Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uPvc Windows

Options
  • 19-12-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I am currently in the process of building a new home ,I am using a building contractor and he originally priced white UPvc passive windows , we changed the colour to grey and now the price has jumped by €1200 + vat , there is approx 30 pieces , I knew that there would be a slight price difference but it seems a bit much , has anyone any feedback or experience with this?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Go back to white. And wait for the call from the window guy.

30 units / 1200 = €40 per unit for non standard colour. Probably a special order. Just see what the rep has to say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Srazorr wrote: »
    I am currently in the process of building a new home ,I am using a building contractor and he originally priced white UPvc passive windows , we changed the colour to grey and now the price has jumped by €1200 + vat , there is approx 30 pieces , I knew that there would be a slight price difference but it seems a bit much , has anyone any feedback or experience with this?

Sounds about right. Builder may have had a pre order which now needs to be changed and may have a knock on affect to lead in times which he has to budget for.

Are you going grey on grey or choosing a different colour internally?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Srazorr

As far as I'm aware there was no pressure order in place , I'm going grey both sides , a mate of mine got his windows fitted 2 months ago (23 pieces )same spec and was charged €500 extra , I'm getting another company to price it up today so I can compare the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Di you choose the windows yourselves? The biggest mistake I made on an extension build 15 years ago was letting the builder choose the windows and sliding door. Mullions and transoms were too wide, and after 10 years we had problems with poor catches and a faulty sliding mechanism. You will be looking at and using those windows for a long time, they will cost a lot of €s, put in the time now to make sure you get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Op whats the exact spec on the
    "white UPvc passive windows"
    please

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Triple glazed uPvc with a 0 .7 u value

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Manufacturers charge 15-20% on top for colored PVC

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Srazorr wrote: »
    Triple glazed uPvc with a 0 .7 u value

???

as far as i am aware there is only one PVC product on the market certified at that U Value

munster joinery Passive PVC

and even at that its certified as 0.74 U Value.

Yes that's the one.

Advertisement