Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to never updated "Jelly SMS"

Options
  • 20-12-2016 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Jelly SMS for iPhone hasn't been updated since summer 2014 and I use it for texts for emergency which means I save €10 a month on my plan, opting for web and calls only. The app was always buggy. But lately it's become a mess. Anyone know of a better third party app equivalent where I can send Meteor or other Irish network SMS messages with resorting to the labourious web browser. The My Meteor app is broken too for web texts and it looks like Meteor have no intention of getting around to fixing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Seriously, who sends texts in the age of What's App, iMessage and Messenger.

I genuinely can't remember the last time I sent an SMS.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭irelandjnr

murpho999 wrote: »

I genuinely can't remember the last time I sent an SMS.

I have a few oldie relations without smartphones.

Ok.

I'm on meteor myself and just used the My Meteor app to send a webtext. Worked fine.

Ok.

I'm on meteor myself and just used the My Meteor app to send a webtext. Worked fine.

What OS are you using?

iOS 10.2

• Advertisement

iOS 10.2

Also, about wanting text for emergency. I know of three people lately who've quit Facebook and one who went back to old candy bar phone for a quieter less stressful life.

I've restarted my SE (I'm on 10.2) and deleted and reinstalled My Meteor app and it still won't work right for me. Logged in it asks me to register to send web texts every time—and I have, but still asks:

http://i.imgur.com/3oTkPs7.jpg

Besides, it's a **** app anyway. I would like something nice and clean for sending web texts. Something like iMessage on iOS 9. JellySMS has always been bug-ridden, but now it barely works and always freezes and won't send until I go right up the hierarchy and tap back into my account and the specific conversation I'm after for every little message I send.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

irelandjnr wrote: »
    Also, about wanting text for emergency. I know of three people lately who've quit Facebook and one who went back to old candy bar phone for a quieter less stressful life.

I've restarted my SE (I'm on 10.2) and deleted and reinstalled My Meteor app and it still won't work right for me. Logged in it asks me to register to send web texts every time—and I have, but still asks:

http://i.imgur.com/3oTkPs7.jpg

Besides, it's a **** app anyway. I would like something nice and clean for sending web texts. Something like iMessage on iOS 9. JellySMS has always been bug-ridden, but now it barely works and always freezes and won't send until I go right up the hierarchy and tap back into my account and the specific conversation I'm after for every little message I send.

Save the website as a screen icon and just click that each time. No need to go through the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just send a normal SMS, pretty much all carriers offer unlimited SMS texts now for those in your life that choose the luddite lifestyle.

Also if it's an emergency are you really going to miss whatever your carrier calls you for a single text?

"**** I can't send this text about someone being rushed to hospital because it's going to cost me 20c" :rolleyes:

Just send a normal SMS, pretty much all carriers offer unlimited SMS texts now for those in your life that choose the luddite lifestyle.

Also if it's an emergency are you really going to miss whatever your carrier calls you for a single text?

"**** I can't send this text about someone being rushed to hospital because it's going to cost me 20c" :rolleyes:

I'd spend perhaps a Euro daily and I'd rather save that 365 per year.

I think you should either get texts on your package or contact meteor about the app as I'd say there is something wrong with your registration set up as the app is working fine.

What package are you on with Meteor anyhow, as every plan I see on their website contains unlimited texts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you are on the wrong plan then buddy

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I just tried the my meteor app webtexts and its working fine also. Im on 10.2.1(beta)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I would strongly recommend against using webtexts in an emergency. The networks' sites are notoriously buggy and unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Most alpha males. Apart from iMessage I can honestly say I don't know any man who uses WhatsApp or Messenger to send a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

"**** I can't send this text about someone being rushed to hospital because it's going to cost me 20c"

Are you a writer for Fair City?!:P:pac:

naasrd wrote: »
    Most alpha males. Apart from iMessage I can honestly say I don't know any man who uses WhatsApp or Messenger to send a message.

This is a p1ss take isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Whatsapp has over a billion monthly users and Messenger has over 800 million users.... I'd say a few men use both of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Hunter Mahan

Jelly SMS for iPhone hasn't been updated since summer 2014 and I use it for texts for emergency which means I save €10 a month on my plan, opting for web and calls only. The app was always buggy. But lately it's become a mess. Anyone know of a better third party app equivalent where I can send Meteor or other Irish network SMS messages with resorting to the labourious web browser. The My Meteor app is broken too for web texts and it looks like Meteor have no intention of getting around to fixing.

The developer of Jelly is usually very responsive to any problems I've ever had with the app. Why don't you fire him an email...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Mr.S wrote: »
    Haha what!

You must know hermits.

Over 50% of people in Ireland over 15 use whatsapp or messenger ;)

Good lad. Always wondered what the percentage of muppets in Ireland were. And you even used an emoji. Bless...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I might take offence at this if i wasn't so busy being an Alpha male, texting all my other Alpha male friends on WhatsApp about how ridiculous you are coming off here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement