Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notified insurance company, they opened a claim?

Options
  • 19-12-2016 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi,

I had a small tip recently - went into the back of someone. He didnt take much details - insurance etc or even my reg. Didnt want to call the guards either. I told him I will repair it fully and we both just went on our way.

Then he got a quote for 1400 euro to replace his bumper from a main dealer. I was advised by a guy I work with to get the insurance company involved, they can mediate and you can pay them back without affecting your NCB. I called the company to notify them of what had happened and get advice as to what my options are.The guy I spoke with at the insurance co. confirmed this is an option. Telling your insurance company in these circumstances is the advice on the insurance FAQ here also.

Now I find that they've opened a claim even though the other party has not contacted and likely will not be. He's happy to get this fixed at a local body shop.

Reading on up further on this it sounds like people are getting caught by this - notifying insurers and ending up getting listed as claimants, losing no claims bonus etc.

Any advice here? Is this something to be worried about?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

comerla wrote: »
    I had a small tip recently - went into the back of someone. He didnt take much details - insurance etc or even my reg. Didnt want to call the guards either. I told him I will repair it fully and we both just went on our way.

Red flag issue, either he had drink on him or his insurance disc and/or other windscreen paperwork was false. You should have told him you were calling the cops and he would have done a runner leaving you with no claim to worry about.

Now he wants to screw you for up to €1,400 and he knows that the way insurance premiums are going, it will be worth your while to hand over a few hundred euro cash to make him go away or see your NCB blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭comerla

coylemj wrote: »
    Red flag issue, either he had drink on him or his insurance disc and/or other windscreen paperwork was false. You should have told him you were calling the cops and he would have done a runner leaving you with no claim to worry about.

Now he wants to screw you for up to €1,400 and he knows that the way insurance premiums are going, it will be worth your while to hand over a few hundred euro cash to make him go away or see your NCB blown.

Doubt it - it seemed very minor to me and he seemed genuine. He's grand with getting it done at a place I suggested (cost will be 900 btw for genuine bumper with labour btw- have checked around on this).

What I'm interested in though is whether, if a third party doesnt make a claim, can my insurer treat me as if I've had full damages claim if all I've done is notify them of an incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

coylemj wrote: »

€1,400 is about the cost of getting a dumper replaced, if he didn't claim off your insurance I don't see how they could take your NCB

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Limbo123

Doubt it - it seemed very minor to me and he seemed genuine. He's grand with getting it done at a place I suggested (cost will be 900 btw for genuine bumper with labour btw- have checked around on this).

What I'm interested in though is whether, if a third party doesnt make a claim, can my insurer treat me as if I've had full damages claim if all I've done is notify them of an incident?

The exact same thing happened to my mum a few years back. She contacted her insurance company for advice after a tip and then decided to sort between her and the other party. Neither claimed through insurance. She later found out it goes down on your file that you have had an accident (regardless of pay out or not).

The fact you now have a recorded accident on file, expect your insurance premium to rise next year. As it is recorded on file, you would have to declare it to any other company you seek a quote from.

Insurance company have clarified that any notification is regarded as a claim - even though there is no claim! They are saying that this will not affect my premium next year but I dont trust them on this, and looks like it could stop me going to another company if they jack up their price - even though there was absolutely no payout on them. The rep at teh underwriter agreed that this is clearly not a claim, but nonetheless looks like the company reserves the right to define it as such.

Spoke to a broker and he was saying that if your no claims bonus is intact its not a claim, so there is a discrepancy between what the broker is saying and the underwriter.

Either way I'm getting onto the Ombudsman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Insurance company have clarified that any notification is regarded as a claim - even though there is no claim! They are saying that this will not affect my premium next year but I dont trust them on this, and looks like it could stop me going to another company if they jack up their price - even though there was absolutely no payout on them. The rep at teh underwriter agreed that this is clearly not a claim, but nonetheless looks like the company reserves the right to define it as such.

Spoke to a broker and he was saying that if your no claims bonus is intact its not a claim, so there is a discrepancy between what the broker is saying and the underwriter.

Either way I'm getting onto the Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman won't entertain you, unless you have exhausted all other options. You have only been speaking to your insurance provider and you are now in a "he said, she said" scenario. What you should do now is get written confirmation that just reporting an incident will no affect you NCB. That will make it difficult for them to ride you next year.

The Ombudsman won't entertain you, unless you have exhausted all other options. You have only been speaking to your insurance provider and you are now in a "he said, she said" scenario. What you should do now is get written confirmation that just reporting an incident will no affect you NCB. That will make it difficult for them to ride you next year.

Yes have reached that conclusion. I need to close down any question over any potential action and get NCB status in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Yes have reached that conclusion. I need to close down any question over any potential action and get NCB status in writing.

The insurers are covering themselves.

Just today I was looking at a policy.

The driver had a minor tip where he backed into a randomer.

It was all nicey nicey at the time, the other person said no nees to involve insurers, we will sort itniut ourselves.

6 weeks later two solicitors letters arrived in our claims department for soft tissue damage.

Alot of people are bastards and the thought of nice fat claim settlement turns otherwise "nice" people into money grubbing parasites.

Advertisement