Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strava Issue

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Right, so its social media you have a problem with, not Strava then?

Still didn't give any information though. If, as has been alluded to, they are illegal trails or the like, report the users to the council/garda.

Presumably because either a) they are illegal and they don't want to highlight their use to others, therefore making the tolerance of them less likely as numbers increase or b) the club has set up sections, ramps and other obstacles at great time and expense and then you have others who contribute nothing spinning along and wrecking them without offering or attempting to help out with their maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I know a fella whose house is adjacent to popular piece of Strava-art in the shape of a giant phallus. I can only imagine what that must do to the property prices along his road, So I can feel your pain Wanderer78.

What a load of bollocks :D :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

CramCycle wrote: »
    Presumably because either a) they are illegal and they don't want to highlight their use to others, therefore making the tolerance of them less likely as numbers increase or b) the club has set up sections, ramps and other obstacles at great time and expense and then you have others who contribute nothing spinning along and wrecking them without offering or attempting to help out with their maintenance.

If this is the case the op could have explained without giving the location away. Although maybe someone digging through his previous posts may have been able to narrow it down.
    Still why even ask if you can't give enough info obtain useful advice?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Staplor wrote: »
    This kinda smells like trolling

If you have a problem with a post or poster report it and leave the modding to the mods

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I'm intrigued by what this issue could be. Do people actively seek out routes/segments on Strava before heading out for a spin? I normally do it the other way around. Head out, upload, then check the segments.

It would be one thing getting the offending segment deleted. It would be another stopping it from being re-added. Then there are plenty of people who don't really use Strava at all and just head to routes they know.

Good luck to the OP on this. I've no doubt their reasons are valid and genuine. Seems like a bit of a task getting it done though.

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by what this issue could be. Do people actively seek out routes/segments on Strava before heading out for a spin? I normally do it the other way around. Head out, upload, then check the segments.

On solo spins I will sometimes go routes that I've found have interesting segments. I will then push hard on the segments as a type of interval training, it just makes it a little bit more interesting. And of course if you can beat a friends time that's fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

1bryan wrote: »
    I'm intrigued by what this issue could be. Do people actively seek out routes/segments on Strava before heading out for a spin?...
    It may be an issue with routes and Strava segments being created on private property. People who previously may not have been aware of the existence of particular route may be more inclined to give it a go when they see a Strava segment.

(Someone has created about a dozen Strava segments through my employer's private property. Since the segments have appeared, there has been an increase cyclists around the place.)

It may be an issue with routes and Strava segments being created on private property. People who previously may not have been aware of the existence of particular route may be more inclined to give it a go when they see a Strava segment.

(Someone has created about a dozen Strava segments through my employer's private property. Since the segments have appeared, there has been an increase cyclists around the place.)

The big risk there being that while some people may not have noticed a few cyclists, or may simply not have cared about the odd few, a larger footfall may lead to increased annoyance due to increased land usage and land damage, even if minimal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

probably/possibly not the OP's issue, as it's possible to explain this scenario without giving away any details.

If the OP approached me about removing strava rides but took the attitude he has taken in this thread I'd be posting my strava in every possible location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

"Oh hi boss.... No, I'm still sick.... No, can barely walk....errr no, that's not my picture on your friends Strava.... Nope, definitely not me. I don't even know what an Alpe D'Huez is"

While we're on the subject, is it possible to remove the start time on a Strava activity? (I'm presuming the answer is no).

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

While we're on the subject, is it possible to remove the start time on a Strava activity? (I'm presuming the answer is no).

I looked into this before and for a simple thing seemed impossible for Strava to code.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

....is it possible to remove the start time on a Strava activity? (I'm presuming the answer is no).

I may be wrong but I would think that this is data that comes from the recording device, Garmin gps etc, so it is at that point that you need to modify the data before it ever gets near strava. Trying to edit the .fit file info from the garmin would be where I would start.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I would think that this is data that comes from the recording device, Garmin gps etc, so it is at that point that you need to modify the data before it ever gets near strava. Trying to edit the .fit file info from the garmin would be where I would start.......

And if you don't have a start time, how do you know how long it took to get to the second checkpoint, and therefore what speed you were going at? There are all sorts of problems with removing the start time from an activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭h_orse

Segments has stopped on my strava. I emailed strava and i got silly reply back. I mailed them again. I got a ticket to say action completed from strava. I still have no segments plus im a premium customer.

