Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Work hard and you will get on"....or so I thought..

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Registered only a few days ago and already a string of stories of injustices that have happened to them recently over a number of help/legal forums.

OP is a clear purveyor of fiction, nothing to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

All you can do is show up every day, do your work and respect your boss. If this doesn't work then you have to find another job. Tough but true.

Yeah...

Okay, I can guarantee you the most successful people in business were a tad more proactive than that.

This might be true if you're a blue collar worker with no ambition or if the company is at high risk of going under. otherwise, it's not great advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Yeah...

Okay, I can guarantee you the most successful people in business were a tad more proactive than that.

This might be true if you're a blue collar worker with no ambition or if the company is at high risk of going under. otherwise, it's not great advice.

Wow, how very snobby of you. First of all, I'm not blue collar (that's a dreadfully insulting phrase by the way, does it matter how you make your living be it manual labour or in the office? Office politics are the same everywhere).

Whats wrong exactly with having low ambition and wanting to enjoy your time OUTSIDE of work? you say that as if its a bad thing. I personally don't want to work 14 hours a day to climb some stupid ladder only to hit 50 and realize ive wasted so many years chasing some mythical work dream. I do my work, do it well then come home again. I certainly don't miss out on the finer things in life either. I work to live not live to work.

Wow, how very snobby of you. First of all, I'm not blue collar (that's a dreadfully insulting phrase by the way, does it matter how you make your living be it manual labour or in the office? Office politics are the same everywhere).

Whats wrong exactly with having low ambition and wanting to enjoy your time OUTSIDE of work? you say that as if its a bad thing. I personally don't want to work 14 hours a day to climb some stupid ladder only to hit 50 and realize ive wasted so many years chasing some mythical work dream. I do my work, do it well then come home again. I certainly don't miss out on the finer things in life either. I work to live not live to work.

There's enough straw men here to keep a multitude Wizard of Oz productions on the go. But to keep you happy...

'I'm melting, I'm melting!'

There's enough straw men here to keep a multitude Wizard of Oz productions on the go. But to keep you happy...

'I'm melting, I'm melting!'

Im not impressed by your oh so cool intellect and alleged wit. If you aren't capable of a robust counter argument to my points then you clearly have nothing interesting to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

This thread really needs to be allowed to die quietly & in a corner..

Im not impressed by your oh so cool intellect and alleged wit. If you aren't capable of a robust counter argument to my points then you clearly have nothing interesting to say.

I'm tempted just to see what diagonal you'd take, but nah, can't be bothered.

I'm tempted just to see what diagonal you'd take, but nah, can't be bothered.

Ok then enjoy your long working hours your ascent up the corporate ladder and all the stresses and strains that come with it. Ill be sipping wine at home at a reasonable hour.

Ill be sipping wine at home at a reasonable hour.

For some people for that to be their desire it would be hell. Each to there own, just don't assume that's everyone's ideal.

For some people for that to be their desire it would be hell. Each to there own, just don't assume that's everyone's ideal.

Likewise dont assume everyone wants to play the company game, climb the ladder and work 20 hours a day in an attempt to out do those around them. Nobody ever regretted not working long hours on their deathbed.

• Advertisement

Likewise dont assume everyone wants to play the company game, climb the ladder and work 20 hours a day in an attempt to out do those around them.

I didn't:rolleyes: I wasn't the one making the all knowing sweeping statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Ok then enjoy your long working hours your ascent up the corporate ladder and all the stresses and strains that come with it. Ill be sipping wine at home at a reasonable hour.

And don't assume that just because someone is home at a reasonable hour sipping wine that they haven't put in a really hard days work and been climbing the career ladder but doing it the smart way.

I was once told that you should only bring your colleagues into discussions with your manager if there is a fraud, bullying or theft issue that you have witnessed. Everything else should be about yourself and never at the expense of someone else.

I don't put in crazy hours at all & leave work pretty much on time every single day and I've managed to get to a very good position. I manage my time effectively and don't need to do crazy hours. I prove myself in the hours they pay me for and enjoy my time outside work as that is equally important.

OP stop letting what your colleague does or doesn't do affect you so much. You can't control it. You're not management and if you're on the same level as them, your degree or anything else doesn't really matter as in management's eyes, you're the same. If it is really getting you that much, then maybe look for a role somewhere else as it sounds like you don't like the people you work with or for.

I didn't:rolleyes: I wasn't the one making the all knowing sweeping statement.

You have replied 4 times now despite yourself and you still haven't come up with any form of interesting argument which counters my opinions on why the OP should not worry about their colleagues.

I don't put in crazy hours at all & leave work pretty much on time every single day and I've managed to get to a very good position. I manage my time effectively and don't need to do crazy hours. I prove myself in the hours they pay me for and enjoy my time outside work as that is equally important.

Well done you.

Well done you.

Seriously? That's all. Did you ignore everything else I wrote. I wasn't writing that to get some pat on the back but to make a point.

Honestly OP considering the attitude you've shown to some people here, I could maybe understand why you're not getting the extra hours if that's how you act towards people.

If you're that annoyed about your prospects in your job and feel you're not getting the hours etc, your best bet is to look for another job. And keep your head down and just get on with your current one until you can move.

Honestly OP considering the attitude you've shown to some people here, I could maybe understand why you're not getting the extra hours if that's how you act towards people.

If you're that annoyed about your prospects in your job and feel you're not getting the hours etc, your best bet is to look for another job. And keep your head down and just get on with your current one until you can move.

Sigh. Do you think I'm the OP?

Sigh. Do you think I'm the OP?

Apologies that is my mistake as I was typing a response quickly and didn't double check.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

any form of interesting argument which counters my opinions on why the OP should not worry about their colleagues.

It's either bad for the OPs career or it's making them incredibly unlucky this week.

Yesterday, 09:52
    Astral92 wrote: »
    I cant find the Work Problems thread!
    So a work colleague of mine who has been in the workplace 2 months longer than me is always getting more hours than me. We are on the same part time contract. She is painfully lazy and will do the bare minimum required to not be called out by management. I find I am always on the move doing something, keeping busy even when it is quiet. She gets away with not doing her jobs and always gets others to do them for her. So the other day I just had enough of it. I went and spoke to my boss.

<SNIP>

What are your thoughts?

16-12-2016, 22:49
    I got a phonecall from HR today and got a telling off for enquiring about a product gone out of stock.
    I work for a well known hot beverage selling company and they got this product in for Christmas time.
    <SNIP>

16-12-2016, 20:29
    A few days ago I approached my manager about my assistant manager being a victim of bullying

<SNIP>

I went and reported it via email to HR. Today at work I received a scathing phone call from them and told me it wasnt my place to get involved

<SNIP>

What are your thoughts on this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Graham wrote: »
    It's either bad for the OPs career or it's making them incredibly unlucky this week.

Yesterday, 09:52

16-12-2016, 22:49

16-12-2016, 20:29

More snips above than a vasectomy clinic....

OP doesn't seem to be responding but maybe the other worker asked for more hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Bellaboring

Staplor wrote: »
    She sounds like a bit of a kiss ass, you get them everywhere, they get by with doing nothing because they suck up to the bosses.

It's frustrating and annoying, but you can do nothing about her, you need to concentrate on your own job, as others have said comparing you and her isn't going to work. Approaching the boss rationally and asking for more hours, or what you can do to improve your work, may see more benefits.

If you think a job somewhere else won't have this issue, you are mistaken.

Is she a flirt with bosses by any chance?!

Advertisement