Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth switching from MTB to road bike?

Options
  • 19-12-2016 1:00am

Howdy folks,

Just looking to ask a quick question of ye, and ye're knowledge of the world of cycling.

I have a mountain bike. It's about 5 years old I'd say. Gets occassional use (once a fortnight i'd say). Has a few minor issues but nothing €50-60 wouldn't sort out I'd guess, and you can ride away into the sunset on it any time without any real headaches.

However, I've been considering picking up a roadbike and getting rid of the mountain bike.

I attend a gym that's about 15km away from me 3 times a week. I drive there and back and it's grand. I have cycled a few times (if anyone's familiar, i live near Aura in Drogheda, and I cycle to Tullyallen via the boardwalk and up the hill at King William Glen).

(for those unfamiliar, it's a cycle thats 85% pavement, 15% wood (boardwalk/decking, with a relatively drawn out uphill section at the end, albeit not overly steep).

So I am forever hearing about how road bikes are much nicer to cycle and if you're staying on the road/paths/pavement (ie not muck or grass) then you should get one instead of a mountain bike.

But i was wondering if there's any real merit to this? Is it actually worth swapping over or are the effects only really noticeable to those doing longer distances or who are much 'into' cycling?

I've been trying to lose weight and get in shape for a fair section of this year (relatively successful) so id like to get a decent bit of cycling in if I could, whilst at it, as I think it could be fun, so on one hand Im thinking a road bike will add a novelty factor (new bike, etc) but not sure if it'll really make any difference?

Apologies if this has been done to death, but I've not found much on searching.

Also, I'm 5'9", i know bikes are sized differently, but using that as a rough guide, could anyone link to anything on donedeal/adverts etc in Louth/Meath/Dublin that could be worth looking at? (figure if i am gonna change i may aswell look at the 2nd hand market) :)

Cheers and sorry for lengthy post :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Can't help with sizing but if you have the room then don't replace, add the road bike.

I use a hybrid for the commute (similar distance to your trip to the gym) and the road bike for the longer stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Can't help with sizing but if you have the room then don't replace, add the road bike.

I use a hybrid for the commute (similar distance to your trip to the gym) and the road bike for the longer stuff. :)

If you want to get into cycling, on the road, then a road bike is for you as opposed to a hybrid.

If it's just for the gym commute then the first thing I'd ask is how long does it currently take you and if the upgrade price is worth the difference? Egan a road bike will relatively easily do 25 To 30 kmhr on the flat but if you have some trails on your way then that speed will slow. Also depending on the type of trails you may need wider tyres so it may be a hybrid or cyclo-cross you need.

Anyway how long does it currently take?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The part between the ramparts and the boardwalk can be a bit hairy on a road bike. I'd go for a CX if I were you OP. Best of both worlds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Is it actually worth swapping over or are the effects only really noticeable to those doing longer distances or who are much 'into' cycling?

Road bikes are much more fun on the road, and if the aim of the game is to lose weight by cycling more, you'll cycle more if you enjoy the cycling. Depends on the type and weight of your MTB, but if it is not that light and 26" wheel, you'd really notice the difference going to a road bike.

FWIW, my main bike is a CX, and it is certainly the better solution if you include some light off road in your cycling. The wider tyres also makes it a very comfortable bike to cycle with options for knobblies and studs. Not as efficient as a road bike on good roads, but also a fun bike to cycle over any distances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you were just planning on using the bike to get to the gym, i'd suggest the one you have is probably fine for that - i'm planning on starting to cycle to work again, and will probably use the mountain bike as the road bike is not suitable for the commute (mudguards are a problem, for a start).

while a road bike is better for the open road, your mountain bike is probably more than adequate for the journey you've mentioned. stick some road tyres on it, if whats on it are knobblies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Also worth keeping in mind OP that if you upgrade your bike. What is the security like at the gym as with most shiny new things they tend to attract the wrong kind of attention when you're away from it.

As others have said though if you plan on getting into longer distances then pick up a road bike you'll find the difference noticeable.

I'd hang onto the mtb for the gym commute also you mention one of your aims is to lose weight. You'll find just by using the bike you're currently on you're working harder and burning more calories etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Keep the MTB and buy a road bike. MTB is always handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not sure I'd bother changing if it's just for the commute mentioned. A change of tyres might be something to try first, as has been mentioned.

fwiw in my experience (of trying to lose weight, so watching calories burned for different exercises using a HRM), a mountain bike will burn more. Easier means less effort, which means less calories.

If you want to get into road cycling, get a road bike, but I'd be reluctant to advise getting rid of the current one, for short trips to the gym/ shops etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

Folks, thanks for the replies.

I appreciate the input. I suppose the best thing to do is just leave it sit for a while. I'll convince myself that I'll use the mountain bike and cycle daily for the moment, or at least 3-4 times a week, for lengthy cycles.

If I'm still doing it in February, I'll invest in a road bike. Otherwise I'll stay put :)

P_1 wrote: »
    The part between the ramparts and the boardwalk can be a bit hairy on a road bike. I'd go for a CX if I were you OP. Best of both worlds.

