Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for someone minding a dog

• 20-12-2016 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭

Hi guys! Just looking for some advice!

I agreed to mind a friends dog until after Christmas. The current arrangement means that I call over to feed the dog (morning and evening) and let her out to do his business in the morning and then walk her in the evening.

I was wondering if taking her for a walk in the morning as well is OK? Also she is a small dog so I wouldn't want to wear her out!

Also I was thinking of letting her come back to my house in the evenings for a while so she has some company...but I wasn't sure if that might make her a bit anxious considering its a new environment.

Thanks for any advice! (She is quite content in her own house and doesn't bark at all by the way....she can't wait to get back and hop in her bed!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'm sure he would appreciate a morning walk. :) But I would be asking the owner about morning walks / taking him to your house first, they know their dog best and their dog's needs.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I understand that it's not your dog and you are good to help your friend, but it's cruel to for a dog to be left like this for so long. Even if he's not barking, dogs are social animals and appreciate contact with people/other dogs. I think it would be great if you brought the dog over to yours in the evenings at least, he will be little unfamiliar with the place but will probably sniff around and settle down soon enough. A morning walk would be good too, even a short one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Personally I'd ask the owner if it was ok to just take the dog to your house. Less to-ing and fro-ing for you and the dog has more company.

The owner may not want to put you under more stress by asking but to me it'd be the best solution and with his bed and stuff he is unlikely to be stressed by the move for a few days. Less stressed than being alone I'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Absolutely! Obviously check with the owner first but personally I think a morning walk is essential if the dog is going to be left alone all day. But if the owner is ok with it, I would bring it to your house in the evenings too. Dogs are such social animals and im sure it would love the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

I called the owner and suggested just moving her up to mine for the next two weeks and they didn't have a problem with it! (I said it would save me the drive over to the house every day)

She's here snoring beside me :D

Thanks for the advice! Its good to have dog owners chime in on whats best for the animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

ciara1052 wrote:
    I called the owner and suggested just moving her up to mine for the next two weeks and they didn't have a problem with it! (I said it would save me the drive over to the house every day)

ciara1052 wrote:
    She's here snoring beside me

ciara1052 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice! Its good to have dog owners chime in on whats best for the animal.

And good to have neighbours/friends like you!

Advertisement