Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jan transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

People have to realise football is a short career and these players have to think of money after their career is over. Most won't make the same money after their playing days is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

L'prof wrote: »
    I don't see how buying superstars from all around the world is going to help the national team at all

Well because young kids in China will be more keen to watch football and their league if it has marquee players in it, then they'll naturally start playing the game themselves and the national team will have a bigger pool of players to pick from and the team improves. China are playing a long game here, they don't expect to be winning the world cup in a Decade the're looking 25 years down the road with this project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Well because young kids in China will be more keen to watch football and their league if it has marquee players in it, then they'll naturally start playing the game themselves and the national team will have a bigger pool of players to pick from and the team improves. China are playing a long game here, they don't expect to be winning the world cup in a Decade the're looking 25 years down the road with this project.

Well I guess I can't really question a nation who've been one of the most successful at the Olympics for the last 25 years but with a ranking of 82 in the world right now, they have a long way to go!

I'll say it now one of the next major moves to China will be Yaya Toure, guys a total mercenary and has fallen out of favor at City, that coupled with his age i see him moving to China as it's the only place that will pay him the wages he's currently on at City/

You could draw up a very long list of players who may be on huge wages as their careers tail away and would like to cash in on their big name status, Rooney, Terry etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

sky88 wrote: »
    People have to realise football is a short career and these players have to think of money after their career is over. Most won't make the same money after their playing days is over.

But that is essentially the point, his club career choices are entirely driven by money, not actual footballing ambition? When people refer to mercenary choices in football, that is essentially what they mean.

Witsel is a top holding midfielder, not playing at the standard his talent merits. Hunted down by two of the most decorated clubs in football but rejects due to extra money. Noone is saying his motives are in anyway bad, just simply driven by money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Most players in the top leagues make more in a year than the average man will in a lifetime.

I'm not begrudging them the money but I don't think the short career line is relevant anymore in this context. Sure if it was a lower league player moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You make it sound like they will be paupers if they don't go to China and stick around on 200k in the premier league.

A player on 200k per week on a 5 year contract will earn £52m chances are they wouldn't be able to spend that in a lifetime.

I have no problem with a player going there but don't make it sound like they have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Football must be one of the only jobs where people think there is something wrong with moving to the place that will give you the highest wage.

A lot of snobbery when it comes to football .

yabadabado wrote: »
    Football must be one of the only jobs where people think there is something wrong with moving to the place that will give you the highest wage.

It's a unique situation practically so there isn't snobbery involved when questioning the decision. I don't know how anyone can't see that.

Never heard that retort at all in the China transfer discussion. Hmmm
    Not the point people are making re Witsel etc at all and you probably know that!

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    It's a unique situation practically so there isn't snobbery involved when questioning the decision. I don't know how anyone can't see that.

Snobbery in football is always an issue.People question a player going to certain clubs because they aren't a traditional big name or are new money.
    I'd say most players don't really give a **** about the team they play for but will go wherever is best for them.

Never heard that retort at all in the China transfer discussion. Hmmm
    Not the point people are making re Witsel etc at all and you probably know that!

Did I mention China ?

Did I mention China ?

Well the whole last 2 pages are dominated by China market talk, money, fan snobbery, begrudgery etc so it is hardly a wild assumption to make that you were in some way referring to that!

Snobbery in football is always an issue.People question a player going to certain clubs because they aren't a traditional big name or are new money.
    I'd say most players don't really give a **** about the team they play for but will go wherever is best for them.

I'm talking in tha context of going to China, which was the narrative of the last few posts here.
    Players of course look for the best deal but you would think a lot would still be interested in competing for major trophies in major competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

I'll say it now one of the next major moves to China will be Yaya Toure, guys a total mercenary and has fallen out of favor at City, that coupled with his age i see him moving to China as it's the only place that will pay him the wages he's currently on at City/

Well this is from The Guardian a few weeks ago:
    Yaya Touré is often accused of being driven by ego and money – mostly, it ought to be said, because of a particularly dislikable agent, rather than the player himself – but it is not widely known the Manchester City midfielder turned his back on one offer from China last summer that would have earned him, after tax, £360,000 per week. Touré simply decided he was already an extremely wealthy man, that he would earn huge wages anyway and that, at the age of 33, he still wanted to be involved in a competitive league rather than one where its star imports counted their dosh but, in sporting terms, found little satisfaction

Not saying he won't go at some stage but this is interesting.

Well the whole last 2 pages are dominated by China market talk, money, fan snobbery, begrudgery etc so it is hardly a wild assumption to make that you were in some way referring to that!
    You assumed wrong.
    Is this still the January transfer window thread ?

You assumed wrong.
    Is this still the January transfer window thread ?

Ok.
    And Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Thing is you can say it's a short career and all that but these lads are already making more in a week then most earn in a year, Witsel would get a few million a year playing for a top club, at what point do you say "i'v got enough" It's not like going to Juventus will mean he's short of money when he retires, the money top players get already is massive, going to China is pure greed there family's are already taken care of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Looks like Gestede will be leaving Villa for Boro.

I wonder what will happen Rhodes this window, I doubt he wants to reunite Rhodes and Gestede but with Boro's lack of goals you never know.

Aguero dropped. I hazard a wild guess this will be his last season at City tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Aguero dropped. I hazard a wild guess this will be his last season at City tbh

Didn't he say he wanted to stay until city won the CL?

Vicxas wrote: »
    Didn't he say he wanted to stay until city won the CL?

Good luck to him with that Manager :D;)

*Runs................ (AIG sniffs criticism)

But seriously, a sort of comment like that is just a soundbyte. Aguero is a true admirable professional and a legend for City for ever more but I think he will move on perhaps,

PS, the Pep thing is a joke! I honestly wouldnt be surprised if City reach a semi this year and whoo knows from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Where would Aguero even go to. No chance of getting into that Barcelona XI unless one of Messi, Suarez, Neymar go to Manchester and I think he'd never go to Madrid. Lewandowski has just signed a new contract at Bayern. Swap deal with Griezmann at Atletico? Can't see that happening either. Aguero has had another good season at City considering his limited play time. Would be shocked if he left City any time soon.

Burial. wrote: »
    Where would Aguero even go to. No chance of getting into that Barcelona XI unless one of Messi, Suarez, Neymar go to Manchester and I think he'd never go to Madrid. Lewandowski has just signed a new contract at Bayern. Swap deal with Griezmann at Atletico? Can't see that happening either. Aguero has had another good season at City considering his limited play time. Would be shocked if he left City any time soon.

Well Griezmann looks like it will be a done deal with United, so I can see him returning to AM eventually. I just wouldn't be surprised to see him go, but saying that City can't afford to let him go either unless they pick up a very top class and maybe even a very good additional striker either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Well Griezmann looks like it will be a done deal with United, so I can see him returning to AM eventually. I just wouldn't be surprised to see him go, but saying that City can't afford to let him go either unless they pick up a very top class and maybe even a very good additional striker either

Not sure about done deal. Griezmann is one of the most in demand players and worthy of his price tag and there's nothing concrete yet besides some apparent Pogba bromance and supposedly being a United fan. Don't see Aguero going back to Atletico ever tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ryan Babel signs for Besiktas. Was he a free agent up to now?

https://twitter.com/Besiktas/status/815902084281274368

nice jersey, that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

The head looks photoshopped on to the body and also looks like he hasn't aged at all. Reminds me of a Fulham jersey from a couple of years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

He's been tearing it up at Deportivo.

• Advertisement

astradave wrote: »
    The head looks photoshopped on to the body and also looks like he hasn't aged at all. Reminds me of a Fulham jersey from a couple of years ago

He is only 30!! :D He was 25 when he left Liverpool!

But for the fun of it all, here he was when he left England!

600full-ryan-babel.jpg

He is only 30!! :D He was 25 when he left Liverpool!

But for the fun of it all, here he was when he left England!

600full-ryan-babel.jpg

He looks about 5 years younger now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Did he arrive by helicopter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Can China take Mike Dean already?

Bayern have given Paul Clement permission to talk to Swansea. That could be a very interesting appointment.

https://twitter.com/fcbayernen/status/815915128931622912

Bayern have given Paul Clement permission to talk to Swansea. That could be a very interesting appointment.

https://twitter.com/fcbayernen/status/815915128931622912

Well he will be managing in The Championship next season if thats the case. No way is that squad staying up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ridiculous appointment considering he only lasted 8 months at Derby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Dempsey wrote: »
    Ridiculous appointment considering he only lasted 8 months at Derby

The team were 5th when he was sacked so it was a pretty harsh decision to get rid of him at Derby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The team were 5th when he was sacked so it was a pretty harsh decision to get rid of him at Derby.

Think they were only 5 points off the top at the time too.

Think Clement is a great appointment. He has an outstanding coaching cv. In his first managerial stint he took over a Derby team that had finished 8th and he took them to the top of the table by late December, just 6 weeks later following a bad run he was sacked. Looked like a very premature and panic sacking by a Derby owner that assumed the club should be in the top 2. He may not keep Swansea up, but he should be given 18 months at least. It may not work out, but a low risk appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

• Advertisement

Lumbo wrote: »

Supposed to be holding out for what they paid for him.Probably get it if a few clubs want him.

He has no future at United but is a good solid player who will improve plenty of teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Supposed to be holding out for what they paid for him.Probably get it if a few clubs want him.

He has no future at United but is a good solid player who will improve plenty of teams.
    An injury to Herrera or Pogba would change things at United for him. He is more than just a 'good solid player'.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Think Clement is a great appointment. He has an outstanding coaching cv. In his first managerial stint he took over a Derby team that had finished 8th and he took them to the top of the table by late December, just 6 weeks later following a bad run he was sacked. Looked like a very premature and panic sacking by a Derby owner that assumed the club should be in the top 2. He may not keep Swansea up, but he should be given 18 months at least. It may not work out, but a low risk appointment.

Swansea have been going through managers because of poor results. Sacking Bradley after 2 months is a sign of panic, then again, the decision to hire him in the first place was questionable.

I like Clement but with the problems at Swansea and timeframe to sort it out, an experienced manager with a reputation of sorting out problems like they are going through is what they needed. I dont think these owners have hired Clement with a relegation scenario in mind. He'll have failed to meet expectations if they are relegated, whether they sack him or he has a clause to walk away etc is yet to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

eagle eye wrote: »
    An injury to Herrera or Pogba would change things at United for him. He is more than just a 'good solid player'.

Totally wasted at united the past 2 seasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Southampton must buy at least one striker this window.

eagle eye wrote: »

He's not even making the bench now,its fairly obvious Jose doesnt have him in his plans.He has something 10 minutes of playing time in the league so far.
    I dont think an injury to either of those players will make much difference to his situation other than getting promoted to the bench.

Is he much more than a good solid player ?Looked good at Southampton but hasnt made the step up required at United at all.

Spare a thought for our Giggsy, always the bridesmaid never the bride :D

Sneijder next to head to China, 2 offers submitted according to the link.

https://twitter.com/football_oranje/status/816327379303993344?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Advertisement
Advertisement