Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jan transfer window

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

domrush wrote: »
    Ah cman ye're sixth in the league. There's been major improvement in the side since Jose but to think ye could be challenging for the CL next year is delusional. You'll be doing well to be in it.

Man united are 5 points behind Spurs and Liverpool in 2nd. Spurs and Liverpool are 7 points behind Chelsea.

People are not laughing at / ruling out those two clubs of catching Chelsea or at least staying there in 2nd yet others think united will be in the Europa next year or "doing well" to get into CL when they're only 5 points behind 2nd and 4 behind 4th.

Table positions mean very little at this stage. United can also get CL if they win Europa let's not forget. Table doesn't lie and the points tally at this stage is more significant than the bloody position!!

Someone tell Palace and Boro to relax now that they're 17th and 16th.

Having a shot at the CL next year is a bit much I'll agree there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Nalz wrote: »
    Man united are 5 points behind Spurs and Liverpool in 2nd. Spurs and Liverpool are 7 points behind Chelsea.

People are not laughing at / ruling out those two clubs of catching Chelsea or at least staying there in 2nd yet others think united will be in the Europa next year or "doing well" to get into CL when they're only 5 points behind 2nd and 4 behind 4th.

Table positions mean very little at this stage. United can also get CL if they win Europa let's not forget. Table doesn't lie and the points tally at this stage is more significant than the bloody position!!

Think anyone in the top 6 bar Chelsea will be doing well to be in it, not just United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

domrush wrote: »
    Ah cman ye're sixth in the league. There's been major improvement in the side since Jose but to think ye could be challenging for the CL next year is delusional. You'll be doing well to be in it.

I never said United would be challenging for the CL next season.Just no way of knowing what will happen over the course of the next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,380 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Nalz wrote: »

In fairness you've had a very decent run of fixtures in your unbeaten run. You beat Spurs when they were struggling a bit, (and that seems to given them a shake to get back on track) and got a draw against a weakened Liverpool in OT, did ye draw against Arsenal in that run as well?

You have improved massively over last year but when you meet the bigger teams we will get a better picture of where you are, if you beat them you'll jump up the table, if not you'll be relying on other results.

I think you will get top 4 but will need a few points to spare with your last three games being Arsenal and Spurs away and Palace at home.

Edit: might be best in another thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Could swear this was the Jan transfer thread.

My bad

Gavlor wrote: »
    Could swear this was the Jan transfer thread.

My bad

The guy trolling in other threads shouldn't really be pointing these things out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Not this nonsense again

Amazing he's only the third best player in the world behind Ronaldo & Messi
    A nothing player bill

There are 3 players at Barca alone better than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

emmetkenny wrote: »
    The guy trolling in other threads shouldn't really be pointing these things out :rolleyes:

Well I never.

Anyway, smart from united applying a buy back option to the depay/Lyon deal.

Gavlor wrote: »
    Well I never.

Anyway, smart from united applying a buy back option to the depay/Lyon deal.

He looked great in Holland and loads of big clubs were interested in him at the time. Strange he did so poorly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Well lads any transfers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Well lads any transfers?
    Tiago Ilori to Reading from Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

• There are 3 players at Barca alone better than him

Opinions are cool
    Who's better than him?

Opinions are cool
    Who's better than him?

Suarez. I'm sure the OP was also classing Neymar ahead of him.

Griezman is a very very good player but he's not at Suarez level yet, although if he keeps improving he might get there.

• emmetkenny wrote: »
    Suarez. I'm sure the OP was also classing Neymar ahead of him.

Griezman is a very very good player but he's not at Suarez level yet, although if he keeps improving he might get there.

That's like comparing chalk with cheese
    Two very different players

I'm still not hearing why Suarez is a better player? Better Goalscorer yes. All round player? No.

Greizmann isn't just a very good player, he's a world class player and has proved it

I'm still not hearing why Suarez is a better player? Better Goalscorer yes. All round player? No.

Greizmann isn't just a very good player, he's a world class player and has proved it

I use world class a little stricter than most, Messi and Ronaldo. Everyone else is a step below them so I wouldn't put anyone else in the same world class bracket.

The OP said there are three better players than him at Barca and I assume Messi was one and Suarez and Neymar were the other two. I don't think he mentioned better in Griezman position?

I'd say you'd have loads of people thinking those three are better than him but it's all opinions at the end of the day.

• emmetkenny wrote: »
    The OP said there are three better players than him at Barca and I assume Messi was one and Suarez and Neymar were the other two. I don't think he mentioned better in Griezman position?

I'd say you'd have loads of people thinking those three are better than him but it's all opinions at the end of the day.

My OP stated that he's the third best player in the world
    Behind Messi and Ronaldo

So again that leaves two other players it could possible be.
    Suarez or Neymar?
    And no, I don't believe either of those two are a better all round player than Greizmann

My OP stated that he's the third best player in the world
    Behind Messi and Ronaldo

So again that leaves two other players it could possible be.
    Suarez or Neymar?
    And no, I don't believe either of those two are a better all round player than Greizmann

Ah I missed your first post I was only commenting on the other poster and your reply to him, my apologies.

I don't rate Neymar at all but I'd definitely have Suarez in my team before Griezman if I could only choose one, but at the end of the day Griezman is much younger and will be around a lot longer than Suarez.

Moral of the story, if I could have both I would :D

• Advertisement

Gabriel Jesus to Man City confirmed today.

Where does he rank on a list of the world's best players?

Did he not sign during the summer?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Did he not sign during the summer?
    Deal was announced but only finalised today.

Deal was announced but only finalised today.

Ah right. Looks a good player from the few bits I've seen of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just what City need another winger/attacking midfielder to compete with Sterling, Silva, Sane, De Bruyne, Navas (probably more too)

The squad is so unbalanced, the central midfield is average and the defence is brutal.

Txiki Begiristain has created an expensive mess at city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Where has he proved he is a world class player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I'd say with little justification, and little depth to my argument but with total conviction having only seen him play a handfull of times that he's the 3rd best player in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Suarez not a better player than Griezmann? I really despair sometimes.

Suarez is a very complete player who can create and assist goals from anywhere on the pitch, he is much more than a goalscorer.

Griezmann is Top 5 but he is no way better than Suarez

Bristol City just signed Fabian Giefer on loan from Schalke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Quazzie wrote: »

In la liga and the champions league for the past few seasons and for France in the Euro's.He finished 3rd for the ballon d'or also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

In a world of around 7 billion people there's only two 'world class' players? A bit odd that lol

• Advertisement

• I'd say with little justification, and little depth to my argument but with total conviction having only seen him play a handfull of times that he's the 3rd best player in the world.

Ewww bad reasoning
    Can't see how you can comment. Only people who go to every la liga game and read copious amounts of peps novels should be allowed hold an opinion

• Quazzie wrote: »

Dingus got there first
    What's your point?

Ewww bad reasoning
    Can't see how you can comment. Only people who go to every la liga game and read copious amounts of peps novels should be allowed hold an opinion

That, or I'll accept people who even watch a player on a semi-regular basis....speaking of which I can't remember seeing you comment too often on Atletico matches in the La Liga thread....

That, or I'll accept people who even watch a player on a semi-regular basis....speaking of which I can't remember seeing you comment too often on Atletico matches in the La Liga thread....

Just because he doesn't post about Laliga doesn't mean he doesn't watch it.. a nonsense argument

astradave wrote: »
    Just because he doesn't post about Laliga doesn't mean he doesn't watch it.. a nonsense argument

Does he watch it? His explanation for saying Griezmann didn't mention that he watches him. I'll be sure to discuss the intricacies of the next Atletico match with him so.

Does he watch it? His explanation for saying Griezmann didn't mention that he watches him. I'll be sure to discuss the intricacies of the next Atletico match with him so.

No but you implied that he should be posting in the La Liga thread if he watches Atletico. Which is nonsense. But I wouldn't be surprised anything else from you.. ;)

• astradave wrote: »

I will have a guess and say he knows this but chooses to post nonsense posts to waste people's time

I will have a guess and say he knows this but chooses to post nonsense posts to waste people's time

Well I won't be holding any of his opinions on Gabriel Jesus with any weight.. I have not seen enough posts about the Brazilian leagues from him

Well I'm looking forward to our chat later about Atletico vs Eibar.

• Well I'm looking forward to our chat later about Atletico vs Eibar.

Again I don't have to discuss anything about LA liga on boards to hold an opinion
    So have fun with your discussion with yourself

• Advertisement

Jake Livermore having a medical at West Brom. Wonder if they'll find anything up his nose?

In la liga and the champions league for the past few seasons and for France in the Euro's.He finished 3rd for the ballon d'or also.
    Ewww bad reasoning
    He has won nothing in La Liga or in the Champions League. He had a decent Euros but that's about it. World class players win trophies. He's proven nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

rob316 wrote: »
    Just what City need another winger/attacking midfielder to compete with Sterling, Silva, Sane, De Bruyne, Navas (probably more too)

The squad is so unbalanced, the central midfield is average and the defence is brutal.

Txiki Begiristain has created an expensive mess at city.

I've seen Jesus play in a central attacking/forward role for Brazil, maybe he'll back up or alternate with Aguero. He looked good the bit I saw of him, clinical finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭stesaurus

He has won nothing in La Liga or in the Champions League. He had a decent Euros but that's about it. World class players win trophies. He's proven nothing.

Yeah of course, trophies = world class. All those world class Greek players after 2004. Or Leicester last season. Team trophies don't necessarily indicate anything from an individual perspective. How about Gerrard at PL level, obviously he's crap right as he never won it.

He's probably been Atletico's best player overall in the last few years. He's got better than a 1 in 2 scoring record which unless you're Messi/Ronaldo is fantastic at the top level. He has proven himself individually and raised his club team almost to the very top which considering their resources is phenomenal.

s.welstead wrote: »
    Yeah of course, trophies = world class. All those world class Greek players after 2004. Or Leicester last season. Team trophies don't necessarily indicate anything from an individual perspective. How about Gerrard at PL level, obviously he's crap right as he never won it.

He's probably been Atletico's best player overall in the last few years. He's got better than a 1 in 2 scoring record which unless you're Messi/Ronaldo is fantastic at the top level. He has proven himself individually and raised his club team almost to the very top which considering their resources is phenomenal.

By your reasoning I'm making a strong case for Diego Costa as 3rd best player in the world. Unlike Griezmann, he actually did lead Atletico Madrid to the top, winning the league, semi finalists in the Copa Del Rey and Champions League finalists too. Then he went and won the PL for Chelsea just for good measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Br4gMbDIMAA4XQr.png

• Quazzie wrote: »

Alexander-Buttner-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-Football365.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

couldnt disagree more thats like saying suarez wasnt world class at liverpool, shearer was never world class except one season. the list could go on and on were world class players havent won trophys.

Gerrard won 2 FA cups, and a Champions League, along with many other trophies. He was also never considered to be third in the world.
    He is their best player, but his 1 in 2 scoring record is in a relatively poor league dominated by two teams. Outside them two the rest of the teams are relatively poor quality. You claim that he has solely raised his club team to the very top is laughable. Athleti have got where they are mostly down to their manager and how he makes the team play for each other, and certainly not because one players brought them there.

• Advertisement

PICTURE
    Does pointing out individual players that one the odd trophy along the way really count as a valid argument in the debate of whether world class players win trophies or not? If it does then Boards.ie has really fallen in terms of the level of discussion in recent times.

Don't worry tho, you'll get your thanks from your MU chums and you'll feel great again. Well done.

Advertisement