Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots...long or short?

• 20-12-2016 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Debating new booties....kinds thinking I might like short boots for a change.
    Anyone use them?.advantages \ disadvantages?
    My textiles have built in shin armour so that shouldn't be an issue?

Comments

Zipppy wrote: »
    Debating new booties....kinds thinking I might like short boots for a change.
    Anyone use them?.advantages \ disadvantages?
    My textiles have built in shin armour so that shouldn't be an issue?

Well what made up my mind when I was buying boots was my best mate arrived home from an mx race with his leg in a cage for months after being snapped in 2 with the bone half way out of his leg at the time :P

He did have full length but the bike landed on him just above where it ends, if the bike had landed 3 inches further down it probably wouldn't have happened. I think if you are going to buy boots you may aswell give yourself the best chance, if you have the short boots you are sacrificing alot of protection, i see no difference between short boots and steel cap boots someone would wear on a building site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Long boots, the more protection the better. Then again I am anal like that.....and no fixing posts saying I like anal ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Since I had to push the bandit in the flooding of 2011 (?not completely sure of the date here?), it's high and full goretex for me. :D

Joking aside, high are worth it for the extra protection, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I like anal ffs!

Made that too easy ffs lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Only hairdressers wear short boots....;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,129 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

if you have the short boots you are sacrificing a lot of protection, i see no difference between short boots and steel cap boots someone would wear on a building site.

Possible worse. My short leather boots have hard protection in only two places - right at the end of the toe box and one circle over each ankle. The ankle protection looks decent, the toe protection is fairly pathetic and there's really no shin protection at all, but TBH the whole boot is fairly flexible and it feels like it wouldn't provide much protection against crushing injuries.

OTOH it's much better than a shoe or walking boot.

In much the same way, my kevlar jeans have solid knee protection but nothing on the hips and my balls are just hanging there waiting to be ripped off. Where do you stop? Even with this fairly light protection I already feel like Robocop.

My hair is fantastic TBF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

get whatever you will wear. no point having big protective boots that you leave behind a few days a week because of comfort / not wanting to be walking around town like a robot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have 3 sets of boots, x2 are High and 1 set of TCX shortys with ankle sole and toe protection.

The TCX are for short trips warm summer riding when i may be doing some walking around.

If im spending longer on the bike its High Sidi's only.

I like my shins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I like anal! I take it up the arse!

Oh you country boys :P

listermint wrote: »
    I have 3 sets of boots, x2 are High and 1 set of TCX shortys with ankle sole and toe protection.

The TCX are for short trips warm summer riding when i may be doing some walking around.

I like my shins

Only short boots i wear in the summer have 18 holes ,black and have air-wear soles.....aging skinhead...only now its natural :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

i actually have a pair of dainese textile d dry trousers that wont zip up over my boots...only would with short boots...is that kinda mad?

Long boots, the more protection the better. Then again I am anal like that.....and no fixing posts saying I like anal ffs!

This post is useless without pictures..............:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

listermint wrote: »

I like my shins

What listermint said. I go for high boots at all times, unless I know I'm doing a short spin into Dublin city and gonna be walking around all day. Anything outside of that and I might do a bit of walking I'll lumber around in the high boots, or bring a pair a light pair of runners with me in the topbox/backpack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Like many, I have both long & short, but in reality wear the short ones most of the time. I spend a lot of time getting on/off the bike and or walking in them, so the shorter works for me.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

This post is useless without pictures..............:D

I knew you would like that......ya prevert! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 tsofitch

lol :P

And midgets/dwarfs/eleves just to be politically correct.

Advertisement