Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

trying to loose weight on no money

• 19-12-2016 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

As the post title says, I really want and need to loose a few stone for health reasons.

Only thing is I'm broke.
    Most gyms are direct debt or over my limit.

Plus the healthy eating food stuff can come to a pretty penny.

I guess the advise I am looking for. Is how to loose weight while on a budget.
    I am saving ATM to join a gym. Just need something in the mean time to keep me motivated.

I got a few tips here and there on healthy eating on a budget and stuff, but I'm a lurking to this part of boards and know. Well hope I can get some good advice 😊

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Now that should be fairly easy and work hand in hand. Cos in order to lose weight you don't have to eat fancy expensive stuff, you just have to eat less. Win-win situation, whats the problem here?

Edit: Sorry for stating the obvious, also most healthy food is actually cheaper than the not so healthy stuff, like fruit, veg, rice for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's mainly diet anyway, rather than exercise/ gym. But anyway, walking or running or body weight exercises don't have to be done in the gym.

In my experience, my diet is cheaper now than it was when I was 20 stone and eating crap. It takes more time to shop and prep, but bringing home made lunches/ snacks/ breakfasts to work and eating home prepared food in the evening is cheaper than cafe's, deli counters and takeaways. The only difference is you have to get your head around the more upfront cost rather than dribs and drabs through the day/ week. It takes planning and time rather than money.

My most expensive outlay is (most of the time totally unnecessary) fulfil and quest bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

As the post title says, I really want and need to loose a few stone for health reasons.

Only thing is I'm broke.
    Most gyms are direct debt or over my limit.

Plus the healthy eating food stuff can come to a pretty penny.

I guess the advise I am looking for. Is how to loose weight while on a budget.
    I am saving ATM to join a gym. Just need something in the mean time to keep me motivated.

I got a few tips here and there on healthy eating on a budget and stuff, but I'm a lurking to this part of boards and know. Well hope I can get some good advice 😊

Its an illusion that unhealthy people have that healthy food is more expensive, and its simply not true.

Why don't you post your average weekly diet along with how much you think you spend a week on food and we can point you towards a cheaper healthy replacement.

Myself and my wife eat pretty healthy and we spend about 65 maximum per week on food. Usually less. (Covers Breakfast & Dinner Monday - Friday and Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner at weekends)

Simple example to feed yourself for 1 week (Im purposly being boring but you can mix it up without changing the cost too much)

Below costs are from tesco.ie. You can find stuff cheaper by going to Aldi or Lidl or to fruit and veg shops.
    This will cookup 7 meals.

Breakfast
    1 x 1.5kg porridge €2.50 (expensive ones)
    7 x bananas €1.59
    7 x apples €1.40

Lunch
    Cook more dinner and pack it up for lunch (€1 per day = €7)

Dinner
    2 x Large Chickens €10
    1 x 4kg potatoes = €4
    2 x 1kg mixed vegetables = €2.50

So for a grand total of €30ish you can eat for a week. Add a bit more to mix in some steak or pork etc.
    I bet your spending a lot more than that

And to compare an easy day of unhealthy food

Breakfast : cerial + milk €0.50
    Lunch: chicken fillet roll €4
    Dinner: chicken kiev x 2 = €2.10
    Dinner: oven chips = €1

7.60 per day x 7 = £53.20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If you do a proper weekly shop in a supermarket you should be spending a lot less on food, not more. Eating healthy is super cheap. The hard part, which most people struggle with, is the planning and discipline.

- Only buy food in the supermarket (no takeaways, dinners out, subway sandwiches, etc).
    - Prepare everything you eat yourself. No ready-made meals, no processed food, no sugary junk. Eat breakfast at home or bring it to work; prepare lunch at home and bring it with you.
    - Stick to the basics: fresh (or frozen) fruit and veg, tinned beans, rice, pasta, potatoes, dairy, eggs; meat if that's your thing...don't spend a penny on anything that claims to boost your metabolism or immune system, be a 'superfood', or organic.

Organic is fine but it's not worth the price difference on a budget. You don't need to go to a fancy boutique food store, 100% of your healthy diet can be gotten in Lidl.

Exercise is free, too. You have the ground, there is a whole world of running, walking, core exercises, and body-weight exercises available to you thanks to nothing but God-given gravity. Exercise will help a little and will be good for overall health, but weight loss comes mostly from diet (as does weight gain: you eat too much, anything else is an excuse or a distraction).

Developing discipline, acknowledging the cause-and-effect of lifestyle and body (you will always have a body that reflects your lifestyle), and sticking to a plan is all you need. Money is not the problem; thinking you can throw money at the situation to fix it is many people's problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Even if you were to eat the same foods, but smaller portions, it has to cost less.
    Reduce eating out and put that towards buying proper food.

There's plenty of workouts that are free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Youtube bodycoach HIIT

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

You can eat very healthily for little money shopping in Aldi/ Lidl. Fruit and veg are cheap as (sweet potato) chips and so are things like Cottage Cheese etc.

Advertisement