Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy me a bike (Newbie)

Options
  • 20-12-2016 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Sorry if wrong forum but thought it best. Going to try and get back into cycling (road) as a method of past time as well as fitness mixed with gym work.
    Looking at road bikes and my previous was 2009/10 Dawes Giro 300. I see I can get the updated same for approx €400 now and wondering is their anything of equivalent upto €550 that I should consider as an alternative (what benefit comes from extra spending) Roads will be mainly town by-pass national roads in good condition slight in/decline.

Any help or suggestion are welcome and mods please feel free to move topic if required. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Hi guys,
    Sorry if wrong forum but thought it best. Going to try and get back into cycling (road) as a method of past time as well as fitness mixed with gym work.
    Looking at road bikes and my previous was 2009/10 Dawes Giro 300. I see I can get the updated same for approx €400 now and wondering is their anything of equivalent upto €550 that I should consider as an alternative (what benefit comes from extra spending) Roads will be mainly town by-pass national roads in good condition slight in/decline.

Any help or suggestion are welcome and mods please feel free to move topic if required. Thanks guys.

If you liked that bike, then why not just get the latest version? At your price points there are a lot of bikes to chose from. The "benefits from extra spending" come from getting various upgrades via running gear (mostly)

Were I you, I'd be inclined to try a few local bike shops (halfords included) and see what they have on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Cheers dude appreciate the feedback. Honestly was happy to go with the upgrade but just thought if anyone had any opinion on bang for buck around the Prince range. The alternative was a cannondale synapse alloy claris.

Happy to hear anyone else opinion won't be pulling trigger till after xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

The Dawes weighs 11kg, which is not light. Some of that weight is in the steel fork which seems to be specified. The spec for the Cannondale lists carbon fork blades. That's likely to make it lighter. That may not be a big issue if you never climb hills, but if you don't you are missing out on one of the great pleasures of cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Hey guys,
    Thanks for all the help and pointers.
    Ended up picking my new Cannondale Synapse up this evening. Wont have time to get her on the road tonight, but have all weekend to myself. Just a note got some really good help, information and sizing sorted with Steven in CyclePlus in Greystones. Explained everything in relative simple terms.

Advertisement