Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pat testers

Options
  • 20-12-2016 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Any sparks out there using these. Much work for them. Any money to be made? Used to do a bit in UK. Mind numbing though but if there was a few pound in it....

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not sure, I only use mine the odd time for control panels I build - as a backup, it works fine but the calibration is expired.

Anything with electronics in drives it nuts on the earth leakage, which is most things nowadays....

Having said that, I haven't heard of anyone looking for PATing in a good few years.

It's not a legal requirement in Éire. Electronics don't usually like 600VAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

It's not a legal requirement in Éire. Electronics don't usually like 600VAC.

As far as I am aware there is more of a legal requirement here in Ireland than in the UK, (section 30 of the 2007 health and safety act?)
    (b) in the case of work equipment which is exposed to conditions causing deterioration liable to result in a danger to safety or health—

(i) periodic inspections and, where appropriate, testing is carried out,

(ii) special inspections are carried out when exceptional circumstances arise which are liable to make the work equipment unsafe, including modification work, accidents, natural phenomena or prolonged inactivity, and

(iii) deterioration is detected and remedied in good time,

For insurance porpoises AFAIK not legal ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

For insurance porpoises AFAIK not legal ones.

AFAIK S.I. No. 299 of 2007 Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007, is a legal document.

Admittedly it only applies to workplaces.

In the UK PAT is driven by the insurance companies, that is why it's more commonplace, whereas here it is only a legal requirement and probably only highlighted after a visit from the H.S.A.

• Advertisement

I rarely see kit with a valid pat sticker and the excuse is always it's advisory. Those out of date stickers are often done by someone who didn't take the course. I'm not disagreeing...just surprised if that's the truth of the matter..carry on..

I often wonder why H&S is called health and safety...it's all about the safety...last time I was told to get down a ladder by a H&S officer I asked him if he had a banana for me and he thought I was joking...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

last time I was told to get down a ladder by a H&S officer I asked him if he had a banana for me and he thought I was joking...

LOL, that just made my week :D

Advertisement