Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Issue

Options
  • 19-12-2016 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm just wondering is it possible to have information posted by other users on strava, deleted?

I'd like to be able to have whole routes deleted.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You can delete any activity or make it private.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

All you can do - if you were on a particular spin - is delete you own ride, or use the privacy function to 'hide' parts of it - as far as I know anyway. You can also change your name/details if you want to avoid a connection to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,520 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You can delete any activity or make it private.

These are routes and data created by other users. I'm not really a user of the site but these routes are starting to cause problems

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What kind of problems?

07Lapierre wrote:
    What kind of problems?

I don't really want to go into it on a public forum. Thanks

• Advertisement

Contact the person who posted the strava routes and ask them to delete them?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    All you can do - if you were on a particular spin - is delete you own ride, or use the privacy function to 'hide' parts of it - as far as I know anyway. You can also change your name/details if you want to avoid a connection to something.
    I think the privacy function only works at the start/ end of a spin (or run). When activities have gone past locations I have set for privacy, they show, even if the privacy zone is in place for the start/ end.

07Lapierre wrote:
    Contact the person who posted the strava routes and ask them to delete them?

Is there an actual way of doing that via strava?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Why should there be? It's not your info to delete - put yourself in the position of the poster of the ride and question how you would feel.

Sorry, but I dont think you can expect any success on this unless there is a hugely overriding legal or safety issue involved.

Welcome to the world of not-so-social media.......

Ah, so the person who posted to Strava is unknown to you? In that case, no.

• Advertisement

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Why should there be? It's not your info to delete - put yourself in the position of the poster of the ride and question how you would feel.

Sorry, but I dont think you can expect any success on this unless there is a hugely overriding legal or safety issue involved.

Welcome to the world of not-so-social media.......

sorry folks, im not willing to share the greater issues on a public forum but you might understand it more from my perspective if you had the full info. you d be surprised of the idiocy, ignorance and selfishness of some social media users. they eventually wreck everybody's fun. even though i understand why people are posting on strava my position above still stands. people were asked not to post online, but still do so. there are actually legal and safety issues at play here, but the law isnt on our side for this one. thanks for your help folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Seriously it's a line on a map, what's the issue?

Staplor wrote: »
    Seriously it's a line on a map, what's the issue?

i cant go into it, sorry, but i do suspect the users think in this simplistic way as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Is it a MTB or CX issue using routes that the club or person who set them up does not want made public?

Follow the rider who is posting the stuff up, find the ride you have an issue with and post up a comment on that route explaining the situation, or by asking them to contact you via FB, boards or some other route.

You could also just report the ride and have it pulled, but you will have to report every single one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

This kinda smells like trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

sorry folks, im not willing to share the greater issues on a public forum but you might understand it more from my perspective if you had the full info. you d be surprised of the idiocy, ignorance and selfishness of some social media users. they eventually wreck everybody's fun. even though i understand why people are posting on strava my position above still stands. people were asked not to post online, but still do so. there are actually legal and safety issues at play here, but the law isnt on our side for this one. thanks for your help folks

I know a fella whose house is adjacent to popular piece of Strava-art in the shape of a giant phallus. I can only imagine what that must do to the property prices along his road, So I can feel your pain Wanderer78.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Is this the stupidest thread of the year here to date? What an idiotic topic. You want help, but want to give no information? How can anybody advice you?

Sounds like your classic trail that's not a trail but people use it case.

Staplor wrote: »
    This kinda smells like trolling

:rolleyes:

strangely enough, some info posted on social media can cause negative effects to other people. people really need to use their brains before posting. this has the potential to wreck the hard work of others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Smells like MTB trails issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

:rolleyes:

strangely enough, some info posted on social media can cause negative effects to other people. people really need to use their brains before posting. this has the potential to wreck the hard work of others

Something, something, strava, something, issue, help me, don't ask questions.

Of course the other poster doesn't understand what you are talking about, you haven't told anybody what you are talking about.

Some person, not you, did a cycle and posted the route up on Strava. For some reason, you don't like the fact that a part of the world is now on Strava, although it was already on Googlemaps and others for years.

Or is it that on this route the other person took so many of you KOM's that its just easier to delete the whole route?

Or another, that the route is a loop around your house or a loop you want to keep secret?

Boards.ie, and in particular, IMO, the cycling forum is always here to help but you need to want help as well.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Something, something, strava, something, issue, help me, don't ask questions.

Of course the other poster doesn't understand what you are talking about, you haven't told anybody what you are talking about.

Some person, not you, did a cycle and posted the route up on Strava. For some reason, you don't like the fact that a part of the world is now on Strava, although it was already on Googlemaps and others for years.

Or is it that on this route the other person took so many of you KOM's that its just easier to delete the whole route?

Or another, that the route is a loop around your house or a loop you want to keep secret?

Boards.ie, and in particular, IMO, the cycling forum is always here to help but you need to want help as well.

yes, maybe social media is a really bad idea for humanity. chomsky's use of the term 'atomisation' truly is perfect. thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I know a fella whose house is adjacent to popular piece of Strava-art in the shape of a giant phallus. I can only imagine what that must do to the property prices along his road, So I can feel your pain Wanderer78.

I can only assume/hope you are joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

As you are unwilling/unable to give info to allow us to advise you, all that can be said is that if you feel you have a legitimate reason for its removal, make your case to Strava.

Otherwise, if it is a public route on public land or a public road, accept that these things can't be controlled, and get on with your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

yes, maybe social media is a really bad idea for humanity. chomsky's use of the term 'atomisation' truly is perfect. thanks for your help

It was Michel Houellebecq who popularized the concept of 'atomisation', really good book.

He might have been a bit more cheerful if rode his bike more, though ( and kept his rides private on Strava )

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    It was Michel Houlellebecq that popularized the concept of 'atomisation', really good book.

He might have been a bit more cheerful if rode his bike more, though ( and kept his rides private on Strava )

that looks like a fantastic read. thank you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

CramCycle wrote: »
    Is it a MTB or CX issue using routes that the club or person who set them up does not want made public?

Follow the rider who is posting the stuff up, find the ride you have an issue with and post up a comment on that route explaining the situation, or by asking them to contact you via FB, boards or some other route.

You could also just report the ride and have it pulled, but you will have to report every single one of them.

I'm guessing that the OP is referring to unauthorised MTB trails that are attracting attention because of their presence on Strava?

I'm sorry OP but I'm reminded of the legend of King Canute attempting to hold back the tide!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Right, so its social media you have a problem with, not Strava then?

Still didn't give any information though. If, as has been alluded to, they are illegal trails or the like, report the users to the council/garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

What part of the phallus is making the biggest impact on the property prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭Junior

What part of the phallus is making the biggest impact on the property prices?
    #

Stop being a ball bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Thats nuts

Advertisement