Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Health Centre

Options
  • 19-12-2016 8:45pm

Paid my first visit here today since 2009. The shop is closed down, the restaurant/fast food place next to it is gone (there were a few stragglers sitting around chatting), the pharmacy is gone. (I could smell fried food cooking somewhere but it wasn't downstairs). The place was dead.

What are they proposing to bring life back into this place? We have, after all, paid a lot of money out of our annual fees to build it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Fuaranach wrote: »
    Paid my first visit here today since 2009. The shop is closed down, the restaurant/fast food place next to it is gone (there were a few stragglers sitting around chatting), the pharmacy is gone. (I could smell fried food cooking somewhere but it wasn't downstairs). The place was dead.

What are they proposing to bring life back into this place? We have, after all, paid a lot of money out of our annual fees to build it.

I think you mean Student Centre and not Student Health Centre (although that's what it's become!)

The university doesn't really need two student centres. It needs one good one. The thing is a travesty of planning: the first centre was waaay too small. The second one doesn't have adequate space for societies.

That huge empty space behind the student centre is completely wasted (used for one week in September). It was meant to re-house the tennis courts that were to be demolished to make way for a multi-story car park. The multi-story carpark would be impractical for most users (requiring use of the Clonskeagh entrance, and too far from places like the School of business, library, Law, etc.) The multi-story car park was going to entail the destruction of many of the other carparks in the university (as UCD is restricted in the number of car-parking spaces it can have, despite not being on either the Luas or DART networks). The multi-story carpark was refused planning, so the space behind the student centre is in limbo (a bit like how the old runnning track is in limbo.

Maybe the old student centre itself is in limbo too? Who knows, maybe there are plans to demolish it and turn it into something more profitable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You were in there during the second week of exams, I've seen it much busier during term time.

Advertisement