Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cams in an EV/hybrid

• 19-12-2016 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I've been lurking here for a while, finally plucked up the courage to post. I have a hybrid due Jan 2017, so I'm looking forward to joining the dark side ;)

I have an old model Blackvue camera that I'd hopefully pair with a more up-to-date model for the front. They have an additional module that allows recording when the ignition is off and when motion is detected in front of the camera. I don't have the knowledge or qualifications to go messing with internal electrics, so I'd never consider installing it myself.

Just a couple of questions:
    Are there any considerations to be made for the electrics like the battery, or are they similar to an ICE?
    If anyone has a recommendation for an installer that has experience with dashcam installing in an EV/hybrid, I'm all ears. Dublin/Wicklow areas, but I can travel.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There's standard battery just like ICE cars to look after this kind of stuff I believe so you should fair out the same.

If worried, you could buy the battery bank for dash cams so parking mode is powered from a small battery bank rather than the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭deepimpact

I was thinking that it should be the same as a conventional installation, but I'd rather be sure. I've been reading a number of other forums and it should be a relatively straightforward installation.

I suppose any competent installer should be able to do this. Any tips on an installer? I see the main Motors forum has a few names recommended, I suppose I could start there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

I use a Blackvue DR650-2CH in the i3 and I use a Vicovation Marcus 3 in the Leaf.

In the i3 there's no issue running the dashcam continuously while parked as the DC-DC converter runs in all situations, so the camera could run from now to 2018 without making much of a dent in the state of charge.

In the Leaf the DC-DC converter doesn't run when the vehicle is connected to a charger. So if you leave the car on the charger with the camera on for a week or more and jet off on holiday, the 12V battery could be flat by the time you get back due to the combined power draw of the onboard telematics unit and the camera.

A plug-in hybrid I'd assume has fairly ICE-like fuseboards and the sort.... probably with a EV-like DC-DC converter instead of an alternator. In that case I'd avoid ever getting yourself into a situation where you flatten 12V battery as a jump start might fry the DC-DC system. Vicovation, BlackVue and others have little boxes that sit between the fuse board and the camera and prevent the camera from flattening the battery. BlackVue calls theirs "Power Magic" and Vicovation has the "Vico-Power". They are not much use on most EVs but on a hybrid or ICE they are a useful failsafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭deepimpact

Yeah, I have the Blackvue DR500GW with a Park Magic unit left over from my old car.
    Once there are no major safety issues, I think it should be okay. Just need to find a good installer now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

cros13 wrote: »
    I use a Blackvue DR650-2CH in the i3 and I use a Vicovation Marcus 3 in the Leaf.

In the i3 there's no issue running the dashcam continuously while parked as the DC-DC converter runs in all situations, so the camera could run from now to 2018 without making much of a dent in the state of charge.

In the Leaf the DC-DC converter doesn't run when the vehicle is connected to a charger. So if you leave the car on the charger with the camera on for a week or more and jet off on holiday, the 12V battery could be flat by the time you get back due to the combined power draw of the onboard telematics unit and the camera.

A plug-in hybrid I'd assume has fairly ICE-like fuseboards and the sort.... probably with a EV-like DC-DC converter instead of an alternator. In that case I'd avoid ever getting yourself into a situation where you flatten 12V battery as a jump start might fry the DC-DC system. Vicovation, BlackVue and others have little boxes that sit between the fuse board and the camera and prevent the camera from flattening the battery. BlackVue calls theirs "Power Magic" and Vicovation has the "Vico-Power". They are not much use on most EVs but on a hybrid or ICE they are a useful failsafe.

I beleive the DC DC issue has been fixed in 2015+. Certainly my 2016 30kwh can remain plugged in for days with no ill effects on the 12v battery. The car was left for 5 weeks in June with no noticeable effects on the 12v battery

• Advertisement

I'd recommend the Vicovation cams over the Blackvue. Quality is so much better. I only keep the blackvue around 'cause I have wifi in the i3 and can remotely access the camera over the cloud. Keep in mind the Blackvue is also more expensive.

Vicovation Marcus 4 (141 leaf before I got the 161):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B41uqPDnCak0cy1NSkc1MXpRajA/view?usp=sharing

Blackvue (i3, this clip is just before the guy in the van in front of me had a heart attack and hit some parked cars):
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B41uqPDnCak0MXNnTFVTcXJiS2M/view?usp=sharing

download the original files for proper quality

BoatMad wrote: »
    I beleive the DC DC issue has been fixed in 2015+. Certainly my 2016 30kwh can remain plugged in for days with no ill effects on the 12v battery. The car was left for 5 weeks in June with no noticeable effects on the 12v battery

That's possible. Never had an issue myself with the Mk1.5 and 1.75. Met a few people who had issues but they were mainly MK1 Leaf owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Where is the camera wired into? I have mine piggy backing in the first fuse I found but it means it only powers in while the car is turned on.

s.welstead wrote: »
    Where is the camera wired into? I have mine piggy backing in the first fuse I found but it means it only powers in while the car is turned on.

There's an always on 5V supply in the KAFAS camera housing if you have that fitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭stesaurus

There's an always on 5V supply in the KAFAS camera housing if you have that fitted.

No housing, I have it wired in using one of these 51sMnDK6CNL._SX425_.jpg

How does the housing wire in?

• Advertisement

s.welstead wrote: »
    How does the housing wire in?

Cut the right wires and solder.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

I am looking in to getting the Blackvue as it looks more compact and I don't need to have a live screen.
    Aside from catching any incidents in traffic, my major need is to pickup any incidents of damage while the car is parked. Is this dash cam good for this sort of thing ?

Advertisement