Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Work hard and you will get on"....or so I thought..

Options
  • 19-12-2016 10:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I cant find the Work Problems thread!
    So a work colleague of mine who has been in the workplace 2 months longer than me is always getting more hours than me. We are on the same part time contract. She is painfully lazy and will do the bare minimum required to not be called out by management. I find I am always on the move doing something, keeping busy even when it is quiet. She gets away with not doing her jobs and always gets others to do them for her. So the other day I just had enough of it. I went and spoke to my boss.
    I said to my boss how it wasnt fair that Im older than this girl, I have a college degree in Business whereas this girl has no Junior Cert. And I work a lot harder. Damn harder. And no matter what, this girl will always get more hours. She takes a load of smoking breaks as well as her 30 mins lunchtime, yet is constantly bitching when anyone else who isnt a smoker takes an extra 2 minutes to come back from their lunch.
    My bosses reply to all of this when I said "this isnt fair"? Yeah well thats how this business works.

I couldnt believe what I was hearing and Ive been looking for work elsewhere since. Growing up we were always told at school and at home that if you work hard you will get on and progress. Not in this job though. Ive now accepted that this is a dead end job and in 10 years time I will still be lower than a dogs b*****s in the eyes of this company. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Not being funny but maybe she does a better job and doesnt bitch to managment about co-workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Did you stomp your feet when you said "this isn't fair"?

It sounds like you approached it in a fairly childish manner. It wasn't constructive and all you did was to compare to one other employee.

If you want more hours discuss with your boss why you want them and why you deserve them. It looks extremely petty to do this by putting someone else down to try take their hours no matter how good/bad that person is.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Respect and responsibility need to be earned. Your post comes across as if you have a sense of entitlement.

Instead of demeaning your colleague and comparing yourself to her it might be a good idea to do your work efficiently and, when you want more hours, approach your boss with evidence of your work done to a good standard so you are seen as deserving of the extra work.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Mod Note
    Moved from PI.
    Please read the local charter before posting. Already a number of off topic and juvenile posts have been removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Astral92

Not being funny but maybe she does a better job and doesnt bitch to managment about co-workers.

If by better job, you mean does she do her share? No. Does she also "bitch" to management about co works. Oh god yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Astral92 wrote: »
    If by better job, you mean does she do her share? No. Does she also "bitch" to management about co works. Oh god yes.

It goes on everywhere trust me. Ireland is just awash with cronism snd nepotism I see it where I work it's not what you know it's who you know. I'd start looking for a new job. That or let it over your head it will drive you nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Look, I know how infuriating it is to work harder than a colleague and then have to stand by as they get the better shifts/perks/tasks and you get overlooked. It happens, unfortunately. Sometimes it's incredibly unfair.

But - she's been there longer than you, which counts as seniority in some workplaces. If she always did those hours and you were hired to replace someone else who left, the boss mightn't see any reason to change it. And her being younger than you has nothing to do with anything - in the workplace, age is completely irrelevant (except where someone's under 18 and can't legally work lates etc). Similarly, unless your job requires a degree in that area, your and her qualifications have no bearing on the job.

It's a hard lesson, but next time, just tell your boss you would really like more hours or that you'd be happy to cover if extra hours come up. Going in and saying you deserve more hours than your colleague (no matter how true, if she's as lazy as that) just comes across as hostile, entitled and petty. Speaking from my own experience, it's always best to leave other people out of it and focus on your own job/showing the boss why you're the better employee. But keep looking for other jobs too: it can be soul-destroying working somewhere you don't feel valued!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Op why not take a leaf out of her book and do exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

OP you have a business degree working in a job that can be done by someone without junior cert. (And I don't mean that in disrespectful way). You should aim a bit higher and start looking for a job more suited to your skills. She could have some skills that you don't, maybe she is better with customers (if it customer orientated job) or maybe they like her more or like working with her more or possibly she is on a lower wage. Whatever it is, it will be hard to get any type of information with approach you took.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

You sound fierce petty and act like you have a sense of entitlement.

Just because you have a degree doesn't mean you deserve more hours than her. You've no right to look down on her because she has less education than you. That's a shocking attitude to have, and if you bring that sort of carry on to your next job you'll end up in the same situation. Stop being a childish brat and worry about your own work and not anybody else's. Plus, no one likes a snitch, running to management bitching about your co workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

She sounds like a bit of a kiss ass, you get them everywhere, they get by with doing nothing because they suck up to the bosses.

It's frustrating and annoying, but you can do nothing about her, you need to concentrate on your own job, as others have said comparing you and her isn't going to work. Approaching the boss rationally and asking for more hours, or what you can do to improve your work, may see more benefits.

If you think a job somewhere else won't have this issue, you are mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

This is most bosses primary goal and aspiration.

If they perceive a person as being a cause of conflict, discontentment etc they will get rid of that person no matter how good they work, or think they work.

Its all about optics, you have come across as a trouble maker and the boss obviously values the other persons work and contribution to the company higher than yours.

You are doing the right thing by looking for another job but keep your reasons for leaving to yourself. A future boss will not want to hear examples of disharmony or jealousy as the reason for leaving your present employment and will not hire you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

My comment was deleted, but I think the "Is she hot?" question could be relevant, depending on the gender of the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Astral92 wrote: »

tbh I wouldn't be expecting much sympathy from boards.ie

I posted here a couple of years back about employer bringing in friends with no qualifications, putting them over and on better pay than people who had been there years. I was promptly told by people here to stop being petty, mind my own business and clear off out of the company as life wasn't fair and I had no right to question the director/management decisions, even in the privacy of my own mind.

I took their advice. The place went bust recently, not surprised at the poor management style. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Most things have been covered, however to point out being older than her is 100% irrelevant, and weakens your argument to have mentioned it.

There are a few perceptions going on here. Your perception of your work, your perception of your colleagues work and the perception of management of each of your work. Perceptions and reality may differ.

Your colleague is getting more hours than you - and this may simply be down to seniority as she's there longer than you and can be defended from a HR position.

eeguy wrote: »
    My comment was deleted, but I think the "Is she hot?" question could be relevant, depending on the gender of the manager.

I think the OP said she didn't even have a junior cert.
    That's hard to believe in this day and age. They're basically saying this girl doesn't even have secondary education? :confused:

This could possibly be a windup.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    tbh I wouldn't be expecting much sympathy from boards.ie

Would actual relevant advice be too much to ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Is it possible that management see this other employee as someone who will stay with the company long-term, and you with your degree as someone who will be around till something better shows up?

Would actual relevant advice be too much to ask for?

As I said above, I suspect this is entirely fabricated. How the hell can an adult find any employment in this day & age without even a JC?

As I said above, I suspect this is entirely fabricated.

So, no sympathy for them so :pac::P

How the hell can an adult find any employment in this day & age without even a JC?

Someone could have left school early and got menial enough jobs and gained employment in relatively low level jobs based on past work experience. This job doesn't sound like you'd need a Harvard degree in to secure.

I'd question how the OP knows of her lack of education, but some people have no filter, and possibly okay with letting people know. She may even be proud of the fact to now be working in the same area as a degree educated colleague. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As I said above, I suspect this is entirely fabricated. How the hell can an adult find any employment in this day & age without even a JC?

The OP has no way of knowing what quals her colleague really has.

Re the comment about the younger woman possibly being hotter depending on the gender of the boss: i agree that its totally relevant, but think it depends on the gender and preferences of the customers too. The OP might be surprised about who makes more sales.

The OP has no way of knowing what quals her colleague really has.

Re the comment about the younger woman possibly being hotter depending on the gender of the boss: i agree that its totally relevant, but think it depends on the gender and preferences of the customers too. The OP might be surprised about who makes more sales.

Not just in sales, I hear that the big 4 only employ very attractive people for their graduate positions. That's 3rd had information though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

It's a hard lesson, but next time, just tell your boss you would really like more hours or that you'd be happy to cover if extra hours come up. Going in and saying you deserve more hours than your colleague (no matter how true, if she's as lazy as that) just comes across as hostile, entitled and petty. Speaking from my own experience, it's always best to leave other people out of it and focus on your own job/showing the boss why you're the better employee. But keep looking for other jobs too: it can be soul-destroying working somewhere you don't feel valued!

+1 to this. Never bring into conversation mentions of other colleagues, whether it's to do with targets, salaries or anything else. Focus on yourself and whatever it is you are asking for.

(I think the op has closed their account now?)

Not just in sales, I hear that the big 4 only employ very attractive people for their graduate positions. That's 3rd had information though.

Not strictly true, but PWC did get caught with their "hottest employees" list a few years back.

eeguy wrote: »
    Not strictly true, but PWC did get caught with their "hottest employees" list a few years back.

Not sure if strictly true, but I've never had a visit from a PWC auditor that was below an 8. :pac:

Not sure if strictly true, but I've never had a visit from a PWC auditor that was below an 8. :pac:

Well that's one way to get business!

Wish I could say the same about the auditors from the small practice that visit our business. :D

I guess the Big 4 put a lot of the mingers in tax instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Thank you! Sure I was only gorgeous back in the day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Workplace lesson #1 just let your work and its quality speak for itself. You literally have NO control over anything else- your co workers, their output, your boss, the attitude your boss has over other people etc etc.
    All you can do is show up every day, do your work and respect your boss. If this doesn't work then you have to find another job. Tough but true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

To be honest, there's a whole bunch of us out here that could tell you that "work hard and you will get on" means nothing.....since 2009/2010 anyway.Life's not fair OP, you look out for you and keep your mouth firmly shut about anyone else, in the workplace anyway. It's how it goes.

Advertisement