Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annual leave

• 19-12-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Down throughout the years people used to go on holidays from work and people would say "so and so is on holidays" or "gone to Ballybunion for the week".

Then at some point they got very corporate, posh and precise and the term "annual leave" started to creep in. I am sure the Yanks have advanced onto saying "Happy annual leave" instead of saying "Happy holidays" and it's only a matter of time before that becomes the standard greeting over here as well.

When did this nonsense start? I don't think I've heard "annual leave" being used before the 2010s and if you were caught saying it in the 80's or 90's you'd probably get a bating. Can anyone shed a bit of light on the history of this term?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Still better than any Irish person saying 'vacation'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I blame globalisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Political correctness gone mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Kichote wrote: »
    Can anyone shed a bit of light on the history of this term?

I believe it came to be used to describe leave which is taken annually,to distinguish it from leaves taken anally, after Susie from HR had an unfortunate mishap with a cabbage.:eek:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

If you have annual leave on your OOO message it means to bother someone else.
    If you don't state it, you'll get loadsa mails about the bothersome topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Down throughout the years people used to go on holidays from work and people would say "so and so is on holidays" or "gone to Ballybunion for the week".

Then at some point they got very corporate, posh and precise and the term "annual leave" started to creep in. I am sure the Yanks have advanced onto saying "Happy annual leave" instead of saying "Happy holidays" and it's only a matter of time before that becomes the standard greeting over here as well.

When did this nonsense start? I don't think I've heard "annual leave" being used before the 2010s and if you were caught saying it in the 80's or 90's you'd probably get a bating. Can anyone shed a bit of light on the history of this term?

Does it matter?

I prefer the secrecy of "annual leave" rather than someone finding out my only shame of going to Ballybunion for a week every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I work in a US company and speak to yanks every day and I have never once heard anyone say "Happy Annual Leave" and I don't know who anyone would see it as an advancement on "Happy Holidays".

"Happy Holidays" is a catch all for those celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah or whatever. I don't see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

I hear people say they're 'on leave', not so much 'annual leave'. Also some people don't want to divulge why they're taking 'leave' from work so it's a general term really, covers everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

Does it matter?

I prefer the secrecy of "annual leave" rather than someone finding out my only shame of going to Ballybunion for a week every year.

I would say I'm going to Ballybunion but really I'd be on some bigshot's yacht snorting coke off a hooker's arse. I'd rather have them think I'm in Ballybunion lest they get the idea they're paying me too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

We used the term at work certainly in the mid 70s , if not earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Im 16 years in my job and have always used it haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Annual leave in my place means the 2 weeks you have to take off in one calendar year.
    Everything else is just "time off" or "holidays".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Ya global workforces. Some team member from the other side of the planet doesn't want to know that you're calling down to aunty Anne's for tea on your week off.

And its the simple right to privacy. Why should I have everyone know where I'm going on holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Where I come from you get a day or two 'aff' and you're damn glad to get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

me_irl wrote: »
    I blame globalisation.

Personally I blame the cyclists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Been in my job 14 years and its always been called annual leave. Don't work for an American company either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Annual leave sounds like something for people with very little leave entitlement, so small that you can really only take it in one go. So it probably originates in the US where 2 weeks annual leave is quite common.

Doubt too many employers on this side of the world would be happy to see employees take all their leave in one go and be out of the office for 6-8 weeks at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

In my experience you take holidays from building site or retail work, while leave is taken from office jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

It's a catch all term for when someone is not in the office.

It has the added bonus of people not knowing if you were actually on holidays or if there was some emergency that prevents you from being in work.

I hear people say they're 'on leave', not so much 'annual leave'. Also some people don't want to divulge why they're taking 'leave' from work so it's a general term really, covers everything.

When someone just says 'leave' I automatically assume something has gone badly wrong in their life, as in someone close to them is dead or dieing or their house got flooded and they need to sort out these problems before they can come back into work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It might be ok if you're in an office with 3 people and you know exactly what holiday plans everyone has. But if you're in an office with 100 people you can't be expected to give everyone who rings you detailed descriptions of everyones holiday plans. Or if they take time off and it's not for a holiday.
    Annual leave is easier. Same way if someone is sick you don't need to fill everyone in on the details. "Oh, you're looking for Séan? He has the scuts, should be back tomorrow".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

When someone just says 'leave' I automatically assume something has gone badly wrong in their life, as in someone close to them is dead or dieing or their house got flooded and they need to sort out these problems before they can come back into work

Or they could be taking leave to do a bitta sneaky election/referendum work at the polls. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

sjb25 wrote: »
    Personally I blame the cyclists

I blame Joe the Guards dole scroungers Dubliners useful acronyms that can be used by HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Just cos I take a day off work doesn't mean I'm going on holidays.

