Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending tencancy - Advice needed

Options
  • 19-12-2016 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hello Folks,

I've been renting the same place for two years now and the contract has expired. I have now found a new place and need to give the landlord 56 days notice but of course I dont want to pay for rent if I wont be living in there.

What options do I have so I don't loose the deposit?
    Can I assign the letting to someone else?

Thanks,
    Nicolas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

nikouy wrote: »
    Hello Folks,

I've been renting the same place for two years now and the contract has expired. I have now found a new place and need to give the landlord 56 days notice but of course I dont want to pay for rent if I wont be living in there.

What options do I have so I don't loose the deposit?
    Can I assign the letting to someone else?

Thanks,
    Nicolas

Your only option is to strike a deal with the landlord for the amount of rent due. But this as nothing to do with the deposit. You cannot just not pay the rent for two months and assume that the deposit covers this.

1. Either he finds a new tenant and agrees to only charge you rent for the period of time until the new tenant moves in.

2. He agrees to let you find a new tenant and he and agrees to only charge you rent for the period of time until the new tenant moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Giving them the full notice and making sure the place is clean and undamaged when you give it back is the only sure way of not losing a deposit.

Give them notice as soon as possible, they'll appreciate you doing this now more than at the end of the tenancy. When do you plan on moving to the new place? Is there a particular reason you're leaving? Is it a tenancy or a licencee situation? Can you find someone to move in right away that the landlord would be happy with?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I'd speak to your landlord. If it was me I'd let you off straight away so I can get a new tenant in asap at a higher rate before the new legislation locks him into a lower market rate.
    In fact I'd ring him now and suggest it to him. Sell him the positives of you wanting out now and not the negative of you wanting to leave Christmas week

Parchment wrote: »
    We don't want to tell him about the house in case it falls through but its a double edged sword as we may have to pay rent for the time we wont even be in the apartment. I hope he will allow us to leave sooner to save money.
    I would let him know about the situation and that you expect to give notice soon, without actually giving notice. He'll appreciate the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

TheChizler wrote: »
    I would let him know about the situation and that you expect to give notice soon, without actually giving notice. He'll appreciate the heads up.

My other half and I debated this - but I don't know why really but we decided against it. I guess just in case he got any ideas about trying to move us out or anything like that - its a great location at a great price and I suppose in the current climate we don't want to jeopardise it in anyway.

• Advertisement

Parchment wrote: »
    My other half and I debated this - but I don't know why really but we decided against it. I guess just in case he got any ideas about trying to move us out or anything like that - its a great location at a great price and I suppose in the current climate we don't want to jeopardise it in anyway.
    Unless you're there between 0 months and 6 months, or 4 years and 4 years and 6 months you're safe. If you've been good tenants if you try to work with him he'll most likely work with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

You don't have to give notice on the expiry of the lease, only if you remain on after the lease ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

nikouy wrote: »
    I have now found a new place and need to give the landlord 56 days notice but of course I dont want to pay for rent if I wont be living in there.
    How many properties are for rent nearby you, and how much of a demand is there in your area? If there's a high demand, your landlord may get someone in straight away.

Advertisement