Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone but MVG

• 19-12-2016 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭

Although he doesn't have a great record at the Worlds, I think the game in general would benefit from anyone but MVG winning this.

He's starting to dominate like PT did and that's not good for the game when one player wins everything.

Can't see Anderson winning it this year, so who would you like to see win it.

I'd love to see Wade do it but that's not gonna happen ,who would you like to see win it?

TbL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

I totally agree with you. When one player starts to win everything, people lose interest in the sport, because it becomes too predictable.

I'd like Peter Wright to win it myself. It would be an even sweeter win if he beat MVG along the way.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

He's draw will be

Reyes in round 2

Potentially Simon Whitlock or Darren Webster in Round 3

Potentially Daryl Gurney (last guy to beat him), Robert Thornton or Mark Webster in the QFs

Could Face Phil Taylor, Adrian Lewis or RVB In the semi finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I'd like Wright to win it, afaik, he's never won a tv final despite making a number of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'd like Wright to win it, afaik, he's never won a tv final despite making a number of them

He must be really pissed off at losing too MVG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

He's starting to dominate like PT did and that's not good for the game when one player wins everything.

Have to disagree with the bolded bit. The reason the standard is so high in PDC today is because players had to up their game to try match PT and youngsters only starting out wanted to be like him. It's the same thing with MVG these days. Raising the bar is good in any sport.

That's not to say I want MVG to win all the time. For different reasons I'd like to see Gurney (loyalty) and Wade (overcoming his demons) do well but I don't think either are at the level they'd need to be at to win it.

Of the realistic contenders I'd love to see Peter Wright winning it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 DCD162

I'd agree with the OP in the sense that I just dont want MVG to win but its more due to the fact that I find a lot of other players more likable than him. If he keeps playing and winning the way he has been this year, it would be a deserved victory.

If he wins it by dominating every game, which looks likely, then he deserves it and fair play to him. If he goes on to dominate for years to come it will be because of how good he actually is.

For a lot of the Phil Taylor years of dominance, there was no real serious contender. When RVB came along he was really challenged but it MVG has a much stronger field to work through. Clearly Anderson and Lewis have the ability to win the Worlds but on their day theres plenty players in the tournament that can beat MVG so if he manages to fight them all off fair play to him!

Having said all that, I'd love to see Anderson win it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭RainMakerToo

shocksy wrote: »
    I totally agree with you. When one player starts to win everything, people lose interest in the sport, because it becomes too predictable.

I'd like Peter Wright to win it myself. It would be an even sweeter win if he beat MVG along the way.... :D

Don't think Anderson will win again, had him backed the last 2 years though :)

20 euros each way on Wright this year, could be a repeat of the 2014 final - Wright on opposite side of the draw if I read it right! If MvG loses before the final, it all opens up really. Hard to see past him on current form though. Terrible odds for him though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I'd like to see MVG win it, preferably thrashing Phil Taylor somewhere along the way too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I'm not an MvG fan in that I don't mind whether he wins or loses although I generally root for him. He is great to watch when in full flow and the speed at which he calculates his next throw based on what he hits is astounding as he doesn't miss a beat.

It's a pity he doesn't have more matches like the Reyes one last night but in time other players will compete better against him. He's not going to win 25 tournaments every year.

Advertisement