Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Remote Desktop with VPN

Options
  • 19-12-2016 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭

Hi all, little techie question here.

I often access my home computer from work using Remote Desktop. I have configured my Router at home to forward RDP requests to my main home computer. So I merely RDP to my Public (static) WAN IP and I get to my computer.

All good.

However I want to use a VPN from that home computer. So after I RDP into that computer I connect to the VPN I want. But then the RDP closes down and I can not longer RDP to my home computer address or access it in any way.

The IP Address on the VPN is not static and is allocated each time I connect.

Any way to do these things together? To somehow Isolate the RDP connection from everything else related to the VPN, so that one does not affect the other.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The best solution is a VPN service with a per-application client. That way you can say Chrome: Use VPN, RDP: Do not use VPN.

The other way would be to add an overriding default route to the remote location you access from, but that only works if you're accessing it from a static IP/small block (say only from the office).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Check out split tunneling. Plenty of guides on the interwebs.

Advertisement