Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal comes to Derry City FC's rescue.

Options
  • 20-12-2016 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭

Now that Derry City are going to be playing their 'home' matches in Maginn Park in Buncrana, I though it deserved a thread in here. I reckon it's a good move as the matches will now be played on a Sunday afternoon rather than a Friday night as they were in the Brandywell. It should bring a lot of visitors to the town too :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Penfailed wrote: »
    Now that Derry City are going to be playing their 'home' matches in Maginn Park in Buncrana, I though it deserved a thread in here. I reckon it's a good move as the matches will now be played on a Sunday afternoon rather than a Friday night as they were in the Brandywell. It should bring a lot of visitors to the town too :)
    Is there really a need for a Derry city thread in the Donegal forum.
    Whatever about them playing out of Buncrana they are not representing anything to do with Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

martyo wrote: »
    Whatever about them playing out of Buncrana they are not representing anything to do with Donegal.

Derry city have had a load of Donegal footballers in their ranks over the years, including plenty in recent years.

As a Derry fan, who lives in donegal, I am curious about the move to buncrana. It's a great surface but not sure how it'll work out for us. I know plenty of Derry fans might not travel to watch games, but I'm sure as many locals might be tempted to come along and see what it's like. We have been entertaining to watch this past season, and have a very talented, young squad.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Derry city have had a load of Donegal footballers in their ranks over the years, including plenty in recent years.

As a Derry fan, who lives in donegal, I am curious about the move to buncrana. It's a great surface but not sure how it'll work out for us. I know plenty of Derry fans might not travel to watch games, but I'm sure as many locals might be tempted to come along and see what it's like. We have been entertaining to watch this past season, and have a very talented, young squad.
    I understand Derry have a lot of Donegal players playing with them but they still don't represent anything to do with Donegal, the club is renting the pitch in Buncrana it's still registered in a whole different jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Yes.

Last time I checked, Buncrana was in Donegal...:confused:
    NIMAN wrote: »

From what I can gather, they'll be laying on free buses for fans to travel so that's a bit of an incentive to come down.
    I understand Derry have a lot of Donegal players playing with them but they still don't represent anything to do with Donegal, the club is renting the pitch in Buncrana it's still registered in a whole different jurisdiction.

...yet they play in the League of Ireland along with Finn Harps.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Yes.

Last time I checked, Buncrana was in Donegal...:confused:

From what I can gather, they'll be laying on free buses for fans to travel so that's a bit of an incentive to come down.
    Just a quick edit is there really a need for this tread which you answered yes too,or is it a want.

...yet they play in the League of Ireland along with Finn Harps.
    Are you confused about about Buncrana being in Donegal? I think it's pretty clear unless Derry change name to include Buncrana that they are not representing anything to do with Donegal
    Yes Derry do play in the loi but they are in a whole different jurisdiction and I don't see what Finn harps have got to do with this.
    Derry city football club are playing in Donegal while there stadium gets renovated they are not moving to Buncrana long term so unless they rename the club Buncrana Derry city or something else I don't see why we should have a thread on the Donegal forum about a team from outside the county.

• Advertisement

Derry city football club are playing in Donegal

Bingo! That's all that is required for there to be a thread in this forum IMHO. In the run up to and whilst they play in Buncrana, there's every reason for a thread in here. I'll be going to see them play in Buncrana but I wouldn't go to see them in the Brandywell.

Bingo! That's all that is required for there to be a thread in this forum IMHO. In the run up to and whilst they play in Buncrana, there's every reason for a thread in here. I'll be going to see them play in Buncrana but I wouldn't go to see them in the Brandywell.
    So because you will be going to see Derry city play while they play "home" games in Buncrana you think it deserves a thread.
    IMHO there is nothing wrong with having a Derry city thread in the Derry forum, don't see why we should promote something from a totally different jurisdiction, in the Donegal forum

I don't see it as 'promotion'. It's a discussion. Does everything in this forum have to promote Donegal? The way I see it, this thread actually promotes Buncrana anyway.

I don't see it as 'promotion'. It's a discussion. Does everything in this forum have to promote Donegal? The way I see it, this thread actually promotes Buncrana anyway.
    But why the need to discuss a football team from Derry in a form for Donegal, the only thing that has changed about Derry is playing there home games in Buncrana, there are a lot more appropriate places to discuss Derry city than here.
    If by any chance Derry ever change there address to co Donegal then I would have no objection to starting this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Not if the Derry tradition of stoning supporters buses continues ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

overshoot wrote: »
    Not if the Derry tradition of stoning supporters buses continues ;)

Derry city or their fans have never stoned supporters buses.

Scumbags and toerags around the area have. It's a completely different, separate thing.

its an issue Derry City FC aren't addressing, surely safety during match days is relevant to the thread ;)
    anyway Derry brought enough scumbags to Finn Park the first game last year to give their supporters a clean slate

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Derry fan who grew up Lisfannon myself. Not chuffed with Sunday matches but it'll do. Would wonder how the the town will cope if the guts of 1000 fans are out for a few drinks before the bigger matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

overshoot wrote: »
    anyway Derry brought enough scumbags to Finn Park the first game last year to give their supporters a clean slate
    No more comments like this please.

Edit/ thread title changed to something more acceptable :)

in my defense I didnt introduce the word! Although surely the actions of an element of Derry fans in Donegal (or in derry - although good to see action was taken) this year is relevant to them playing in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thread locked when we get into this type of discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement