Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engage QS or not?

Options
  • 19-12-2016 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

We are building a single storey wrap around extension to an established 1980's urban semi D.

Our architect is enquiring whether we intend to use a QS to review tenders and manage costs throughout the job.

What are thoughts on the necessity of this engagement?

The cost (incl VAT EUR1,700) is a pricey extra. I get the spend money to save money concept, but not sure if the build we are having done is so complex that there would be scope for EUR1,700 saving..

Any suggestions on whether or not engagement of QS for our job is likely to be wise (and cost effective)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

The benefit of using the QS for the tender process is that you get prices based on a detailed specification (Bill of Quantities), so it is 'like for like'. That depends on how many decisions are made before going to tender e.g. type of windows, insulation, heating specification etc. Without that detail it is very difficult to know whether one builder is quoting for everything or whether it is a low ball price that they will then continuously add extras.

It also depends on how much time you want to spend shopping around to check on prices of materials or labour. With enough time on boards and google, you can keep track of a lot of the costs yourself.

I got a QS to do an initial costing based on an early design. It cost €800 and to be honest was a waste of money. Too many of the estimates were prime cost sums - so basically a guess that I could have made myself. €1700 incl VAT for a bill of quantities, managing the tender process and managing the costs through the work appears to be cheap compared to the quotes I got. A QS is like any professional, some are great and some are useless. You should ask the QS for references from some recent clients who have done similar projects. They will be the best people to tell you if added value.

Advertisement