Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton vs Liverpool, 8pm, Sky Sports 1

• 19-12-2016 11:39am
    Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

The so called 'Mersey Monday' has arrived. Both teams got very positive results last time around so will have tails up, but Everton haven't won in the last 12 derbies so will really want to prove a point, and also to put a dent in Liverpool's chances of catching Chelsea.

If Liverpool play well in this game I'm pretty confident of a win, but if Everton can have a similar level of blood and thunder as against Arsenal then they can disrupt Liverpool's fluid attacking play. There are enough examples out there to show that it can be done, but it is up to Klopp and his team to show that they can resist when teams do that, and retain control of the game.

This could be anything from 2-0 to 2-5 really I think. My prediction is 1-2, but not with any overwhelming confidence. I think both teams will score anyhow as neither will set up to be too defensive and neither have been particularly good at defending overall. This probably means a dour 0-0 but I reckon there are goals in it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Mersey Monday, god help us all.

• OwaynOTT wrote: »

I thought Red Monday was bad
    Can't think of the other cringe-tastic one from Sky, driving me mad. Kudos to somebody who remembers

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I can't see this being as dour as 'Red Monday' anyhow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

3-2 Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Can't think of the other cringe-tastic one from Sky, driving me mad. Kudos to somebody who remembers

Maybe Grand Slam Sunday when the Top 4 are playing each other?
    Judgement Day for title deciders (usually in February).
    Survival Sunday for relegation battles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

After a sensationalist build up by Sky Sports, a dull 0-0 or 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

OwaynOTT wrote: »

I think Mersey Monday is a bit harmless myself. It is Monday and it is on Merseyside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think Mersey Monday is a bit harmless myself. It is Monday and it is on Merseyside.

I once had a dodgy curry on a Friday night and spent the entirety of the next day in the bathroom. Doesn't mean I called it Scutter Saturday though.

Although that incident does come to mind when I hear "Mersey Monday".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I really wish Everton werent unbeaten at home.... makes this a lot less clear cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Vicxas wrote: »
    I really wish Everton werent unbeaten at home.... makes this a lot less clear cut.

If its any consolation, I think we lose tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Head-to-head
    • This will be the 227th Merseyside derby in all competitions - and 195th in the league. Liverpool lead by 74 league wins to Everton's 57, with 63 draws
    • Liverpool are unbeaten in 11 league meetings with Everton (W4, D7)
    • The Toffees's 2-0 home victory in October 2010 is their only win in the past 19 attempts (D9, L9)
    • However, the past four matches between these sides at Goodison Park have all ended in draws
    • This fixture has seen more red cards than any other in the history of the PL - 21

Everton

• Everton's win over Arsenal on Tuesday was their first in six matches (D2, L3) and just their second in 11 league games (D4, L5)
    • However, they are unbeaten in 11 league matches at Goodison Park (W6, D5), with their last defeat coming on 19 March against Arsenal
    • The Toffees have recovered 11 points from losing positions in the Premier League this season, more than any other club prior to the latest round of matches
    • Ronald Koeman's side have scored a goal in the final five minutes in four of their past five Premier League matches - three of these have changed the outcome of the match

Liverpool
    • Liverpool have only lost one of their previous 14 league matches (W9, D4)
    • They have kept three clean sheets in their past five league games, after managing just one in their first 11 matches of the season
    • The Reds have scored 40 league goals so far this season, their best return after 16 games in a top-flight campaign since 1978-79 [also 40]. They won the title that season
    • Adam Lallana has been involved in 12 Premier League goals this season, more than any other English player [six goals, six assists].

SAM's verdict

• Most probable score: 1-1
    • Probability of draw: 25%
    • Probability of home win: 34%
    • Probability of away win: 41%

SAM (Sports Analytics Machine) is a super-computer created by @ProfIanMcHale at the University of Salford that is used to predict the outcome of football matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

M!Ck^ wrote: »

I think the one you're thinking of was REUNITED when Man Utd played Arsenal. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

If Everton show up for a battle similar to the 2nd half last Tuesday night, Everton will win.

The worry is that Everton haven't got a good recent record of stringing 2 good halves together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Liverpool have such a good record in the derby over the past decade you almost feel Everton a due a win. However Liverpool are a better side although an evening kick off means Goodison will be hopping tonight with the home fans screaming for handballs, free-kicks and penalties from the outset. Can see yet another obligatory Merseyside derby red card for someone.

• I think the one you're thinking of was REUNITED when Man Utd played Arsenal. :o

Cheers, that's the one. Awful from Sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

I'm waiting for Tyne-Wear Tuesday when Newcastle get promoted

Virtanen wrote: »

Won't be much good next season when Sunderland are in the championship. :)

Tyne-Tees Tuesday is the one to watch next year.

martyos121 wrote: »
    I once had a dodgy curry on a Friday night and spent the entirety of the next day in the bathroom. Doesn't mean I called it Scutter Saturday though.

Although that incident does come to mind when I hear "Mersey Monday".

Well If you wanted to entice millions of people to watch it, I think it would quiet a brilliant name.

Well If you wanted to entice millions of people to watch it, I think it would quiet a brilliant name.

I'll invest in a webcam then. Some weirdos will pay to see anything I guess. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

original.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Campbell Jeffers Anfield derby is still my favourite derby memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Sheffield Wednesday Wednesday
    Triffic Thurso v Thurston Thursday
    Fab Fridaythorpe v Friday Bridge Friday
    Super Sunbury v Sunderland Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Can't see anything other than a handy enough Liverpool win. While everton played well last week after they went behind, their real level is how they had played for the first 20 minutes. They're useless and Liverpool would need to really underperform to balls up taking 3 points here.

Jayop wrote: »
    Can't see anything other than a handy enough Liverpool win. While everton played well last week after they went behind, their real level is how they had played for the first 20 minutes. They're useless and Liverpool would need to really underperform to balls up taking 3 points here.

Never underestimate us. We can balls up any game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well Liverpool haven't been great either since Coutinho got injured, Boro was better but they were terrible.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Never underestimate us. We can balls up any game.

Here's hoping!! :)

Unbeaten at home all season though. That cannot be underestimated.

Unbeaten at home all season though. That cannot be underestimated.

spurs draw
    Yeovil (win in league cup)
    Stoke win
    Boro win
    Norwich (lost in league cup)
    Palace draw
    WestHam win
    Swansea draw
    United draw
    Arsenal win

In the league
    4 wins
    4 draws

Really the only impressive result in there is the win against Arsenal. The draw against United they played absolute garbage and we make a meal of putting them away and rightly got punished. The wins at home have been against crap sides really.

In all honesty Liverpool should be beating these with ease and if it was any other side but your derby neighbours you'd be just as confident.

• Advertisement

spurs draw
    Yeovil (win in league cup)
    Stoke win
    Boro win
    Norwich (lost in league cup)
    Palace draw
    WestHam win
    Swansea draw
    United draw
    Arsenal win

In the league
    4 wins
    4 draws

Really the only impressive result in there is the win against Arsenal. The draw against United they played absolute garbage and we make a meal of putting them away and rightly got punished. The wins at home have been against crap sides really.

In all honesty Liverpool should be beating these with ease and if it was any other side but your derby neighbours you'd be just as confident.

Fair points. Drawing with spurs was a decent result as well though. They were always in the game against utd despite not playing. It's a night game they will be up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

6th best home record vs 4th best away record.

Expecting Liverpool to hit Everton early and take the points and the game. 3-1 Pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

4 - 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Much stronger bench for us than the last few games, could prove the difference.

1 in 19 for Everton. Is that right. That's fair pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

1 in 19 for Everton. Is that right. That's fair pathetic.

Hodgson was only there for 1.....We played well according to Roy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ERG89 wrote: »
    Hodgson was only there for 1.....We played well according to Roy

Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Derby record is awful.

Would take a point.

4 points from Arsenal/Pool at home will suffice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Anyone who doesn't know these are turning us over at Goodison is in for a shock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

And if you know your history...

1-0 to Everton

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

3-2, 2-3, 3-3, 3-4 take your pick

sabat wrote: »
    3-2, 2-3, 3-3, 3-4 take your pick

1-3

2 early Liverpool goals, Everton get one back before the hour then you wrap it up in the 84th minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Either side could win this, or it could be a draw

Leave the bold predictions to Toby. And Michael Owen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

3-3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

As long as we take care of their FBs it's a win by two for me. 2-4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Nobody has beaten Everton at Goodison in the PL sibce March. Hoping that continues tonight!

Everton 2-1 Liverpool

Come on you Blues!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

You forgot match abandoned if Everton get 5 red cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

This is all about the battle between Lukaku and Lovren and Klavan, aerial challenges need to be won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

3-3

Concur.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement