Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How would you rate the quality of life in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

snotboogie wrote: »
    Just for pig iron I put in the minimum wage in Guangdong province, (where the infamous foxconn plant is based) which is 1,895RMB a month or 22,740 RMB a year. This wage would be paid to the most menial of factory workers. This puts the worker in the top 21% of the richest people in the world. I assume you would also turn around to them and tell them "Put in your salary. Be grateful for what you read"

What an incredibly stupid assumption. You could read this thread and see why I wouldn't say that.

But please don't let me stop you from joining the others in complaining about the rain, and how impossible it is to do outdoors activities, ignoring the tens of thousands of us who do this every weekend in this beautiful country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

No equality across many spectres. So it's a ****hole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

vicwatson wrote: »

Leave then, if you haven't gone already.

Ireland isn't a sh1thole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

vicwatson wrote: »

Not enough equality for ghosts?

I think what Irish people get for their very high taxes is poor value for money. The level of waste in some public bodies is studiously ignored and people pay the price in other ways for that. Property in major urban areas is highly priced, infrastructure is below the average in developed countries. Education, though 'free', needs improvement in many areas. If you work in a particularly specialized area, you have to leave. It's easy to be a big fish in a small pond, so the opportunity to reach the top of many careers is pretty good - because it's much more difficult to be a small fish in a big pond and rise to the top in a larger and more populous country. Irish food is good, Irish cuisine - not so much. The arts scene in Ireland is very small (to an outsider), and entertainment options that don't revolve around drinking are limited. Recreational sports etc suffer from poor facilities, and those that are available exclude all but the better off, as most things are expensive.

On the other hand, Irish people are friendly and likeable, the weather doesn't present much in the way of danger, heathcare is free (if needing much improvement), and it's relatively safe. The size of the country fosters a community feel, and families tend to be close (probably because they can't get too far away from each other!).

On a global scale, it's a great place to live. Relative to other developed countries, I guess it's a question of preferences.

PS: We're calling poor people in developing countries 'peasants' now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I would rate it: Mehh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

I have visited some right dumps that pass as countries over the years. And some great ones. We have it good compared to most countries.

But there is a lot of tax money wasted and some aspects of our culture that drive me mad.
    And we are the best in the world for giving out.

But I still love it here and always come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Candie wrote: »
    the weather doesn't present much in the way of danger
    Relative to other developed coun.tries, I guess it's a question of preferences.

As you said, it is a question of preferences. I found that the dreary weather in Ireland severely affected my mental health. A move to a place that has blue skies about 80% of the time made an incredible difference to me.

I honestly think that the Irish weather contributes to the high suicide rate. The sight of the sun for me is worth anything, it does not have to be warm, just bright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

This isn't a thread about Ireland's problems. Every country has their own problems. People often speak about Ireland as if there is some magical utopia in existence somewhere were every aspect of the state and society operates flawlessly that we should be taking example from.

Where is this place? Is it the US? Is it the UK? Is it Germany? Or, as I suspect, it is a fine, blinkered blend of the best aspects of various countries mashed together in a make believe narnia used as a stick to beat Ireland with?

Someone people would have you believe that Ireland is a struggling third world nation, with the world's most corrupt politicians, the most brutal police force, a healthcare system on par with North Korea, terrible infrastructure and the highest taxes in the world.

Those people that always have to take Ireland to the extremes make me laugh really, because they live a sad, blinkered existence where nothing could ever be good enough.

Quality of life in Ireland is very good. It doesn't mean we don't have problems and people are right to raise them, but it doesn't make the statement untrue for most people - arguing otherwise is just a chip on the shoulder to some degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ireland generally has a very good quality of life. It's one of the few countries that doesn't have massive extremes in any area of life - we have a relatively small rich/poor divide, a good work/life balance, never too hot or too cold, very few weather extremes. On the expensive side but not insanely so. No far left or far right politicians with any influence. No dangerous flora or fauna. Not a lot of crime and without a draconian justice system. No massive problems with racism or ghettoisation. Low levels of corruption. Moderate levels of tax and government waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Candie wrote: »
    I think what Irish people get for their very high taxes is poor value for money. The level of waste in some public bodies is studiously ignored and people pay the price in other ways for that. Property in major urban areas is highly priced, infrastructure is below the average in developed countries. Education, though 'free', needs improvement in many areas. If you work in a particularly specialized area, you have to leave. It's easy to be a big fish in a small pond, so the opportunity to reach the top of many careers is pretty good - because it's much more difficult to be a small fish in a big pond and rise to the top in a larger and more populous country. Irish food is good, Irish cuisine - not so much. The arts scene in Ireland is very small (to an outsider), and entertainment options that don't revolve around drinking are limited. Recreational sports etc suffer from poor facilities, and those that are available exclude all but the better off, as most things are expensive.

On the other hand, Irish people are friendly and likeable, the weather doesn't present much in the way of danger, heathcare is free (if needing much improvement), and it's relatively safe. The size of the country fosters a community feel, and families tend to be close (probably because they can't get too far away from each other!).

On a global scale, it's a great place to live. Relative to other developed countries, I guess it's a question of preferences.

PS: We're calling poor people in developing countries 'peasants' now?

Healthcare is free if you're not working, it certainly isn't if you are a working taxpayer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I honestly think that the Irish weather contributes to the high suicide rate.

I doubt it is the weather. Guyana has the highest rate of suicides in the world and the weather there is pretty good. Sri Lanka and Suriname are in the top 5 too. So, there is a lot more than just crap weather behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Cina wrote: »
    People on the dole in our country get more money a month than 70% of the planet do in a year.
    70% of the planet don't pay the same prices for goods and services as people in Ireland do. The world is unequal. And so is Ireland. Let's not pretend or perpetuate the myth that those on the dole are living lives of luxury in Ireland.
    seamus wrote: »
    Low levels of corruption.
    Corruption is institutionalised in Ireland; the legal and insurance industries for example.

70% of the planet don't pay the same prices for goods and services as people in Ireland do. The world is unequal. And so is Ireland. Let's not pretend or perpetuate the myth that those on the dole are living lives of luxury in Ireland.

Even accounting for purchasing power parity (that's what you meant to say), the difference is still huge. Let's not pretend or perpetuate the myth that those getting free money, education and medical expenses are somehow on par with the TRULY impoverished in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Saipanne wrote: »
    Let's not pretend or perpetuate the myth that those getting free money, education and medical expenses are somehow on par with the TRULY impoverished in the world.
    Nobody is doing that. Why would anyone do that? However, people in this thread are trying to say the opposite, that those on the dole have a great life relative to those in third world countries. Both are false comparisons. Both are pretty much meaningless. The difference? Only one comparison is being made by people i.e. the dole heads have it great compared to 70% of the world. But you already knew all of that that.

Nobody is doing that. Why would anyone do that? However, people in this thread are trying to say the opposite, that those on the dole have a great life relative to those in third world countries. Both are false comparisons. Both are pretty much meaningless. The difference? Only one comparison is being made by people i.e. the dole heads have it great compared to 70% of the world. But you already knew all of that that.

I suppose the point is that even the worst off in Ireland (excl drug addicts/etc for a moment, that is hell no matter where you live) have it better than the vast majority of the human race.

And yet we have people making moronic claims by saying Ireland is an awful place to live.

It isn't. There are actual, truly awful places to live in the world. Most of the human race live there.

That is why I refer to them. Not because people criticise Ireland, but because they make it out like Ireland is hell. Ireland has to be one of the top 10% of places to live. To be born here is to win the lottery, relatively speaking.

Anyone who denies that, is simply not in touch with reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Utter bollocks. You are simply comparing us to some peasants in Uganda.

And peasants in Namibia. And peasants in Thailand. And peasants in Peru. And peasants in India. And peasants everywhere, because the thing is most of the world are living peasants lives compared to the life we live here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

And as many people pointed out, it is a very good place to live and every Irish citizen should feel privileged to live here. Though there are some problems, not major ones, but theyre not minor either. I think some aspects of education system could be improved upon and obviously public transport and healthcare and both poorly run.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

No premiership team that wants to stay there says ah sure we're good enough in some areas, and we get good enough results.

We need to focus on any areas that need improvement, and keep working at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Deedsie wrote: »
    People complaining about the weather in Ireland are being ridiculous.

Irish people have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world we are blessed with the climate we have. Cloudless skies 3 months of the year would be a health hazard here.

A massive amount of our economy is based on the agri food industry. Our climate makes Ireland the perfect country for various farm practices.

Professor John Crown highlighted last week on the radio that Irish people who emigrate to hotter climates are at a significantly higher danger of developing skin cancer. The sun doesn't suit us.

People in Ireland have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world precisely BECAUSE of the climate you have. The tendency to run out and burn yourself as soon as you see a very infrequent ray of sun, and the habit of taking two weeks to bake yourself in the sun on a yearly basis are the cause of the high frequency of skin cancer among Irish people. Unused to the sun, unable to deal with it like adults.

Skommando wrote: »
    No premiership team that wants to stay there says ah sure we're good enough in some areas, and we get good enough results.

We need to focus on any areas that need improvement, and keep working at them.

No mid table premiership team thinks that they are completely sh1t in every way.

Saipanne wrote: »
    No mid table premiership team thinks that they are completely sh1t in every way.

nor tries to pretend what wasn't said was

Deedsie wrote: »
    Of course, that goes without saying. Loads of areas we can improve, doesn't mean the majority of Irish people don't already have a relatively privileged lifestyle.

Privileged compared to who ? do you mean like with like with our actual competitors in Western Europe ?
    Do you think a professional athlete aims to raise the bar, or lower it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

The question is "How would you rate the quality of life in Ireland?"

To me, quality of life refers to availability of clean drinking water and a variety of nutritious foods in sufficient quantities, it refers to accessibility of education and healthcare, work and a living wage and reasonable working conditions, electricity, hot water, transport, minimal risk of violence, no war, no famine, being able to voice our views on the government, state supports for people who need them.

In Ireland, people's concerns can be whether there's anything good on Netflix ffs (and that's great isn't it?)

So in terms of quality of life, it is high in Ireland. If the question were "Is Ireland the best place to live in the world?" well that's a different discussion.

Flimpson wrote: »
    To me, quality of life refers to availability of clean drinking water and a variety of nutritious foods in sufficient quantities, it refers to accessibility of education and healthcare, work and a living wage and reasonable working conditions, electricity, hot water, transport, minimal risk of violence, no war, no famine, being able to voice our views on the government.

All of things need care and maintenance , and without continued vigilance and hard work, significant threats to all of them are possible, with the possible exception of widespread famine.
    Flimpson wrote: »
    In Ireland, people's concerns can be whether there's anything good on Netflix ffs (and that's great isn't it?)

For you and the comfy maybe, it's let them eat cake, but do you really think that's the concern of the unacceptably high number of Irish citizens who are lying on trolley's in A&E's or have to sleep outside tonight on the streets ? Or the people trying to help and care for them, or those carers fighting against the odds every day ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

For you and the comfy maybe, it's let them eat cake, but do you really think that's the concern of the unacceptably high number of Irish citizens who are lying on trolley's in A&E's or have to sleep outside tonight on the streets ? Or the people trying to help and care for them, or those carers fighting against the odds every day ?

We have a much lower rate of people sleeping outside compared to other countries. We are all disgusted that someone would be homeless and we can all agree that one is one to many. The title asks 'how would you rate the quality of life in Ireland?'. .o do so fairly means you have to fairly compare it to other countries as that is what Ireland is.

I think taking over Apollo House is a wonderful symbolic act and indeed the best tribute to 1916 that this centenary year has seen, it's very appropriate. But the fact is in the city tonight, most people actually sleeping out of doors are addicts who are hard to house. That's not homelessness. That's a drug problem. The reason they 'have' to sleep outside is more complex than them not being provided a bed.

darlett wrote: »
    We have a much lower rate of people sleeping outside compared to other countries.

Compared to what countries ? What countries should Ireland be comparing themselves with ? Third world ones, or Western European ones ?

It's bad enough, that even the government and public servants have found the honesty to admit Ireland has a homeless crisis.

Compared to what countries ? What countries should Ireland be comparing themselves with ? Third world ones, or Western European ones ?

It's bad enough, that even the government and public servants have found the honesty to admit Ireland has a homeless crisis.

Up to you. Go ahead and pick them and rate us. Lets see what our betters do and where we should look to improve. Countries you've experienced or know something about. I've spent a good amount of time in USA, Australia, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. A mixed bag. But all with worse levels of homelessness. I really haven't spent much more than a few odd days in other Western European countries to speak an informed opinion/

Up to you. Go ahead and pick them and rate us. Lets see what our betters do and where we should look to improve. Countries you've experienced or know something about. I've spent a good amount of time in USA, Australia, Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. A mixed bag. But all with worse levels of homelessness. I really haven't spent much more than a few odd days in other Western European countries to speak an informed opinion/

So even the government, politicians, civil servants and media, who've managed to find the honesty to acknowledged the crisis, are in fact all lying and we don't have a homeless and affordable accomodation crisis ?

Can you imagine if some gombeen politican came out and tried to say compared to Mozambique we don't have any homeless problem here ?

Do you really think that's an acceptable political excuse for it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

No plants or animals liable to kill you. No earthquakes, no hurricanes, no tornados. No deserts, no glaciers, just hundreds of square miles of beautiful greenery. No overpopulation or underpopulation (we have exactly the same population density as the rest of the earth!), no serious pollution, no serious risk of famine or war, the sea and multiple borders separating us from every conflict zone. A stable, long-lived democracy, free healthcare, education and one of the most generous welfare systems there is.

It's paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

All of things need care and maintenance , and without continued vigilance and hard work, significant threats to all of them are possible, with the possible exception of widespread famine.

I think it's representative of the average person. It's a different story for people on the margins of any society. A bit of a horrible expression but accurate. Although, anyone can find themselves the victim of a field hospital style overcrowded A and E dept.

I think it's representative of the average person. It's a different story for people on the margins of any society. A bit of a horrible expression but accurate. Although, anyone can find themselves the victim of a field hospital style overcrowded A and E dept.

Do you really believe only those on the 'margins of society' are lying on trolleys in A&E for example ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Do you really believe only those on the 'margins of society' are lying on trolleys in A&E for example ?

I just edited my comment, probably at the same time as your post..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Truth. Unfortunately under no circumstances is Irelands health system better than New Zealand's, having the misfortune to require th use of both. Lights years ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

snotboogie wrote: »
    We get too smug in these threads comparing ourselves to third world countries. We have a high cost of living (Dublin sits at the top of European rental prices in between London and Paris), poor public services, drastically outdated infrastructure and low wages. That gives most people a lack of disposable income and forces them into long commutes. Our climate isn't great, the no natural disasters is a complete farce as we have had numerous serious floods in the last decade, not a high death toll (was there any?) but how many people die from natural disasters in the western world every year? It's hardly much of a brag. At the end of the day we have a climate that at best makes outdoor activity uncomfortable and at worst impossible for most of the year. Compare that to France where a huge portion of the population can spend 3 months on the beach every year.

The weather here really isn't that bad. We get some rain but in reality it's pretty decent. We get long dry spells and decent sun. Although listening to some people you'd swear we live in monsoon conditions all year round. Dublin sits at the same latitude as Calgary and Moscow, yet has nowhere near the extremes you'd find in those places. As for outdoor activities ranging from uncomfortable to impossible, now that's just pure nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

It can't be too bad when Brian O' Driscoll and Amy Huberman are buying a fixer upper for €2,000,000 in Rathmines.The house has no heating system.Things are boomy baby.

So even the government, politicians, civil servants and media, who've managed to find the honesty to acknowledged the crisis, are in fact all lying and we don't have a homeless and affordable accomodation crisis ?

Can you imagine if some gombeen politican came out and tried to say compared to Mozambique we don't have any homeless problem here ?

Do you really think that's an acceptable political excuse for it ?

I've invited you to compare us to any country doing it better than us that we can learn from and you come back with politics. Mozambique? No, I never mentioned that. Stop deflecting. I mentioned countries I was familiar with (USA, Australia, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia) as it's too important a topic to pull facts out of ones hole. If Mozambique is your chosen knowledge go ahead and enlighten us because either way I know nothing of the homeless situation there. If it's western European countries, go at that.

• Advertisement

I've invited you to compare us to any country doing it better than us that we can learn from and you come back with politics. Mozambique? No, I never mentioned that. Stop deflecting. I mentioned countries I was familiar with as it's too important a topic to pull facts out of ones hole. If Mozambique is your chosen knowledge go ahead and enlighten us because either way I know nothing of the homeless situation there. If it's western European countries, go at that.

you were the one that said compared to some countries, and you still can't even offer one ?

again, I'll ask you , even the government and public service admit there is a homeless crisis in Ireland, are they lying ?

you were the one that said compared to some countries, and you still can't even offer one ?

again, I'll ask you , even the government and public service admit there is a homeless crisis in Ireland, are they lying ?

I offered 5.

If your are rating life in Ireland you need to compare it somewhere. If you want to rate to some place which does not exist that's different but please clarify this.

This isn't about rating homelessness. Homelessness rates bad. But we have less of it than the countries I said. For the third time I'll ask you to tell us about countries who rate better. I'm not saying there are none, I'm asking you to tell us what we can learn from the ones you know and their examples.

And to your question, yes, they are lying without taking it the emotive winning point that even one homeless person is a crisis for a country which should look after every one of her citizens. They would become even more unpopular if they were to argue publicly with Messrs Hansard and Hozier and unpopularity leads to unemployment for politicians and public servants. Please don't let this bombshell prevent you from answering mine about things we could copy from other countries to improve the homeless situation here.

I offered 5.

If your are rating life in Ireland you need to compare it somewhere.

This isn't about rating homelessness. Homelessness rates bad. But we have less of it than the countries I said. For the third time I'll ask you to tell us about countries who rate better. I'm not saying there are none, I'm asking you to tell us what we can learn from the ones you know and their examples.

And to your question, yes, they are lying without taking it the emotive winning point that even one homeless person is a crisis for a country which should look after every one of her citizens. They would become even more unpopular if they were to argue publicly with Messrs Hansard and Hozier and unpopularity leads to unemployment for politicians and public servants. Please don't let this bombshell prevent you from answering mine about things we could copy from other countries to improve the homeless situation here.

What's there actual homeless rates compared to Ireland ?

and why, according to you, are the government, politicians and civil servants in Ireland lying when they say there is a homeless crisis ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Mediocre.

We pretty much define the word "mediocrity".

Even on these forums you can pick up on it very quickly.
    Anyone who dares to ask for a bit more from life gets lambasted with lazy phrases like "entitlement".
    I never saw that word mentioned so much in all my life until I joined boards, it's everywhere.
    Got to the stage where I hate the phrase. And that's without it ever being aimed at me specifically (someone will do it now of course) but it's right up there with "snowflake" and "3rd world problems" on my hate list.
    You demand a bit more from life here and you're an entitled snowflake with 3rd world problems.

On the other hand.... It's not quite the sheer pits that others suggest and yes when you're quantifying a standard of living in a nation it will inevitably draw comparisons to countries who have serious problems like basics such as running water, transport, electricity etc so we're certainly not anywhere remotely close to being in an unfortunate nation to live in overall. And yes we should be thankful for that.

There are lots of people and families out there on huge salaries and lots of others living on social welfare.

But I think what really gets on people's wicks is that the average woman/man here is not seeing enough daylight at the end of a week where they work their sacks off all week trying to pay bills and put food on the table and both parents often working (if you have a relative to help coz we all know childcare aint an option) so by the time the week ends you get left with very little money and very little time before you go again the next week.
    Is that a good quality of life? Or is it existing?

And that's where the entire thing breaks down in Ireland, imo. It's not the property tax or the huge rents or general taxation or the high variable interest rates on our mortgages etc, but it's just a combination of everything that has resulted in the common family finding themselves working to live, more-so working to exist.

So while it could be worse, it should be better. But hey, I'm coming across as "entitled" now.

What's there actual homeless rates compared to Ireland ?
    Anecdotally worse. I've seen larger groups of homeless in all of them than I've seen in Dublin.

Stats then as you wish.
    Indonesia 1.36%
    Australia 0.43%
    USA 0.18%
    Ireland 0.09%

Malaysia and Singapore not available, most likely for a reason of total apathy.

and why, according to you, are the government, politicians and civil servants in Ireland lying when they say there is a homeless crisis ?
    As mentioned. Unpopularity=Unemployment.

Now for the 4th and final time as I'm tired of the oneway traffic of information from me to you, tell me the countries you are familiar with and feel we can learn who better provide for homelessness.

Mediocre.

We pretty much define the word "mediocrity".

Even on these forums you can pick up on it very quickly.
    Anyone who dares to ask for a bit more from life gets lambasted with lazy phrases like "entitlement".
    I never saw that word mentioned so much in all my life until I joined boards, it's everywhere.
    Got to the stage where I hate the phrase. And that's without it ever being aimed at me specifically (someone will do it now of course) but it's right up there with "snowflake" and "3rd world problems" on my hate list.
    You demand a bit more from life here and you're an entitled snowflake with 3rd world problems.

On the other hand.... It's not quite the sheer pits that others suggest and yes when you're quantifying a standard of living in a nation it will inevitably draw comparisons to countries who have serious problems like basics such as running water, transport, electricity etc so we're certainly not anywhere remotely close to being in an unfortunate nation to live in overall. And yes we should be thankful for that.

There are lots of people and families out there on huge salaries and lots of others living on social welfare.

But I think what really gets on people's wicks is that the average woman/man here is not seeing enough daylight at the end of a week where they work their sacks off all week trying to pay bills and put food on the table and both parents often working (if you have a relative to help coz we all know childcare aint an option) so by the time the week ends you get left with very little money and very little time before you go again the next week.
    Is that a good quality of life? Or is it existing?

And that's where the entire thing breaks down in Ireland, imo. It's not the property tax or the huge rents or general taxation or the high variable interest rates on our mortgages etc, but it's just a combination of everything that has resulted in the common family finding themselves working to live, more-so working to exist.

So while it could be worse, it should be better. But hey, I'm coming across as "entitled" now.

down with you wanting improvements, anything important that could be fixed or improved, shouldn't be.

• Advertisement

I think a lot of foreign nationals are leaving here because of the high rents and house prices.Working on a low income salary is not an option here anymore. Irish people themselves often are choosing to work abroad rather than here and when they leave they are in no hurry back, so that speaks volumes to me.

Anecdotally worse. I've seen larger groups of homeless in all of them than I've seen in Dublin.

Stats then as you wish.
    Indonesia 1.36%
    Australia 0.43%
    USA 0.18%
    Ireland 0.09%

Malaysia and Singapore not available, most likely for a reason of total apathy.

As mentioned. Unpopularity=Unemployment.

Now for the 4th and final time as I'm tired of the oneway traffic of information from me to you, tell me the countries you are familiar with and feel we can learn who better provide for homelessness.

Antidotes ? :rolleyes:

Where's the sources for those figures ?

So it's a giant conspiracy theory. Even the Irish government and politicians don't have the dishonesty to pretend there isn't a homeless crisis in Ireland.

What is so great about Ireland that it merits paying €400,000 for a very average house in our capital city and €300,000 for same in Galway or Cork?

Johngoose wrote: »
    What is so great about Ireland that it merits paying €400,000 for a very average house in our capital city and €300,000 for same in Galway or Cork?

that's what happens when you think a sustainable economic strategy involves moving everyone and everything in a country to one city.

Antidotes ? :rolleyes:

Where's the sources for those figures ?

So it's a giant conspiracy theory. Even the Irish government and politicians don't have the dishonesty to pretend there isn't a homeless crisis in Ireland.

You have nothing to contribute beyond this then? Sorry to have engaged and sought actual solutions from you.

Antidotes ? :rolleyes: ??? The word was anecdotally...Based on casual observations or indications rather than rigorous or scientific analysis. Based on that which I have seen over a period of time.

Which is why I reverted to stats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homeless_population

Yes wiki. So that'll get another set sarcastic eyes. Find me stats which dispute it if you think they are off the mark.

Giant conspiracy theory? Thats your words. Pop stars rightly disgusted by homelessness make valiant efforts to reduce it and make statement to the effect that it is crisis. The first politician to claim its not a crisis will be shown a living breeding account of homelessness and be asked to say its not a crisis. Not an argument that will win any popularity/political contest is it.

Why in sods name are you so reluctant to tell us the lessons we can learn from the countries which rate better than us. You are frustrating to deal with. You have the answers but keep them to yourself. Shocking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement