Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared tenancy finished - roommate does not return deposit and is disappeared

Options
  • 20-12-2016 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Some time ago I started renting a room (found via daft) in an apartment where there was a lady living. Manager-level professional in a known company, no reason to have trust issues at all. I was not part of the contract, and paid her a 550€ deposit and the first month.
    Months pass, and she moves out to a new, bigger house, whose address I don't know (only the area). So I need to move out as well.
    We agree that she will send me the deposit via a bank transfer. That was more than one month ago and the last time I have heard from her at all.
    As she is married with kids and surely busy, I have always waited 3 or 4 days between communications. In that time I have tried to call her a number of times, left voicemail, sent her some emails, some WhatsApp messages (where I think she may have blocked me now). No response whatsoever. As days pass I am becoming more nervous, and the last couple of days I am trying to call her several times per day. I have not been able to speak with her, and half of the attempts I am directed to voicemail after 4 tones or immediately.
    I have no lease contract, nor receipt of the deposit. I don't know her new address. I only know her name (very common Irish name), her husband's, where she works (though she often works remotely from outside Ireland) and her LinkedIn profile. And of course, where she has lived for the last few years and where she was registered with Revenue and utility companies.
    What are my options? Should I just give her some slack? I have never had issues with her before and she is in a high-level position in her company, she is surely busy. But why has she not responded at all on the last month? It takes a few seconds to reply to an email or WhatsApp. Should I lawyer up? I am afraid the lawyer expenses will be high, and I don't have solid proof of the money I gave her. Maybe some emails and the original daft ad, but it would be mostly her word against mine plus some emails. Even the original daft ad is gone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Contact the Landlord and ask him did he return the deposit for starters.

You shouldnt have moved out until you were paid.

Congratulations. You have paid €550 for that life lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adlerhn

I don't know the landlord; I never talked directly to him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Well,

Live and learn. Next time get put on the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Who are you paying rent to? If it's to the LL's bank account, you could call the RTB and explain, if the tennancy was registered they may pass the message on to them to contact you? Worth a shot, the LL my also have a second contat address. You also may be able to strike a deal to take over the tennancy and find somebody to share with, what have you got to lose by trying.

If you have here Linked in profile I'd send her one more message on that and just say if she doesn't contact you by end of the week you'll take things further, including contacting her employer.

I always paid directly to her own account via bank transfer (other than the deposit that was paid in cash).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You're ****ed. You've nothing to say you paid a deposit, sounds like you were a licensee rather than a tenant.

Take it as a lesson learned, but I'd say you're wasting your time following it up via phone, you'll need to confront her directly to have any hope. But it's her word against yours really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

adlerhn wrote: »
    Manager-level professional in a known company, no reason to have trust issues at all.

As other options have failed, I'd try and contact her at her place of work. If you can't speak to her directly, ask someone to pass on a message asking her to contact you urgently (without going into the specifics).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I'd imagine she's no intention of getting back to you. I'd send her one last message telling her you'll call to her workplace next week to pick up your deposit. People hate that! The idea you're gonna hound her at might show her you're not gonna leave it and force her hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

adlerhn wrote: »
    I always paid directly to her own account via bank transfer (other than the deposit that was paid in cash).

Small claims court, you will need to find out the contact details yourself though. You obviously have her work place, you might be able to have her served notice there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

I know you said you haven't talked to the landlord but have you any contact details for the landlord at all? There must be some way to find out, through the RTB oe something.

If so, send a text like 'A package arrived for (name of your exhousemate) after she moved out and I still have it, do you have her new address?'

If you end up having to go to her workplace, bring another person with you as a witness and stay calm. If anything kicks off (ie: she claims you are harassing or stalking her) it is a lot better to not be on your own.

But like most people have said, it's an expensive lesson and many (myself included) have been screwed over by snakes when they start out renting. Never assume 'ah it'll be grand' when renting and house sharing even if they're supposed to be your friend.

• Advertisement

Update: In the end I did get the deposit back, around 5 months later than promised. Plus, a life lesson learnt.

Thanks all for your responses and advice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Glad to hear it eventually worked out for you OP.
    Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement