Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad won't release from previous users account

Options
  • 20-12-2016 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been given an iPad in work used by a former colleague. The colleague claimed that had done a full reset on the device.

When the device is turned on I have the standard 'Hola' screen and it says 'slide to setup'.. but then it's asking for a passcode.

The user is absolutely insistent they did a full reset before leaving. Last night she sent me an email saying when she logged onto her apple account she was surprised to see the iPad still there. However, she then manually removed the device from her account and expected it to be blank this morning (the device has a 3G sim in it).

But still nothing. The device is still locked and asking for a passcode. Which she doesn't remember. At least that's what she says. I suspect she's afraid that if I enter her passcode her full account/emails/messages will be visible on the device before I then blank it (she's the paranoid sort).

And now she has no visibility of the device on her account to take any further action.

Any advice on what to do here? The former user is absolutely insistent that she has removed the device from her account.

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

onnect the iPad to the computer while holding down the "Home" button to turn on the iPad.

Release the "Home" button when you see a message that says, "Connect to iTunes."

Launch iTunes. iTunes will alert you that it detects a device in Recovery Mode.

Once its not locked to her account anymore the above should work, If she has it locked with find my ipad she will need to loginto that and remove it otherwise the device is a brick(baring methods that are legally questionable)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

onnect the iPad to the computer while holding down the "Home" button to turn on the iPad.

Release the "Home" button when you see a message that says, "Connect to iTunes."

Once its not locked to her account anymore the above should work, If she has it locked with find my ipad she will need to loginto that and remove it otherwise the device is a brick(baring methods that are legally questionable)

Seconded. My guess is that Find My iPad is the key thing in this case. Even a "reset" by the previous owner won't fully unlock the device for another user unless Find My iPad is turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thanks Lads, that worked.

Device finally fully reset and I've logged into it with my account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Seconded. My guess is that Find My iPad is the key thing in this case. Even a "reset" by the previous owner won't fully unlock the device for another user unless Find My iPad is turned off.

If it was looking for a passcode rather than a password for iCloud then I'd be inclined to think they didn't erase it all. Maybe they reset settings instead of reset and erase?

Also I don't think you can't erase an iOS device via Settings without disabling Find My iPhone first. Usually an Activation Locked device means it was erased via DFU mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

If it was looking for a passcode rather than a password for iCloud then I'd be inclined to think they didn't erase it all. Maybe they reset settings instead of reset and erase?

Also I don't think you can't erase an iOS device via Settings without disabling Find My iPhone first. Usually an Activation Locked device means it was erased via DFU mode.

I'm not sure what she did. She absolutely insisted she did a full reset (she did with her iPhone) but dunno what she did to the iPad.

Only when she deleted it for her account was i able to get it into recovery mode.

To be honest - manually deleting the device from the Apple account was new to me. I've sold a good few apple devices down through the years and did nothing more than full resets on the device!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

quad_red wrote: »
    I'm not sure what she did. She absolutely insisted she did a full reset (she did with her iPhone) but dunno what she did to the iPad.

Only when she deleted it for her account was i able to get it into recovery mode.

To be honest - manually deleting the device from the Apple account was new to me. I've sold a good few apple devices down through the years and did nothing more than full resets on the device!

And usually that's enough. When you go to reset it prompts you disable Activation Lock. Having to remove it from your account is really only necessary if the device has been forcibly erased.

Advertisement