Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N+1 Advice (New Bike).

Options
  • 19-12-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

I know the 'new bike' threads have been done to death but I need the opinions & input of fellow Boardsies on this one.

I've been considering a new bike for a while.

Currently I have a Giant Defy 4 (2014) that is closing in on 20,000km. There's nothing wrong with it. I upgraded it 2 years ago with full Shimano 105 5800 and Zondas. I use it for commuting and for weekend spins. I'm thinking of consigning the Giant to commute/winter work and getting a new bike for the longer summer spins.

I'd like the new bike to be better in every way - not be because I need it but because I want it. This is a luxury purchase and not something I get to make often. I've done a crap load of research and here's a list of what I'd like.

1. Carbon frame
    2. Full Ultegra
    3. Decent wheels
    4. Relaxed geometry

I've an absolute maximum of €1,800 to spend.

The best value that I can find is the Canyon Endurace 7.0SL.

I don't want disc brakes as the wheels on both bikes won't be interchangeable.

If I were to purchase the Canyon I'd probably put my Zondas on it and use the Mavics on my Giant.

Any thoughts on the Canyon? How would it compare geometry wise to my Giant?

Is there anything else out there that I should consider?

I did look at the Planet X self build but I've kind of gone off that idea.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Value for money wise I don't think you could do much better than some of the Dolans

They even have a Di2 option at just under £1,500 which would equate to your €1,800 limit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Beasty wrote: »
    Value for money wise I don't think you could do much better than some of the Dolans

They even have a Di2 option at just under £1,500 which would equate to your €1,800 limit

:D

Nice one, Beasty. Something to seriously consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

hi, I have the canyon endurance cf9 , have it 2 years now and am happy with it, I had a defy3 before it and the canyon is not as relaxed as the defy, it's very stiff compared to the giant with a racier profile and it's very fast off the mark compared to the defy I had, having said that I really enjoyed the defy and at my age, 56 I would probably go for a carbon/composite defy next time but the endurance has the best bang for the buck and is pleasant on the eye, best of luck anyway

minterno wrote: »
    hi, I have the canyon endurance cf9 , have it 2 years now and am happy with it, I had a defy3 before it and the canyon is not as relaxed as the defy, it's very stiff compared to the giant with a racier profile and it's very fast off the mark compared to the defy I had, having said that I really enjoyed the defy and at my age, 56 I would probably go for a carbon/composite defy next time but the endurance has the best bang for the buck and is pleasant on the eye, best of luck anyway

I agree about the very relaxed geometry of the Defy range. I looked at a Defy advanced but the discs brakes put me off as I'd like the wheels to be interchangeable.

The Dolans that Beasty linked have similar geometry in most respects but the stack is -40mm compared to my Giant. I assume that this means I'll be leaned forward a bit more. Maybe I should swap my spacers around to see how that feels.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rose could also be worth considering, as they allow for quite a bit of customisation so that you get the exact bike you're after. That said, mine took an age to get to me, but others have fared better. I went for a CX bike, being more interested in comfort on crap roads and fire roads than performance, which I love.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i know that mcquaid cycles in finglas have a carbon dolan that he built up a few years ago but never sold. i got the impression he'd do a deal on it (this is based purely on him offering me twice what i assumed my own bike was worth on a trade in); it's probably about the equivalent of a 52cm frame. ksyrium wheels, mainly ultegra (10 speed though i think). he's asking €1700 on it, which is a little steep as the components are a few year old, but may be worth a look if you're on the northside and the size suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... it's probably about the equivalent of a 52cm frame....
    I don't think crosstownk would squeeze into a 52 frame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mini-circus-clown-bike.jpg

?

I don't think crosstownk would squeeze into a 52 frame.
    mini-circus-clown-bike.jpg

?

Both are correct!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Have you considered a steel frame? Lots of bargains out there and the quality is good.

• Advertisement

I presume you're staying with 10sp as you referred to inter-changing wheels. You could go for a build. Ultegra 10sp groupset has become a bit cheaper since the 11sp came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

crosstownk wrote: »
    I know the 'new bike' threads have been done to death but I need the opinions & input of fellow Boardsies on this one.

Currently I have a Giant Defy 4 (2014) that is closing in on 20,000km. There's nothing wrong with it. I upgraded it 2 years ago with full Shimano 105 5800 and Zondas. I use it for commuting and for weekend spins. I'm thinking of consigning the Giant to commute/winter work and getting a new bike for the longer summer spins.

I'd like the new bike to be better in every way - not be because I need it but because I want it. This is a luxury purchase and not something I get to make often. I've done a crap load of research and here's a list of what I'd like.

1. Carbon frame
    2. Full Ultegra
    3. Decent wheels
    4. Relaxed geometry

If I were to purchase the Canyon I'd probably put my Zondas on it and use the Mavics on my Giant.

Ive a defy one nearly 4 years now, with 10 speed 105 and zondas on it, so similar to yourself. I love it, especially the geomtry as I wouldnt have the world's best back. My bro has a canyon ultimate cf sl 9.0 with full ultegra and its a cracker, but a lot racier. I've not had it for a long enough spin to see the effects the racier geomtry would have mind you. Its incredibly light and imho amazing value for money. If I knew I could handle the geomtry and be delighted with it.
    Recently did a cycling holiday in Girona and rented a Cannondale Synapse, full carbon and 105, and loved it. Very similar geomtry to my defy but a much smoother ride. It suited me so well. I'd happily look at one or an equivalent from another manufacturer if and when Im upgrading. I think the geometry is a huge factor that many ignore, especially as we get older and injuries etc start to take their toll.
    But if the geometry is good for you with thr canyon, I'd jump on it.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

I presume you're staying with 10sp as you referred to inter-changing wheels. You could go for a build. Ultegra 10sp groupset has become a bit cheaper since the 11sp came in.
    Nope:

1. Carbon frame
    2. Full Ultegra
    3. Decent wheels
    4. Relaxed geometry

terrydel wrote: »
    Ive a defy one nearly 4 years now, with 10 speed 105 and zondas on it, so similar to yourself. I love it, especially the geomtry as I wouldnt have the world's best back. My bro has a canyon ultimate cf sl 9.0 with full ultegra and its a cracker, but a lot racier. I've not had it for a long enough spin to see the effects the racier geomtry would have mind you. Its incredibly light and imho amazing value for money. If I knew I could handle the geomtry and be delighted with it.
    Recently did a cycling holiday in Girona and rented a Cannondale Synapse, full carbon and 105, and loved it. Very similar geomtry to my defy but a much smoother ride. It suited me so well. I'd happily look at one or an equivalent from another manufacturer if and when Im upgrading. I think the geometry is a huge factor that many ignore, especially as we get older and injuries etc start to take their toll.
    But if the geometry is good for you with thr canyon, I'd jump on it.
    Best of luck.

The Canyon Endurace range (which the OP linked) would actually be their closest equivalent to the Synapse in Cannondale, with a slightly more relaxed geometry. The Ultimate range are probably more intended to line up against some of the racier Cannondales like the Supersix and the like, so probably not so much of a concern for the OP.

cython wrote: »
    ...Nope:....
    Apologies - didn't realise 5800 was 11sp! :o

Cheers for the replies folks.

Geometry is a concern alright. I've discovered that my current Defy is quite relaxed compared to others. It has a massive head tube (205mm) which results in a stack of 604mm. I'm assuming that if I keep the reach similar, a lower stack will have me more 'bent over' depending on what I have to play with by utilising spacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Brilliant Frame,Full Ultegra, Fulcrum 7's are on a par with the Aksiums on the Canyon.
    I have the Cayo and use it for Audax spins so it's pretty relaxed geometry wise, and I have bought from this company before with no issues.

https://www.linkradquadrat.de/sonderangebote/393/focus-cayo-ultegra-modell-2016?c=46

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm also shopping for a new bike. 90% of this will be used for commuting every day (bout 8k each way), but also like to do some longer spins (have done Orwell Randonne, Ring of Beara etc in the past year). Using a BTW scheme and have it narrowed down to two choices.

Cannondale Synapse Sora - reputible brand, basic groupset, not sure what wheels.
    Cube Attain SL - Shimano 105s, Aksium Elite wheels.
    Boardman Team Carbon - Carbon frame/fork, Shimano Tiagra, basic wheels.

Just even typing that out I think I'm discounting the Cannondale. The others seem to come down to the Wheels/Groupset Vs Carbon bike. Any suggestions on what I should go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

@ crosstwonk I'd try a few bikes for size, it might be that another bike will be more suited to your proportions (legs vs torso length), you might find that another brand you will feel more relaxed, a shorter reach might have you sitting more upright, less stretch to reach the bars. Canyon looks like a good deal, father in law has one, few years old now but still looks great and is still very very light compared to newer bikes. His only issue with it is he has no reason to upgrade it! Would need to be fairly sure on the sizing though, but they do give a good bit of info online.

@shedite, each of them bikes has something going for it. Cannondale frames have great reputations, carbon and alu. But at that price it will be pluses for each and minuses for each. My advice would be buy the one you like the look of the best. That's the one you will use the most. Everything apart from the frame can and will probably need to be changed/upgraded at some stage so I wouldn't get too hung up on parts. Buy the frame you like the best.

Edit: in saying that the cube does look like a pretty good deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 maconsid

I've put about 10km on a canyon endurance AL with ultegra. Great bike. I went from a hybrid the endurace and got used to it very quick so wouldn't worry too much about geometry. Also wouldn't concern myself with Carbon! Love the ultegra groupsets, but can be pricey to maintain over the irish winter!

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies.

I was so close to pulling the trigger on the Canyon when Beasty's suggestion of a Dolan was posted but despite the great price the geometry was too aggressive for me.

I've alway's had a hard on for Lapierre bikes so today I went to the Cycle Superstore in Tallaght and bought a Lapierre Sensium 600. I've to collect in an hour or so. It ran me €100 over budget which isn't too bad as I would have had to pay shipping costs to Canyon.

I hope Mrs. crosstownk never reads this thread or I'm a dead man!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Thanks for all the replies.

I was so close to pulling the trigger on the Canyon when Beasties suggestion of the a Dolan was posted but despite the great price the geometry was too aggressive for me.

I've alway's had a hard on for Lapierre bikes so today I went to the Cycle Superstore in Tallaght and bought a Lapierre Sensium 600. I've to collect in an hour or so. It ran me €100 over budget which isn't too bad as I would have had to pay shipping costs to Canyon.

I hope Mrs. crosstownk never reads this thread or I'm a dead man!

You just bagged yourself a savage bike. Good price too, from what I can see on CSS. may you have many happy KMs on it! Personally I think Canyon have almost lost their "Value" advantage now, unless you grab one in a Sale or the Outlet.

Out of interest, what size did you need/go for?

Out of interest, what size did you need/go for?

I went for a large (55cm). I'm 183cm.

It was a decent bargain with the added bonus of buying it in a bricks and mortar shop just up the road and also getting to take it for a spin first.

I have to say that the service in CSS was first class. I showed them the price of the same bike in another shop that was €100 less and they immediately matched the price which saved me a drive to Tullamore.

Advertisement