Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

commute route

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I go through castle knock / Phoenix park / quays on my commute and find it grand. The quays are busy especially on the return leg home but I'd imagine the navan road is equally busy & much longer as you'd be missing the park section which is lovely & quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For me I go straight through the park and up the quays. Home I just go down the S Quays but I dislike it. Gets better with experience. I've never found decent alternative for the home route.

You can also go down the canal at the 12th lock to cross guns bridge. A lot slower but nice in the summer. Then down N.Circular rd. No so keen in the dark. But it can be busy with surprising numbers of people.

D.15 really needed the Quay cycle path to be completed. Avoiding the quays home seems to take lot longer and has arguably worse traffic.

I'm only doing it now and then these day. Often I cheat and get the train home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Thanks for the replay, I was hoping there was some route that I did not know about, really was hoping I could avoid the Quays mainly on the way home, I have done that route a few time in rush hour and it is just madness, mainly people jumping out in front of you and other people cycling taking up the hole road (cycling so slow) so u can not pass them out (mainly Dublin bikes, sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Well it is the city you'll always have to go slower with so many people around.

You can follow the luas tracks where you're allowed. But its even slower. The quays are just the straightest route.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

North Quays are generally the safe with a bit of common sense as ever. On the return, I'd personally avoid the South Quays like the plague. The Navan road is mostly grand, but you could go up North Circular Road too and go left at Peter's Church in Phibsboro and continue into the park via North Circular.

Doyles Corner is the only problem I ever had on North Circular (beside being hit by a dopey driver), both directions, but more so going into town personally.

Edit: There's also the canal which could get you as far as Amiens Street, albeit you'd need to come off at Phibsboro and go down Whitworth Road most likely and there are a few annoying gates on the Ashtown to Broombridge stretch. It's fairly quiet though and nice (I did once go into canal though, due to extreme carelessness).

You could try a mix of routes. Keep it interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Delboy007

Weepsie wrote: »
    North Quays are generally the safe with a bit of common sense as ever. On the return, I'd personally avoid the South Quays like the plague. The Navan road is mostly grand, but you could go up North Circular Road too and go left at Peter's Church in Phibsboro and continue into the park via North Circular.

Doyles Corner is the only problem I ever had on North Circular (beside being hit by a dopey driver), both directions, but more so going into town personally.

Edit: There's also the canal which could get you as far as Amiens Street, albeit you'd need to come off at Phibsboro and go down Whitworth Road most likely and there are a few annoying gates on the Ashtown to Broombridge stretch. It's fairly quiet though and nice (I did once go into canal though, due to extreme carelessness).

You could try a mix of routes. Keep it interesting.
    Thanks, good idea I will go down the Quays going to work and then home on the Navan rd, never thought of the Canal, will check that out too.

Advertisement