Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first 6 months on the bike

• 20-12-2016 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So, I've been riding about 6 months and thought I'd share my experience on here as I learned a lot thanks to these forums and hope that this may be of some benefit to any other new riders.
    Also, I've never posted here before but have been entertained by all the posts on here over the past few months! Keep it up and Im thankful to all those who shared their advice on other threads!

IBT:
    Its a lot of money but is 100% worth it. I done mine with Tony Agnew of Irish motorcycling training and thought he was excellent. He's based in Ballymount and was very good at explaining to me (who had no experience on a bike whatsoever) why a bike handled the way it did and in general breaking things down so that you understand what your doing. I'd recommend him without doubt to anyone looking to start

Bike:
    Sit on a few and buy what you think is comfortable. I didnt have insurance until I actually bought a bike so first time I drove it I already owned it (a bit risky but sure what can you do!). I'm on an mid range adventure style bike and love it. Most of my driving is Dublin city commuting and I love the high seating position so I can see over cars in town! Its also comfortably for the weekend spins up the mountains etc. one note - I was lucky that I bought a lighter model bike by chance - some of the other tall bikes also weigh a tonne and can be hard to control for a new rider when driving in slow traffic!

Gear:
    I bought all my gear up in Cotters and thought they were grand to deal with. They sorted me out fairly sharpish and were pretty sound to deal with. its quite a large expense getting kitted out first time but worth it! A full wallet wont save you if you come off your bike! A good helmet/gear might!

Driving:
    One thing I would say is that every-time you get on the bike you need to be 100% focused. Lots of advice out there to have the mindset that everyone else on the road is out to get you - I believe this advice to be perfectly accurate! People simply don't see bikes on the road. and come Fri evening when people are driving home, they make crazy decisions and shoot out from anywhere/change lanes/are distracted etc etc.
    As for actual driving advice, I'm not really in a position to give it given I'm only driving a few months! But what I will say is that there is lots of advice out there (some good some not so good). I found it very helpful to watch youtube videos and try learn about how bikes react in corners, wind, rain etc. I found 'Roadcraftnottingham' to have fairly good advice on youtube and some good videos. Also recommend watching 'Twist of the wrist' by Keith Code - its ridiculously corny but he seems to be fairly well respected from what I gather.
    Other than that, all I'd say is practice. Its different to driving a car where you just forget that your even driving at times. On the bike, my opinion is that (when your starting at least) you need to proactively go out and practice different aspects of driving.
    If I had to give some advice, it would be to keep your arms loose on the bars and look where you want to go :)

Driving test:
    I done mine in Tallaght after the 6month rule elapsed and passed first time :) absolutely chuffed is an understatement.
    I done a pre-test with Tony (from IBT above) and have no doubt that I would have failed without his advice. 2 pieces of advice I'd give on the test are to be aware of road positioning and do loads of lifesavers!
    If I'm to be honest, I found it almost uncomfortable doing my test because of the amount of lifesavers you have to do and how slow you drive. I felt like I was a lot more vulnerable on the road and that I was looking anywhere but forward! But hey, thats what they want to see! :)

Overall, getting a bike has been a game changer and I love it! commuting is no longer a chore and its a great feeling going out for a spin at the weekends/in the summer evenings!
    Hopefully this is of some use to someone getting started! best of luck and stay safe!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Welcome to the club mate, remember you NEVER stop learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭TheAlkaline

It's awesome to see more and more people getting into biking. Well done for passing the test first time! Drop me a PM if you are interested to join a motorcycle events, such as group rides and meetings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭COH

Nice one man & congrats on passing your test! Bought my bike in May and have the test in Feb... lifesavers are such a pain in the tits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

COH wrote: »
    ... lifesavers are such a pain in the tits!

They might be but there's a bit of a clue in the name.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

serious3 wrote: »
    They might be but there's a bit of a clue in the name.....

Yeah a glance over your shoulder to check for something that's not there and wasn't there a nano second beforehand as you pass by it at 30/50kpm

lifesavers required in a test have absolutely nothing to do with common sense riding, they're just another hurdle put there for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Yeah a glance over your shoulder to check for something that's not there and wasn't there a nano second beforehand as you pass by it at 30/50kpm

lifesavers required in a test have absolutely nothing to do with common sense riding, they're just another hurdle put there for you

Sorry but no.

And equally they teach you to drive a car better too.

Good driving isn't there to make it a chore or a hurdle these are skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Well done OP. Always good to get someone's view on everything. I had a thread of my own about my starting experiences.

My experience of Cotters was very different from yours though.

Keep riding and keep learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Not sure how anybody cannot see the value of lifesavers...or think they're just a means to passing a test! Do them! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

rat_race wrote: »
    Not sure how anybody cannot see the value of lifesavers...or think they're just a means to passing a test! Do them! :)

Anyone with any sense looks around when riding a bike......but this looks right to you dos it? this is the requirement for a test, he looks like a nodding dog in a car window ffs.....looks like he's nodding to the tarmac on the road most the time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuRgUAI0UIg

Anyone with any sense looks around when riding a bike......but this looks right to you dos it? this is the requirement for a test, he looks like a nodding dog in a car window ffs.....looks like he's nodding to the tarmac on the road most the time

OK then your right you win.

Gold star for safety,

Next

• Advertisement

It does look right, yeah.

rat_race wrote: »
    It does look right, yeah.

I think it may be lost on him that is more pronounced during the test to demonstrate to instructor. But they should be done on real life through quick turns.

listermint wrote: »
    I think it may be lost on him that is more pronounced during the test to demonstrate to instructor. But they should be done on real life through quick turns.

Yeah. I've noticed many of us (motorcyclists) are not aware of cyclists / other motorcycles undertaking them (legally); all because of a lack of lifesaver / mirror checks, in these so-called "pointless" situations.

Same for cyclists, they use their ears too much (no good if a motorbike is coasting up the side of you), and change position on the road without know WTF is under- or over-taking them; again no lifesavers.

As far car drivers, no lifesavers / mirror checks are all to common also.

Always assuming you're not seen is the only way to go, because people aren't interested in being fully observant -- "sure there's no point, there was nobody there a second ago"!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TTDublin

I did my ibt and pre-test with Tony Agnew - Irish Motorcycle Training too and passed first time. I'd have to agree with the OP it was well worth every penny. Can't recommend him enough.

I struggled a bit with the lifesavers until I figured out the it's all about timing them earlier so they don't interfere with getting into position, cornering etc. Takes a bit of practice to get the timing right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Lifesavers save lives, the clue is in the name! They should be done everytime you are making a turn until they become habit, then you do not have to worry about them again as you will do them automatically.
    Many years ago I didn't do them because I thought I knew everything there was to know about motorcycling (young and stupid) until one day I went to overtake a car, looked in my right mirror, didn't see anything, went to overtake and heard a roar of an exhaust note beside me, another bike doing well over a ton was trying to overtake me and the car, he had to swerve to avoid me and we missed each other by inches. I had looked in my mirror twenty seconds before and saw nothing.
    I took two things away from the experience, 1. Look regularly in your mirrors, always know what's going on behind you and 2. Do lifesavers EVERY time.
    Now that I'm slightly older I have realised that I don't know everything and every day is a lesson

Advertisement