Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clean bike wont start

• 19-12-2016 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Had the bike 5 month. Serviced in October.

Fitted fly screen to it yesterday and gave it a clean and lubed the chain.

Turned it over after wash and reparked it with no problem.

This morning she wouldn't turn over. 9 degs out, so not too cold.

Is there anything I could've done which would cause it to not start?

Battery seems fine. Console and light come on, but engine doesn't seem to want to tick over.

Left it with the cover off today, maybe some water/condensation got in somewhere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Double check the kill switch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Water in electrics.
    Dry the switchgear and spray with dewatering fluid. Check water isn't lying in the sparkplug wells.
    Blow them out with an airline.
    Check plug leads for cracks etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Had the bike 5 month. Serviced in October.

Fitted fly screen to it yesterday and gave it a clean and lubed the chain.

Turned it over after wash and reparked it with no problem.

This morning she wouldn't turn over. 9 degs out, so not too cold.

Is there anything I could've done which would cause it to not start?

Battery seems fine. Console and light come on, but engine doesn't seem to want to tick over.

Left it with the cover off today, maybe some water/condensation got in somewhere

How long did you leave it running after the wash? With good conditions a battery will need around 10 minutes to recover from starting the bike, with the cold it could be double.

Can you try to bump start it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

not long, less than 5 minutes I would guess. long enough to dry the surfaces and repark it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

battery I'd wager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

is there a sidestand switch, or clutch lever switch ? Easy to give the connector a tug when cleaning etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    is there a sidestand switch, or clutch lever switch ? Easy to give the connector a tug when cleaning etc.

I'll check in a few when I get home. Taken almost an hour extra without the bike.
    Hope it's just a water related issue. Can't commute like this for a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I did this myself when i was young, cleaned my old '78 Kawasaki Z400 before my test and killed it with water. It got into the electrics and shorted the rectifier.

Checked everywhere I can. Can't see any errant water pooling. Took seat off check battery. Checked side stand. Sprayed wd40 everywhere. And it's not turning over.

Attached a vid. If it works, to show what happens with the start. Not sure it's battery. Maybe spark plugs?
    https://youtu.be/XxuEwovIsyo

Checked everywhere I can. Can't see any errant water pooling. Took seat off check battery. Checked side stand. Sprayed wd40 everywhere. And it's not turning over.

Attached a vid. If it works, to show what happens with the start. Not sure it's battery. Maybe spark plugs?
    https://youtu.be/XxuEwovIsyo

Not your battery: it's 100% - your bike is turning over fine.
    Unlikely it's plugs. No way all 4 fail simultaneously, at least one or two should kick.

I know you've checked, but I still say it's either : kill switch, sidestand or clutch switch interlock. I know you said you checked the sidestand - how, exactly ? Did you see the switch on it ?

Out if curiosity - does your bike have an immobiliser? What make is the bike ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Not your battery: it's 100% - your bike is turning over fine.
    Unlikely it's plugs. No way all 4 fail simultaneously, at least one or two should kick.

I know you've checked, but I still say it's either : kill switch, sidestand or clutch switch interlock. I know you said you checked the sidestand - how, exactly ? Did you see the switch on it ?

Out if curiosity - does your bike have an immobiliser? What make is the bike ?

Honda cbf 600, has an immobiliser.

I checked the side stand to see the connection of the wire was loosened. it seemed unmoved.

Kill switch was in the on position, sprayed wd40 into it.

when I was washing the bike I avoided the console and front end of the bike and low pressure on the hose.

I'm leaning towards the immobiliser now you've mentioned it.

So your bike has the HISS system ? You didn't use a plain unchipped key, did you (seen it done)
    Have you a 2nd (chipped) key ?

As for the sidestand, it isn't whether the connection is loose or not, it's whether water has got into the switch, or the switch is acting up. What I would do there is unplug the switch at the connector, and then short the two wires together temporarily - use a piece of wire or something - and maybe get someone to try the starter button while you do it.

Ditto the clutch switch if it has one.

And, frankly, ditto the kill switch one as well.

(I don't have a diagram for you bike, but the switches we're talking about are normally closed, for the bike to start. If by weird coincidence they're the other way around (normally open), try starting just by disconnecting them. Either way, one way or the other should get at least an attempt to fire).

Ode To The Motorist

So your bike has the HISS system ? You didn't use a plain unchipped key, did you (seen it done)
    Have you a 2nd (chipped) key ?

As for the sidestand, it isn't whether the connection is loose or not, it's whether water has got into the switch, or the switch is acting up. What I would do there is unplug the switch at the connector, and then short the two wires together temporarily - use a piece of wire or something - and maybe get someone to try the starter button while you do it.

Ditto the clutch switch if it has one.

And, frankly, ditto the kill switch one as well.

(I don't have a diagram for you bike, but the switches we're talking about are normally closed, for the bike to start. If by weird coincidence they're the other way around (normally open), try starting just by disconnecting them. Either way, one way or the other should get at least an attempt to fire).

Same key I always use. So I would guess it's fine. I have a spare I'll try tonight.

Not sure about the rest, gonna be frustrating. May need a mechanic at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sit on bike Kick up stand

Kick down stand

Then kick stand up again.

Then try turning over.

Any update on this ??

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Is the fuel turned on
    Do you have a spark? (Pull a plug and see if it's sparking )

I couldn't get it going, so I shipped it to Megabikes. It was due for a service in a few hundred miles anyway.

after the service they said they ran a battery load test and couldn't get decent results. but that might have been because of all the attempts at starting it.
    New battery and it starts.

They switched out the sparkplugs and said 2 were near burnt out, or in pretty bad shape.

Running fine now.

added heated grips myself and no problems.

I couldn't get it going, so I shipped it to Megabikes. It was due for a service in a few hundred miles anyway.

after the service they said they ran a battery load test and couldn't get decent results. but that might have been because of all the attempts at starting it.
    New battery and it starts.

They switched out the sparkplugs and said 2 were near burnt out, or in pretty bad shape.

Running fine now.

added heated grips myself and no problems.

.......hmmmmmm.............that 'dead' battery doesn't tally with the video you put up: that bike was turning over fine. Dead plugs, maybe.

Ode To The Motorist

.......hmmmmmm.............that 'dead' battery doesn't tally with the video you put up: that bike was turning over fine. Dead plugs, maybe.

plugs certainly.

Battery probably could've been jumped.

Previous owner had the bike for a few years and never replaced the battery. He kept receipts for all work and I didn't see any for a battery, so I'd say it was probably due for replacement soon enough. So I was happy enough to get it done then, rather than repeating the same process in a few months.

Advertisement