Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lights at entrance

Options
  • 19-12-2016 7:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭

Trench dug for Eircom out to my front gate. 180meters.

thinking of adding in cable for lights at my entrance on the piers.

can I drop in Swa armoured cable into the trench before I backfill?

what size ye reckon?

its 180meters and powering two led lights on top of piers. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Tom Hagen wrote: »

what size ye reckon?

Run normal nym j 2.5 if you think you would ever want to put in electronic gates and 1.5 for lights

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Tom Hagen

Run normal nym j 2.5 if you think you would ever want to put in electronic gates and 1.5 for lights

cool thanks.
    3 x 2.5 swa cable i have readily available. the local store has it handy. #
    will this do the trick?

i am only putting in lights. living rural area on private lane not going with elec gates. i know where ur coming from tho.

cool thanks.
    will this do the trick?

i am only putting in lights. living rural area on private lane not going with elec gates. i know where ur coming from tho.

Yeah would be fine run it in the ducting shouldn't be any issues.

Yeah would be fine run it in the ducting shouldn't be any issues.

can i run this in same ducting with eircom cable? or can i run it in the trench but not in any ducting. swa cable is ok to leave in earth i understand?

can i run this in same ducting with eircom cable? or can i run it in the trench but not in any ducting. swa cable is ok to leave in earth i understand?

SWA is protected so OK in trench but cable would need to be in ducting.

I've done it without issues but some may have an issue with it.

• Advertisement

SWA is protected so OK in trench but cable would need to be in ducting.

I've done it without issues but some may have an issue with it.

grand job.

now if i want driveway lights maybe next year or in the future. can i leave a little manhole every 40-50meters with this swa through the manhole so i can tap into this for driveway lights if i want ? is that a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

The swa may cause interference with the Eircom cable if in the same duct. I would put the swa in a separate duct even though it can be directly into the ground.

grand job.

now if i want driveway lights maybe next year or in the future. can i leave a little manhole every 40-50meters with this swa through the manhole so i can tap into this for driveway lights if i want ? is that a good idea

You could do that or leave a loop at points you feel you might use then connect to a junction box and get the special silicone gel. Can't remember the name but its suitable for submerging connectors and that so no moisture or flooding will be an issue.

You could do that or leave a loop at points you feel you might use then connect to a junction box and get the special silicone gel. Can't remember the name but its suitable for submerging connectors and that so no moisture or flooding will be an issue.

not 100% sure on how that works. sounds better than a manhole option tho. but me and my digger driver are dimwits , would be easier for us to leave a little manhole out for future connections along the driveway and let the electrician do his thing down the line. if we leave enough slack in the cable in the manhole he can cut it and add junction box etc can he?

not 100% sure on how that works. sounds better than a manhole option tho. but me and my digger driver are dimwits , would be easier for us to leave a little manhole out for future connections along the driveway and let the electrician do his thing down the line. if we leave enough slack in the cable in the manhole he can cut it and add junction box etc can he?

Nice of you to think of sparky not many do.

Yes that would be a bang up job.

• Advertisement

Nice of you to think of sparky not many do.

Yes that would be a bang up job.

right, i ran 3 x 2.5 swa armoured cable all the way from utility room to the front gate for lights on the entrance piers and I left out 5 loops up out of the trench for street lights, staggered out along. (180meter driveway). these are now literally just cocking up out of the clay beside the driveway.

When the time comes, i need to build my street light bases around the loops.

so How does the sparky tap into the swa? does he cut it and use junction box and run a cable up inside the street light to the bulb? just out of interest.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That is a long cable run for such a small cable. This means a high earth fault loop impedance which is only complaint with regulations (to ensure that disconnection times are fast enough) once the MCB (or fuse) is small. A small MCB means that only a small load can be connected. Also the volt drop should be carefully looked at especially with long cable runs to ensure that it is not excessive. Therefore it would be prudent to calculate the maximum load and calculate the cable size accordingly. Also if you are considering installing electric gates it would be an idea to install an intercom cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,129 ✭✭✭✭elperello

cool thanks.
    will this do the trick?

It won't break the bank to make provision for electric gates now in case you change your mind in future.

2011 wrote: »
    That is a long cable run for such a small cable. This means a high earth fault loop impedance which is only complaint with regulations (to ensure that disconnection times are fast enough) once the MCB (or fuse) is small. A small MCB means that only a small load can be connected. Also the volt drop should be carefully looked at especially with long cable runs to ensure that it is not excessive. Therefore it would be prudent to calculate the maximum load and calculate the cable size accordingly. Also if you are considering installing electric gates it would be an idea to install an intercom cable.

will be fine for lights. not for electric gates.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

will be fine for lights. not for electric gates.

It probably will be, it depends on the load.
    Not having electric gates will reduce the load alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

what size ye reckon?

NJM-J is not suitable for burial.

Risteard81 wrote: »

Never said it was but is if in conduit or ducting suitable.

Never said it was but is if in conduit or ducting suitable.
    Unless it is earthed conduit or ducting then it won't ensure ADS operates when the cable is damaged.

Unless it is earthed conduit or ducting then it won't ensure ADS operates when the cable is damaged.

Are you suggesting that the conduit / ducting has to be conductive ?

The red ESB type ducting provides ample protection to underground cabling.

Are you suggesting that the conduit / ducting has to be conductive ?

The red ESB type ducting provides ample protection to underground cabling.
    I am suggesting that really SWA is the most suitable for burial because of the earthed armour (or MIMS because of the earthed sheath).
    If you put a spade through NYM-J or Hi-Tuff there is no guarantee of disconnection. Instead you could have a live spade. Ducting will not resist penetration by a spade etc.

• Advertisement

I am suggesting that really SWA is the most suitable for burial because of the earthed armour (or MIMS because of the earthed sheath).
    If you put a spade through NYM-J or Hi-Tuff there is no guarantee of disconnection. Instead you could have a live spade. Ducting will not resist penetration by a spade etc.

Fair enough, but NYMJ installed in the ESB compliant red duct meets the requirements of the regulations. In my opinion the risk of putting a spade through a cable installed in this manner is minimal for the following reasons:

1) The duct itself provides high impact resistance.
    2) The duct is not buried close to the surface. I am open to correction here but from memory the regulations state that it should be buried at a depth of at least 3 feet.
    3) A suitable warning tape is buried over the duct.

Apart from the expense I would not be keen on using a metal conduit. Even a galvanized metal duct would rust badly over time particularly at the joins and there would be a lot of joins over 180m.

I'd be very surprised if you got much of a shock from a spade in any case. It's an earth electrode at that point and the person is a parallel high resistance load if the spade is conductive.
    Much the same as water isn't as dangerous as people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I'd be very surprised if you got much of a shock from a spade in any case. It's an earth electrode at that point and the person is a parallel high resistance load if the spade is conductive.
    Much the same as water isn't as dangerous as people think.

There would be little shock risk. The spade possibly being in contact with the ground would have little bearing though.

It probably will be, it depends on the load.
    Not having electric gates will reduce the load alright.

when you say load? would I be better off using LED bulbs in the pier lights and street lights to reduce the load :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

when you say load? would I be better off using LED bulbs in the pier lights and street lights to reduce the load :confused:

In this day and age you would be better to use LED both to reduce the load and your ESB bill.

Yes, and as per the above post this will result in reduced running costs.

Bruthal wrote: »
    The spade possibly being in contact with the ground would have little bearing though.

Why do you say that? If you only nicked the line I thought it would be relatively significant. The rest of the outcomes are lower risk by comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Why do you say that? If you only nicked the line I thought it would be relatively significant. The rest of the outcomes are lower risk by comparison.

Because even a proper earth rod connected straight to an MCB is unlikely to trip it. Earth rods become more effective when they are many, such as in a housing estate being all connected to N, because earth only becomes a good conductor via large surface area, so a shovel making some contact with the ground won't have a huge bearing on changing shock risk.

The shovel in contact with a live point and also earth (soil), will still be at 230v relative to all earth except right at the immediate few inches around the shovel. It's still a 230v point as it would be if no contact with earth. It doesn't drop to earth potential, nor does it bring any real amount of the earth up to 230v. The effect on the level of shock risk is minimal, since even if it was just nicking the live conductor without earth contact, the risk still isn't that high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Should be on an rcd also for outside lighting if I am correct, unless above a particular hight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement