Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 in 14 drivers in Ireland uninsured

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭TruthEnforcer

With everyone's chat and discussion about the causes and expectation given the increased Insurand Premiums .. people should look closer at the statement -

"The figures are calculated by comparing the number of registered vehicles to those which have insurance"

This actually means NOTHING ! its comparing Chalk and Cheese.

I have a registered vehicle and had to get repairs recently which meant my car was in the Garage for almost a month.. while so I borrowed my sisters car .. which was also registered and had tax.

Every car registered includes cars on Garage showrooms which I'm sure have increased in number in the last year !

Years ago you could buy a new car and register is a few weeks later .. now all New cars leaving the showroom have to be Registered ..

It amazed me when the figures were announced .. how could they know exactly how many drivers out there are 'uninsured' ?/

A correct statement would be to announce how many accidents of the last year included 'Uninsuraned Drivers' and how it compares to previous years !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The Muppet wrote: »
    That claim culture is in existence as it is and it needs to be address too.

IMO, the primary driver of the claim culture is the fact that insurers take the short and narrow view, which is to pay out a small* claim, rather than properly investigate it. They recover much of this from loading policies, so it's not a big deal for them. This makes it very easy for someone to claim a whiplash injury, be it real, or not. When the guts of 15k is the reward for a dubious soft tissue injury is granted on the basis of nothing more than a doctors note, the insurance company will pay out almost every time. This all adds up to a significant amount of paid claims. 10 of these averages 150k :eek: and they happen at >5kph tips.

Ironically, I say this as someone suffering with an ongoing whiplash injury.

*Anything under the 20k mark is what I consider to be a small claim that is not investigated. I reckon anything higher gets their attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

With everyone's chat and discussion about the causes and expectation given the increased Insurand Premiums .. people should look closer at the statement -

"The figures are calculated by comparing the number of registered vehicles to those which have insurance"

This actually means NOTHING ! its comparing Chalk and Cheese.

I have a registered vehicle and had to get repairs recently which meant my car was in the Garage for almost a month.. while so I borrowed my sisters car .. which was also registered and had tax.

Every car registered includes cars on Garage showrooms which I'm sure have increased in number in the last year !

Years ago you could buy a new car and register is a few weeks later .. now all New cars leaving the showroom have to be Registered ..

It amazed me when the figures were announced .. how could they know exactly how many drivers out there are 'uninsured' ?/

A correct statement would be to announce how many accidents of the last year included 'Uninsuraned Drivers' and how it compares to previous years !!!

Pretty much.
    In a year when main stream media scolds us all for pandering to "fake news" they continue to ignore real stories and instead feed us drivel that amounts to fake news.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement