Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book recommendations for 5 yo boy

Options
  • 19-12-2016 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭

As above, any suggestions. He's not reading himself yet, but I'd like to get him some books from santa.
    He has the full collection of ladybird books, and all the Julia Donaldson. We've read some of the lighter roald Dahl books too.

5 seems to be a bit of an in between age for books, I've never had this problem before!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

They're a bit old fashioned, but my two (4&6) love the 'Alfie' books, someone bought us a set one time and I had no meas on them, but they ate them up because they're about a five year old. Supertato is another favourite, The Tiger who came to Tea, Oliver Jeffers books are gorgeous and my personal favourite is The Day the Crayons Quit.

Don't discount non-fiction either - usborne first encyclopedias might go down well, I nearly had to fight the 6 year old to return the one on the human body to the library. There's one on dinosaurs coming from Santa.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The Day the Crayons quit is brilliant.
    All of my kids love - Where is my Cow by Terry Pratchett and Fortunately the Milk by Neil Gaiman
    I love them too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Great, thanks! I'll have a scout for some of these before the weekend!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Classics like "Where the Wild Things Are"by Maurice Sendak "The Story of Peter Rabbit" by Beatrix Potter, Dear Zoo" by Rod Campell“ and Goodnight Moon” by Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd would all be worth considering and of course “Father Christmas” by Raymond Briggs .

The "Hairy McClairy" books are great fun and that age-group love rhymes!
    http://www.hairymaclary.com/

Farmer Duck" and other books by Martin Waddell.
    "Hooray for Bread" and other books by Allan Ahlberg.

“Winnie the Witch” series by Valerie Thomas and Korky Paul.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My 5 year old loves Mr Men, and also loves Just William. We're doing the audiobook of Just William though, so I'm not sure would he like it as much if it were me reading it. Martin Jarvis does excellent voices.

He had one from school called Aliens Love Underpants which was very popular too.

• Advertisement

Toots wrote: »
    My 5 year old loves Mr Men, and also loves Just William. We're doing the audiobook of Just William though, so I'm not sure would he like it as much if it were me reading it. Martin Jarvis does excellent voices.

He had one from school called Aliens Love Underpants which was very popular too.

Yes! He has all the "underpants books" they're good fun. I thought he'd be a bit big for mr men for some reason. There was a box set of them in the book club in work a few weeks ago and I ignored them for that reason.

Classics like "Where the Wild Things Are"by Maurice Sendak "The Story of Peter Rabbit" by Beatrix Potter, Dear Zoo" by Rod Campell“ and Goodnight Moon” by Margaret Wise Brown and Clement Hurd would all be worth considering and of course “Father Christmas” by Raymond Briggs .

The "Hairy McClairy" books are great fun and that age-group love rhymes!
    http://www.hairymaclary.com/

Farmer Duck" and other books by Martin Waddell.
    "Hooray for Bread" and other books by Allan Ahlberg.

“Winnie the Witch” series by Valerie Thomas and Korky Paul.

I love rhymes myself actually! Possibly more than he does! I remember loving Allan ahlberg poems when I was in national school, I forgot to check out his books for younger kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

jlm29 wrote: »
    Yes! He has all the "underpants books" they're good fun. I thought he'd be a bit big for mr men for some reason. There was a box set of them in the book club in work a few weeks ago and I ignored them for that reason.
    My youngest loved his Mr men books. The language is quite advanced so there isnt a hope your lad will be able to tackle them alone but the stories are very funny.
    Oliver Jeffers books are divine. You could also look at the Helen Cooper stuff. She wrote A Pipkin of Pepper and some other similar books. My two also liked Captain Underpants and Horrid Henry.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

jlm29 wrote: »

They are never to big for Mr Men:) the 7 year old still reads them sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Feets

Andy ash. U can find it on facebook and order it. Boys and girls love it. I bought a rake of them for presents. Teaches kids that winning is good but u cant win all the time.

• Advertisement

Feets wrote: »
    Andy ash. U can find it on facebook and order it. Boys and girls love it. I bought a rake of them for presents. Teaches kids that winning is good but u cant win all the time.

Haha... a lesson he could really do with learning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Happy family series are an oldie but a goodie!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

My girls 4 and 8 both still love all the Mr. Men books.

My brother got my girls these books for Christmas, they look brilliant.

http://www.easons.com/p-3784351-irelandopedia.aspx

http://www.easons.com/p-4447215-historopedia.aspx

http://www.easons.com/p-4107516-naturama.aspx

I'm looking forward to looking through them myself!!

We do well in our house with the Daisy books from Kes Gray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Any Anthony Browne for the postmodern illustrations and edgy storylines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Richard Scarry books are fantastic - there's so much detail and the artwork is brilliant. I loved them as a kid and our wee girl is mad about Busytown. They show their age a bit in places but overall are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bollywoodisle

Iggy peck architect

The flum flum tree

We are going on a bear hunt

The flum flum tree

I love this one! In fact, I think I know it by heart! I ended up getting "fortunately the milk", some horrid Henry book, and one of the only risks Dahl books we didn't have! Thanks for the suggestions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is this for him to read himself, or for you to read to him?
    My 5 year old's favourite books at the moment to read herself are the Dr Seuss books. The Cat in the Hat, Hop on Pop, Green Eggs and Ham, one fish two fish etc. A box set of those were a birthday present from an auntie and she absolutely loves them. 
    If you are doing the reading aloud:
    Have you done all the fairy tales and nursery rhymes books? If so, then he might be ready for books with chapters? We've been doing those for a few months. I've just started into Roald Dahl on what I read as the bedtime story. We're a couple of chapters into the BFG at the moment. I love re-reading those. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My son who's nearly 5 loves the Book With No Pictures, it's very funny.

pwurple wrote: »
    Is this for him to read himself, or for you to read to him?
    My 5 year old's favourite books at the moment to read herself are the Dr Seuss books. The Cat in the Hat, Hop on Pop, Green Eggs and Ham, one fish two fish etc. A box set of those were a birthday present from an auntie and she absolutely loves them. 
    If you are doing the reading aloud:
    Have you done all the fairy tales and nursery rhymes books? If so, then he might be ready for books with chapters? We've been doing those for a few months. I've just started into Roald Dahl on what I read as the bedtime story. We're a couple of chapters into the BFG at the moment. I love re-reading those. :)

Thanks pwurple, I picked him up a few for Christmas. He's not reading by himself yet, so it was more for me to read to him. We've done some roald Dahl. I looked at the dr Seuss boxset before xmas, but didn't get it (I don't know why really!)
    He still likes picture books, etc, but I think I'm ready for something more stimulating!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ok, well if he's not into it yet, and you're trying to foster an interest... then kids that age love a bit of off-limits humour.
    This one, I bloody hate reading it because it's absolutely gross, but children of that age just love it. It's about a dinosaur that does a lot of stinky farts and uses poo-power to travel through time. 

Yikes Stinkysaurus

There's a Lion in my Cornflakes - two boys collect tokens from cereal boxes to get a real lion. Lion arrives...

The Disgusting Sandwich - It's about a sandwich that gets dropped in a sandpit and various revolting stuff gets stuck to it.

Advertisement