Any advice....?

I think the phrase is digital doping.

buffalo wrote: »
    And if you don't have a start time, how do you know how long it took to get to the second checkpoint, and therefore what speed you were going at? There are all sorts of problems with removing the start time from an activity.
    Should have clarified that I was referring to removal of the displayed start time which appears above the activity title.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭buffalo

Should have clarified that I was referring to removal of the displayed start time which appears above the activity title.

What's the use case? If someone wanted to hide what time they were cycling at, why on earth would they put it on Strava?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

From the obvious nervousness of the OP, I would guess that we're talking about a stalking issue here - and a Strava user making a route easily identifiable by giving it a name.

OP, I assume that you've blanked out an area 1km around your home in your Strava stats so it's not identifiable?

You can, of course, use Strava purely privately (as I do) so you can yourself keep track of your own cycles and see how you're doing in terms of pace and climbing and so on. This might take some of the fun out of it if you like cycling as a social or semi-social activity, but it's certainly what I'd do if worried about personal safety.

It is a bit nuts that you can't edit your times or remove them; if you're easily identifiable on a social media site and it's essentially waving to the burglars, stalkers and other unpleasanters and saying "Hi! I go out for my cycle and leave the place empty at 5pm every night!" - well, not a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

The start time only appears for your followers, people not following you only see the date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Crocked wrote: »
    The start time only appears for your followers, people not following you only see the date

But can you accept or reject followers, or can anyone follow you (if you don't have your Strava set to private)?

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

that was my suspicion too and, if it is the case, then it's a wider issue than just strava. I'd imagine it's similar to the story that pops up in the news every now and again about hill walkers plotting routes that pass through private property (and the grey area about liability should anything happen on that private property.

In which case, unless the property owner is completely indemnified, then I'd be 100% on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Chuchote wrote: »
    But can you accept or reject followers, or can anyone follow you (if you don't have your Strava set to private)?

You can block anyone from following you. Can also set it up so that people have to request to follow, so you have to approve them before they are a follower, rather than following you immediately after they click follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

You can’t remove the start time, but you can change it. If this is a new activity, save the ride as private, if it’s already there, mark it private so nobody can see what it is you are trying to hide wink.png

• In the Strava screen for this particular activity, click on the spanner icon and then select export GPX
    • Open resulting file – called NAME_OF_STRAVA_ACTIVITY.gpx
    • GPX files are text files and can be edited. Use a decent editor to do this – on a PC, I’d recommend notepad++
    • You’re looking for lines that contain something that looks like <time>2016-12-04T11:02:29Z</time>
    • If your ride was over several hours, then each hour period will need to be edited separately:
    • Change every occurrence of “T11:” to, say, “T18:” (changing 1st hour from 11am to 6pm)
    • Then change every occurrence of “T12:” to “T19:
    • Every occurrence of “T13:” to “T20:
    • Etc

The date (YYYY-MM-DD) can also be changed if required:
    • Change every occurrence of “<time>2016-12-04T” to “<time>2016-12-05T
    Then:
    • Save the file using a different name – ie. From “Work Dodging morning spin.gpx” to “Productive day after work spin.gpx
    • In the Strava home screen, click the red “+” on the top RHS of the screen and select “Upload Activity
    • Click the Browse button and go to the place where you saved the new GPX file – on a pc, it might be “C:\Users\YOURNAME\Downloads
    • Strava will then upload the new activity. If all is well, delete the original – private – activity.
    And remember, if it's on Strava, it may not have ever happened wink.png

I presume you could write a nice tidy macro through excel to do all that for you. Might have to save it as a .txt file first and then resave it as a .gpx afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

An article published by Strava on how to get more likes :

http://blog.strava.com/how-to-get-more-kudos-12482/

And a not unrelated article this morning in the Guardian on celebrity culture:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/20/celebrity-corporate-machine-fame-big-business-donald-trump-kim-kardashian

buffalo wrote: »
    What's the use case? If someone wanted to hide what time they were cycling at, why on earth would they put it on Strava?
    It's awkward when one's boss has just joined Strava and can see what time one leaves work at! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or when you nip out for a crafy 35km at lunchtime...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

It's awkward when one's boss has just joined Strava and can see what time one leaves work at! :D

So who is the Queen reporting to these days?

Advertisement