Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making a plug in light

Options
  • 20-12-2016 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

I have a spare double flouresecnt light here with a few years now. I was half thinking of making a plug in light from it and attaching it to a stand on wheels.

Basically I want to be able to plug it in, and be able to move it about like the light below. Is it just a case of using 3 core wire to a 3 pin plug and attaching the other side onto the fluresecent light?
    017398801768.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

If you move a florescent light when its hot and it gets anything related to a knock you might want to carry a flashlight with you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

mengele wrote: »
    Is it just a case of using 3 core wire to a 3 pin plug and attaching the other side onto the fluresecent light?
    Yes, that would work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

mengele wrote: »
    I have a spare double flouresecnt light here with a few years now. I was half thinking of making a plug in light from it and attaching it to a stand on wheels.

Basically I want to be able to plug it in, and be able to move it about like the light below. Is it just a case of using 3 core wire to a 3 pin plug and attaching the other side onto the fluresecent light?
    017398801768.jpg

To answer your question..Yes it will work. But to be honest unless it is a sealed double fluorescent I don't think it is worth the hassle. They are not designed to be portable and can easily break if knocked against something or if the stand was to fall over.

A broken fluorescent tube can actually be quite dangerous and is classified as hazardous waste so that would be another reason not to bother with this idea. Have a read of this:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Why-are-Fluorescent-Light-Bulbs-Dangerous-83131.shtml

Advertisement