Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Bray go high-rise?

• 20-12-2016 2:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

As everyone knows, there is continuing pressure for housing in and around Bray, and it is only likely to increase.

Already, there is development very close to beautiful areas like Kilruddery and elsewhere in the Bray-Greystones hinterland.

I think that allowing further sprawl in such areas would mean a loss of priceless landscapes, but the only way of avoiding it might be to look at high-rise building within the town of Bray.

Some high-rise development (say up to 12 storeys) along the seafront would, in my view, be visually tolerable and would also mean more affordable homes for local people.

Does anyone else agree that this might be the best way to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

12 storeys is very high for a town that currently has very few buildings over 2 storeys. Also most of the buildings at the seafront are Victorian or Edwardian so I'm not sure where you'd put these apartment blocks. Some 5-6 storey infill could be considered elsewhere in the town.

What's happening to the old golf club lands - they're building (I think) new schools there at the moment, what happened to the shopping centre plans?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Does anyone else agree that this might be the best way to go?

No it's a ridiculous idea and your example of 12 storey building on the promenade being visually tolerable is even more farcical.

High rise developments don't work well in towns. Also if they were to go high rise I can assure they would be sold to prospective developers/land lords and would quickly become welfare housing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No. It would ruin the overall aesthetic and feel of the seafront and would be completely out of place.

There is just unfortunately very little development land in Bray.

OP you probably have missed the deadline for views on the Bray local area development plan

http://www.wicklow.ie/sites/default/files/water/BrayMD%20LAP%20Issues%20Booklet.pdf

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

But if there is very little land for development and a high demand for homes, something will have to give.

I do not want to see any more suburban sprawl in the garden county.

The only alternative still seems to be taller buildings in the town.

If anyone has another way forward, please say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

But if there is very little land for development and a high demand for homes, something will have to give.

Move. Simple

I was born and bred in Bray but I no longer live there as the housing crisis during the boom and the exorbitant price inflation due to it's proximity to Dublin made it a less desirable option.

You talk of urban spread in the Garden county yet you're willing to put high rise buildings on one of Brays only assets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

something will have to give.

You would think so.

How about taxing the land that greedy developers are sitting on?
    The only reason that they are not building on it is because they want to maximise their profits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I actually think previously industrial zoned places such as Dell and AO Smith could be rezoned for housing.

A few small scale high rises on the edges of the town maybe but not ruining the seafront.

Bray is on the point of sprawling out to old fassaroe by the way.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

I actually think previously industrial zoned places such as Dell and AO Smith could be rezoned for housing.

Exactly - what's dell used for other than air show parking...

Advertisement