I don't really cycle that, to be honest. I'd normally come across Marley's Lane, turn left at LMFM (going past St Olivers school) and joining the boardwalk from the roadway.

I find that the trail at the ramparts is just too mucky in any kind of rainy weather to bother with.

• Advertisement

Folks, just in relation to my query here.. I enjoy cycling but find (for fitness reasons) it can become a tad dull.

However, lately I've taken to jogging a bit. The fact that there's always a few 5k events around the place makes it easy to get interested, because you can sign up for a few events, and when you know you've a deadline and you'll definitely be doing XYZ in a few weeks, it kinda spurs you on to get out and do a little bit of jogging to try and be fit enough for it.

Then there are 5 mile events, 8k events, 10ks, etc so you can progress onwards as you go. There's also runireland.com with a good calendar of upcoming events, etc. so it's easy to find things.

Is the same (or similar) true for cycling, by any chance? I reckon i'd get a bit more interested in cycling by things like that.

I know the local cycling shop (Quay Cycles) have a sunday cycle each week (or at least I am lead to believe they do) but it's not something i'd be mad into until i was able be be sure i was fit for it etc. and joining in on an established group of people wouldn't be something i'd fancy throwing myself into (whereas with a 5k jog, you train on your own if you like, and then just potter along to the event when it's on. Nice little community spirit, but no fear of intruding on a group of friends out for a jog, etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Folks, just in relation to my query here.. I enjoy cycling but find (for fitness reasons) it can become a tad dull.

However, lately I've taken to jogging a bit. The fact that there's always a few 5k events around the place makes it easy to get interested, because you can sign up for a few events, and when you know you've a deadline and you'll definitely be doing XYZ in a few weeks, it kinda spurs you on to get out and do a little bit of jogging to try and be fit enough for it.

Then there are 5 mile events, 8k events, 10ks, etc so you can progress onwards as you go. There's also runireland.com with a good calendar of upcoming events, etc. so it's easy to find things.

Is the same (or similar) true for cycling, by any chance? I reckon i'd get a bit more interested in cycling by things like that.

I know the local cycling shop (Quay Cycles) have a sunday cycle each week (or at least I am lead to believe they do) but it's not something i'd be mad into until i was able be be sure i was fit for it etc. and joining in on an established group of people wouldn't be something i'd fancy throwing myself into (whereas with a 5k jog, you train on your own if you like, and then just potter along to the event when it's on. Nice little community spirit, but no fear of intruding on a group of friends out for a jog, etc.).

Strava is quite the personal motivator tbh.

It gives you ickle digital badges when you complete certain "goals/activities"

You'd be surprised how motivational it can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Yes there are Sportif's that range from 30km to 200km that you can ride setting incremental challenges on the way and then if you want more Audax caters for 200km to 1400km+. You also have racing that starts at club league, usually 30-40km and about an hour, through the lowest rung of domestic racing, A4 which is usually 50-80km in length, to A3,2,1 and multi day races covering 120km a day for 2-3 days.

You need to be pretty fit to race A4 as due to the bunch nature of racing, unlike running if you get dropped you are in for a lonely ride on your own at a much slower speed. It's not that hard to get fit enough to race, but there's not much fun to be had until you are at a level where you can get round A4 in the bunch.

CI Leisure Calendar - http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/events-calendar/leisure-events
    CI Race Calendar - http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/events-calendar/road-events
    Audax Calendar - http://www.audaxireland.org/tag/2016/

Sorry folks, haven't read the above replies properly. Will do so in about an hour when I am back at the PC.

But just seen this and was wondering what ye think?

http://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/road-bike/11984777

I measured my MTB earlier and from bottom to top (beneath where the pedals are, to where the steel frame ends under the saddle) is 20". There's a plastic grip thing on the seat then (to hold the saddle in place) that's an extra 2" (so 22" total). Would this mean that my frame is 20"?

If so its the same as the bike above. I know nothing of bikes, though, and I'm genuinely just going on price and looks above. that bike looks to have been taken care of and seems a good price so spend on a bike starting out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What I did was get skinny slick tyres for the mtb, you can easily get 40mm tyres, and possibly skinnier.
    Pump these up hard and you'll roll as fast as a road bike.
    What you don't want is suspension, that sucks your energy.

I'd get strava on yer phone, use it to track your times. See if there's a progression in improvement.
    Then consider spending money.

Road bikes are a money pit compared to mountain bikes, things break, chains wear out, you get punctures, the brakes are worse,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

^^^ Its only €200 so probably worth a try if you want to test the waters with a road bike, but!.. If you like the road bike over the mountain bike (and you will) you'll be ungrading very soon.

For that 15km commute to the gym I'd be looking at a hybrid, they're slightly slower than a road bike but way, WAY more comfortable as a commuter.

Someone mentioned a cyclocross bike, I have one which I change the wheels on for summer and winter riding. They're better as a commuter than a pure roadie because you can take in some trails.

Someone said to add to your mountain bike, I'd sell it and put the money off a hybrid then if you find you're really liking the cycling and want to push the distances out a bit then keep the hybrid for commuting and add a road bike for training over longer distances.

Personally if I'm cycling less than 20-30km, ie for going to work, gym etc I use my hybrid 90% of the time.

Either way in the mean time because you're not cycling too much I'd recommend you keep your costs low, but be prepared to upgrade in the future.. There's nothing as bad as spending a ton of money on a bike which doesn't suit you, or fits you. I done it a long time ago, I bought a bike which was way too bike for me and hated the damned thing but I was ignorant of having a bike fit done and the shop I bough from didn't give a toss.. it was an expensive lesson. So until you're a little more clued in keep your costs low.

Cheers for all the replies and advice folks.

I seen that in my searches I kept coming across two bikes, both Carrera. A 'TDF' and a 'Virtuoso'. I googled them out of curiousity and seen they both seem to originate from Halfords, and the Virtuoso gets better reviews than the TDF.

Now, I know nothing about bikes anyway, so you could give me a piece of wood shaped like a bike and I'd be a happy camper. But given the option, i figured the Virtuoso would be the way to go.

So I contacted a few people on Adverts and donedeal and this is, I suppose, a christmas present to myself:

20161223_145438.jpg

I was only on it for about 3-4 minutes, and it felt really weird. Nearly hit a car, and nearly fell off. Feels very different to a mountain bike (I was in a business park, but there wasn't really anyone around). Could pick up speed on it easily enough which was fun. Slowing down, not so much fun.

I quickly got the feel of it though. :)

The lad selling it had a rake of bikes for sale and was talking about how he changed X and Y on it for new parts. But I know nothing about bikes, so he could have just stripped off anything that was decent and replaced it with rubbish and i'd be none the wiser anyway. (he seems to be a small business and was writing me a receipt etc.). Said he serviced it, replaced the deraileur (spelling?), re-taped the handlebars, etc. and it does look to be in good condition.

The brakes feel like they could do with a little tightening, but it was comfortable and the right size. I paid a total of €160 for it (and probably spent about a tenner on diesel going to get it) so I can't complain at all. Will have to get a decent set of lights on it (have some already) and will get a proper lock for it, and I'll be good to go.

It looks brand new, in fairness, and all the components seem to be cared for (in that, to my untrained eye, there's not much in the way of rust or such).

I'm a happy camper. Could be €160 down the drain but if the spin around the business park is anything to go by, I've found myself a new hobby :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

^^^ You don't have to spend money on a bike fit but I would recommend you do a basic fit, there are instructional's on youtube. It'll help prevent injury and fatigue, and it'll make the bike far more comfortable than one not fit for you.

And best of luck with it, nice bike. And don't let anyone say anything negative about a Halfords bike either. My hybrid is a Halfords bike and I use on a daily 40km round trip to and from work.

Merry Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Well wear op that's a grand bus ya have there and perfectly suited to your needs.

One thing I would do if I were you is loosen the face plate bolts on your stem and rotate the bars around a little. It will make you sit a bit more upright which should be a bit more comfortable and take a bit of weight off the bars which will reduce the twitchy feeling you're getting from the steering.

It could do with a bit of bar tape and that could possibly be the first foray into bike maintenance.

As for the braking there is no comparison between a mtb and road bike partly to do with disc v rim brakes but also you lose the chunky tyres and locking up the wheels on a road bike can loosen your bowels a tad at times ;)

All the best and enjoy. It would be worth investing in a track pump and puncture repair kit/spare tube etc You should be able to pick up the necessities for under €50

Good luck and enjoy :)

Folks, thanks again for the help and advice :)

I picked up another (better) set of lights on amazon, a phone holder and a lock for it, for about €35.

I reckon I won't bother with a puncture repair kit as Im not sure Id have the necessary skillz to do it on the side of the road, anyway? and a pump, is, i'd imagine, useless without a puncture repair kit?

That said.. if it's relatively easy to do a puncture repair on the roadside, is it then worth getting a little saddle bag, and sticking a mini pump and repair kit in it? I wouldnt mind having them if they're actually worth having and it's easy enough for a novice to do (I never changed a puncture on a bike before, silly as it may sound, i know theyre supposed to be easy enough, though).

iwillhtfu, i whipped out an alan key earlier and adjusted the handlebars. They were slightly too far to the right on it anyway so i wanted to even them out a bit. (could tell by the paint being worn where they'd normally be clamped).. So I uprighted them a tad, but haven't been on it since, so not sure if it will make much difference just yet.

Happy Christmas to ye guys. I appreciate the help and assistance :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Most people bring a spare tube or 2 to sort punctures out.

If you're taking the back wheel off, put the chain in the smallest cog gear on the back.

If you're taking either wheel off, there's a little cam on the brakes, you flip it up to loosen the brakes, and get the wheel on or off easier, then down to tighten the brakes up again.

Advertisement