Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for pub experience

Options
  • 19-12-2016 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi im ill be 18 for the summer coming and looking for pub experience/job around cork city. No experience but very enthusiastic and wanting to learn. I know getting a pub job in cork is tough work without experience but id be willing to do like 1 to 2 weeks no pay just to get the experience and learn the trade. Would be available from june to the start if September and every weekend. Would love aome help if ye have any advice or people to contact thanks a million. Pm for cv aswell, i know being very optimistic hahaha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Do not offer to work for free, no matter how little experience you have, this is just wrong and any employer with ethics would not allow it anyway.

If you are lucky enough to land some work then you will inevitably start on glass collection and general table cleaning and help closing up at night, basically you won't be pulling pints cracking wise ones to the locals initially.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

Do not offer to work for free, no matter how little experience you have, this is just wrong and any employer with ethics would not allow it anyway.

If you are lucky enough to land some work then you will inevitably start on glass collection and general table cleaning and help closing up at night, basically you won't be pulling pints cracking wise ones to the locals initially.

Good luck.
    He's thinking along the lines of TY work experience where students do work experience, purely to get experience, without pay, in an effort to get the necessary experience to get a job. I don't think your advice is necessarily the correct advice. I can see where you are coming from but I can also see Patrick's point and his motivation to get into the pub industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Or you could apply for a bar job in a hotel.

It would be better hours than a nightclub.

Or in a regular bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Patrick Coke

mikeym wrote: »
    Or you could apply for a bar job in a hotel.

It would be better hours than a nightclub.

Id nearly all hotels in cork require like 2 to 3 years of experience at least

• Advertisement

When you are under 18, a lot of bars might only have you collecting glasses and the likes. If you know anybody in the pub business, where you could even volunteer for a couple of days, purely to get some experience. Keep sending out your cvs by email to as many pubs as you can and explain how you really want to work in the trade and tell about what skills you already have, willing to work hard etc. you could get lucky. Even to start with a few hours on a Saturday, you could get your foot on the ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

parkerpen wrote: »
    Keep sending out your cvs by email to as many pubs as you can

Don't do this - they will be deleted. Dress smart, approach pubs in person and ask to speak to the manager and hand them your CV in person. Outline everything else that has been said so far in the thread showing your enthusiasm for the trade. Good luck.

Advertisement