I could be going to the dentist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm not really on holidays when I'm at home on the couch for 5 days wearing nothing but my boxers, so telling people at the office that I'm taking annual leave kindly sidesteps any inclination to explain that.

Surprising to see so many people using this term for privacy reasons

If I don't want people to know where I'm going and they're colleagues I just say - "I won't know until I have a good look at the weather forecast and consult the chartplotter in my superyacht for inspiration"

If they're customers I say "We were supposed to go to a B&B in Ballybunion but might head to my auntie in County Mayo and save a few bob and Clew Bay is such a lovely area"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Some of us have annual leave AND flexi leave :D

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Where I come from you get a day or two 'aff' and you're damn glad to get it
    Aye. A lock a' days here n' there, hiy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

It's par for course to say annual leave in the Public Sector anyway. I know some of my friends look at me funny like I think I'm in the army when I use the words though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

It just means you're taking a day off. That's all. No globalisation conspiracy.

Not all days you take off are for holidays and if you set up an email reply that just says you're "out of the office", that doesn't make it clear that you are not working and people can ring you for stuff (thinking that you're off-site for meetings or working from home).

Saying "annual leave" tells people "I'm not working, go bother someone else".

Boggers say holidays instead of annual leave because they can just leave their job whenever they want to do errands.

People in cities have to organise things like Christmas shopping or doctors appointments. Hence all their leave isn't "holidays" its the more generic "annual leave"

Glenster wrote: »
    Boggers say holidays instead of annual leave because they can just leave their job whenever they want to do errands.

People in cities have to organise things like Christmas shopping or doctors appointments. Hence all their leave isn't "holidays" its the more generic "annual leave"

Is that right now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

It's just a catch all phrase, where I work. You could be on a week's holidays in Ballybunion, or at home for a week painting the sitting room. Either way, you're using up a week of your 'annual leave', and don't want to be bothered with work calls and queries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭guile4582

you high?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I blame Personnel, or is it Human Resources? Oops sorry, it's now Human Capital and their "business partners"....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Enjoy.
    ps would be obliged if someone could embed it in the post, a skill that continues to allude me: I must take my leave now.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People get som bothered by nothing.

Paid Time Off or PTO is another one I have heard.

Who cares , as long as you get the time off.

It's the official name for holidays in public service jobs for decades. The form I fill out for holidays is called an "annual leave application". I can remember my parents taking about taking "annual leave" 30 years ago also.

Plenty of people working in cities can come and go also to some extent to get things done in town etc. Not every job involves drone like clocking in and your every move being watched during the day, I know mine doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I would say I'm going to Ballybunion but really I'd be on some bigshot's yacht snorting coke off a hooker's arse. I'd rather have them think I'm in Ballybunion lest they get the idea they're paying me too much

Probably the same reason we no longer say ''on holiday''. Sounds too much like you are having a nice time.

Annual leave=you're permitted to leave work once a year. Much more miserable sounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

jester77 wrote: »
    Annual leave sounds like something for people with very little leave entitlement, so small that you can really only take it in one go. So it probably originates in the US where 2 weeks annual leave is quite common.

Doubt too many employers on this side of the world would be happy to see employees take all their leave in one go and be out of the office for 6-8 weeks at a time.

SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS?

*Picks jaw off floor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS?

*Picks jaw off floor

Six weeks is the base standard here, plus other days on top of that for time worked up, you quickly end up with 8 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

Six weeks is the base standard here, plus other days on top of that for time worked up, you quickly end up with 8 weeks

In Ireland, four weeks is the statutory amount. The UK fares better with five weeks statutory. But I guess Ireland's is more like five and a half weeks with the bank hols, though not everyone gets those off.

***CIVIL SERVANT ALERT***

base is four to five weeks for people in actual jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Even the most senior Civil Servants only get 32 days leave a year. 4-5 weeks is the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The term used in my work is "A L" as it's faster and more efficient that saying annual leave in its entirety.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The term used in my work is "A L" as it's faster and more efficient that saying annual leave in its entirety.

Just call it Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Jester77 is in Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Just call it Al.

Thanks for that Paul Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

I believe that poster is in Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

late to the party but its the normal term in civil/public service to differentiate from other types of leave (parental/sick etc).

• Advertisement
Advertisement