City at the Etihad, he kept it from being a cricket score.

Other games he costs us goals and points by being indecisive. Hes a good goalkeper but not good enough for the elite teams looking to win trophies IMO.

In saying that, hes far from a complete liability and would still do a fantastic job for a side that plays him for 30-40 games a year.

It'll be interesting to see what we do as regards a replacement as the Courtois to Real rumours are always around.

Ah, so to the surprise of nobody you only wanted to score points by reminding people that City are above United, rather than addressing the topic of discussion which was the continued poor performance of all defenders under Guardiola.

I do hope you enjoyed this latest example of your posting behaviour.

Mate the topic is January transfers....

If you want a full discussion on Guardiola just PM me or post something in the Man City superthread and I'll eventually get to it.

Mate the topic is January transfers....

If you want a full discussion on Guardiola just PM me or post something in the Man City superthread and I'll eventually get to it.

I'd want an honest discussion, why would I PM you? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Whats this nonsense of using klopp at liverpool as a reason to bash guardiola over Aguero?

Klopp has done pretty much the same with Daniel Sturridge, if it dont fit it doesnt fit regardless of who the player is.

Sorry for dragging this off topic.

On topic Ian Lawlor signed for Doncaster, good move, back in league 1 next year and hopefully championship soon will give him great chance of irelands first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

POKERKING wrote: »
    Whats this nonsense of using klopp at liverpool as a reason to bash guardiola over Aguero?

Klopp has done pretty much the same with Daniel Sturridge, if it dont fit it doesnt fit regardless of who the player is.

Sorry for dragging this off topic.

On topic Ian Lawlor signed for Doncaster, good move, back in league 1 next year and hopefully championship soon will give him great chance of irelands first choice.

Sturridge is completely different. He was injured every second week so Klopp didn't rush him back at all and gave him time to recover. Sturridge has actually played quite a bit this season.

We still play to Sturridge strengths and allow him to have the ball where he likes where he can use his quick feet to create space. The problem now is Sturridge has lost a lot of his pace and very rarely runs in behind like before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Hull City have signed Omar Elabdellaoui on loan from Olympiakos!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Sturridge is completely different. He was injured every second week so Klopp didn't rush him back at all and gave him time to recover. Sturridge has actually played quite a bit this season.

We still play to Sturridge strengths and allow him to have the ball where he likes where he can use his quick feet to create space. The problem now is Sturridge has lost a lot of his pace and very rarely runs in behind like before.
    489 out of a possible 1800 minutes in the league this season. If you're going to make utterly irrelevant statements in a thread about transfers at least make an effort that they are a bit factual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Origi and Firmino are both preferred to him. Sturridge is selfish and also lazy. Those attributes dont fly with Klopp when you put them together. It's no surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

report it then. Or do you just want to tell people you think it should be reported?

Did you miss the bit where i asked if there was a way to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Looks like Payet won't be heading home anyways

https://twitter.com/SkyFootball/status/822446371781431296

489 out of a possible 1800 minutes in the league this season. If you're going to make utterly irrelevant statements in a thread about transfers at least make an effort that they are a bit factual

He's our third choice strike so those minutes seem quite high. P

• Advertisement

• astradave wrote: »
    Looks like Payet won't be heading home anyways

I'd have a guess and say Bilić will let him rot away in the reserves to rub salt into his wounds.
    How much were West Ham looking for him?

Conte confirms a bid for Begovic, says the club, himself and Asmir are working towards a solution thats best for all.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd have a guess and say Bilić will let him rot away in the reserves to rub salt into his wounds.
    How much were West Ham looking for him?

I'd say your right there. Bilic strikes me as a guy who wouldn't allow you away with anything.

• emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'd say your right there. Bilic strikes me as a guy who wouldn't allow you away with anything.

I thought he handled the whole situation very well. Player looks to have got called out on his bull****e.

I thought he handled the whole situation very well. Player looks to have got called out on his bull****e.

It's not to often it happens like that. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other manager who's called the player out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Didn't Bilic leave West Ham the same way forcing a move away like Payet is trying to do now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but did Bilic himself agitate for a move away from West Ham whole he was playing for them?

Edit: Someone got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Didn't Bilic leave West Ham the same way forcing a move away like Payet is trying to do now.

No he didn't.

He said he wanted to leave but still played to his best abilities until the end of the season.
    If Payet did the same WHU fans wouldn't hate him at all.

I have a certain amount of sympathy for Payet. It appears that he and his family are homesick - wife and kids have already gone back to France.

It's obvious its not financially driven as he only wants to go to Marseille and the salary they are offering is less than he is on now. He's not interested in a mega money move to China.

Having his car vandalised outside his home his hardly likely to change his mind either.

I wouldn't be surprised if the report that Marseille are no longer in for him is just a negotiating move. If not I imagine Payet will have to put up with London a while longer. He'll realise that he needs to apologise to the club and players and he'll be back in the claret and blue in a couple of weeks.

Arghus wrote: »
    Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but did Bilic himself agitate for a move away from West Ham whole he was playing for them?

Edit: Someone got there before me.

He did. Someone posted it when the Payet story broke first. It's hypocritical but players have way to much power now a days and no player should be bigger than the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Where do ye reckon Snodgrass will end up lads? He's far too good for the championship, possibly a return to a newly promoted Leeds?

As I remember Bilic announced he'd like to leave West ham but stayed until the end of the season to keep them up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement