Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing 7x57 Ammunition

Options
  • 19-12-2016 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Folks,
    Inherited a lovely Sauer Drilling..Anyone know of a 7x57r ammo stockist? (r: Rimmed for break action..)
    Thank you!
    (KK/CW)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭smallfry

Try Pat White in Claremorris, he stocks some of the less common calibres.

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

7x57r would be about as rare as hens teeth in this country. I think you will need to get a dealer to import some especially for you.
    I own a 7x57, its difficult enough to get Ammo for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Well, folks, I really SHOULD be outside playing trains, but it's howlin' down here, so I'm stuck in the shed instead.

Having all this time to spare means that I've been able to get on line and do some checking for the OP in an effort to find his ammunition here in GB - I'd let HIM try Northern Ireland.

I have found that McCleod's of Tain in Ross-Shire is the ONLY dealer to have any of this VERY hard-to-find ammunition in stock. Speaking to Mr McCleod himself, he told me that future stocks are VERY iffy to say the least...

Price is £41.00/20 and the only bullet weight is 150gr.

Here is the site - http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/shooting.htm

If you do talk to him, tell him I sent you.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

tac foley wrote: »
    Well, folks, I really SHOULD be outside playing trains, but it's howlin' down here, so I'm stuck in the shed instead.

Having all this time to spare means that I've been able to get on line and do some checking for the OP in an effort to find his ammunition here in GB - I'd let HIM try Northern Ireland.

I have found that McCleod's of Tain in Ross-Shire is the ONLY dealer to have any of this VERY hard-to-find ammunition in stock. Speaking to Mr McCleod himself, he told me that future stocks are VERY iffy to say the least...

Price is £41.00/20 and the only bullet weight is 150gr.

Here is the site - http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/shooting.htm

If you do talk to him, tell him I sent you.

tac

Good man Tac, ur on the ball again

G*d bless ya, Clive, me ould flún, I does me best, in spite of ould age and general infirmities.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Ppu ammunition make it, they have four different loads. I would think anyone who stocks ppu could order it for you, but you would probably have to stump up for a case upfront, so the dealer doesn't have unsellable stock sitting around.

Gunny, it's NOT 7x57, the rimless military and hunting cartridge also known as the .275 Rigby that he is looking for.

He is looking for the 7x57 RIMMED round, designed to the fired from a double rifle or a drilling - that breaks open like a shotgun and requires the action to have ejectors to do so.

His 'drilling', the common-usage German corruption of the word 'dreiling, is a three-barrelled combination gun that is very popular on the continent. Usually it has a 12, 16 or 20 gauge shotgun barrel, a small calibre centrefire like a Hornet, and a large calibre barrel like the 9.3x74R, 8x57R or, in this case, the 7x57R.

tac

Look at the ppu website, four separate loads including a ball load for the 7x57 rimmed.

tac foley wrote: »

His 'drilling', the common-usage German corruption of the word 'dreiling, is a three-barrelled combination gun that is very popular on the continent. Usually it has a 12, 16 or 20 gauge shotgun barrel, a small calibre centrefire like a Hornet, and a large calibre barrel like the 9.3x74R, 8x57R or, in this case, the 7x57R.

tac

What do you call a gun with three barrels ? A trifle ! ..............i'll get me coat.

gunny123 wrote: »
    Look at the ppu website, four separate loads including a ball load for the 7x57 rimmed.

Apologies, gunny, you're right. I was looking at the PPU/Kranks site.

Be interesting to see the price though.

Sellier & Bellot also make four versions, and Norma another couple, but we are a long way from mainland Europe..............

Prices seem to depend on brand-name and not weight -

Blaser 154gr - 73eu

Geco 164gr - 54eu

S & B 139gr - 34.30eu [!]

Brenneke 177gr - 68eu

All 20's.

Even more interesting to see how our so far silent OP manages to license a single gun with three calibres in the Republic, if that's where he or she lives. So far my attempt to find out any more about him/her has met with silence.

tac

• Advertisement

Amazingly some of the metric calibres which are virtually unheard of here and the uk, are extremely popular on the continent. Case in point the 7x64. The 7x57/.275 rigby would be popular over there too i would imagine.

I would email the importers of ppu or sellier and bellot and ask could a quantity be ordered in. If that were to fail, can ammo be imported via frankonia or triebel in germany ? We do live in the age of credit/debit cards and air freight.

7x57 has been popular in mainland Europe since the early 1890's when it came out. Of course, only the Brits called it .275 Rigby to disassociate it from the 7x57 Mauser that was slaughtering British and Empire troops in the Second Boer War.

So I shoot .275 Rigby in my 1912 Model B Mauser sporting rifle, and 7mm Mauser in my Boer War carbine. :)

Don't want to upset the natives, doncha know?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Call it what you like but there are a few licensed. I and a group of guys go off to Hungary every year for a couple days of driven boar.

It's interesting to the the eclectic collection of firearms that appear.
    BBF,s drillings,double rifles and your Joe soap bolt action rifle.

It's on the licence application form,a box to tick for combination gun. It's a fight with your local F/O to pay for one firearms licence or two calibres.

...or THREE calibres.

Just shows how rich you guys REALLY are, right? ;)

tac

The importer into the UK is Westlander Ltd. who should be able to get Sellier & Bellot AND ship it direct to any Irish RFD.

My input to this thread is now terminated.

tac

Advertisement