Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Subject Plans

Options
  • 20-12-2016 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭

A number of questions

Has anybody been Inspected recently In English?
    Has any ' Department' done a plan recently ?

TBH I think plans a bad idea. Most teachers in my school do their own thing. They follow the curriculum etc. but in their own way.

But I want to be ready?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

A number of questions

Has anybody been Inspected recently In English?
    Has any ' Department' done a plan recently ?

TBH I think plans a bad idea. Most teachers in my school do their own thing. They follow the curriculum etc. but in their own way.

But I want to be ready?

Ahhh every department is supposed to have a plan:!

Doing your own thing is grand until a teacher goes out sick or a student might switch between classes, years or levels.

Have a search on Google for 'department of education subject inspection English'. The main page can be hard to find initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Ahhh every department is supposed to have a plan:!

Doing your own thing is grand until a teacher goes out sick or a student might switch between classes, years or levels.

Have a search on Google for 'department of education subject inspection English'. The main page can be hard to find initially.

Well If a student switches levels he or she will be doing new texts. I don't know of any 'Department' that has symmetry about texts at senior level. Perhaps same level but not different levels. Though why you would move to a class of the same level is beyond me.

IE I wouldn't go near Shakespeare at Ordinary level just because a kid might drop down .
    At Junior level its all the wonderful world of mixed ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Well If a student switches levels he or she will be doing new texts. I don't know of any 'Department' that has symmetry about texts at senior level. Perhaps same level but not different levels. Though why you would move to a class of the same level is beyond me.

IE I wouldn't go near Shakespeare at Ordinary level just because a kid might drop down .
    At Junior level its all the wonderful world of mixed ability.

We always choose texts as a department for two reasons - kids switching levels and the book scheme. It's pretty handy - choose 3 texts, HL do all three as comparative and then Shakespeare usually as single text, OL do two of the three as comparative and the third as single text. If students move levels, there is way less hassle, plus we tend to teach the same texts at the same time and it's handy for sharing notes/resources and exams. Making a student change texts when they change levels is quite unfair on them in my opinion.

I see your points about students having to switch levels and new texts but I still would not coordinate for a number of reasons
    Firstly Ordinary level students in our school are very weak. Doing Shakespeare would be way over their heads even as a comparative.
    Secondly depending on years its quite difficult to get texts that suit or challenge the relevant level.

Thirdly, I believe in Teacher autonomy. I remember growing to hate and loathe How many miles to Babylon and nobody would persuade me to ever do it again.

I find most teachers good at getting their own resources or have their own way. I love Smart Pass Audio Guides For Shakespeare but have yet to persuade a colleague to use them.
    Oh lastly- only about less than 10% of pupils move levels in our school. The interests of the majority outweigh the minority in my book though I know we are all to swallow this bull about differentiation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I see your points about students having to switch levels and new texts but I still would not coordinate for a number of reasons
    Firstly Ordinary level students in our school are very weak. Doing Shakespeare would be way over their heads even as a comparative.
    Secondly depending on years its quite difficult to get texts that suit or challenge the relevant level.

Thirdly, I believe in Teacher autonomy. I remember growing to hate and loathe How many miles to Babylon and nobody would persuade me to ever do it again.

I find most teachers good at getting their own resources or have their own way. I love Smart Pass Audio Guides For Shakespeare but have yet to persuade a colleague to use them.
    Oh lastly- only about less than 10% of pupils move levels in our school. The interests of the majority outweigh the minority in my book though I know we are all to swallow this bull about differentiation etc.

Why are you referring to doing Shakespeare with OLs? I wouldn't do it either, it's the other/comparative texts we coordinate, usually leave Shakespeare until levels are settled or start of sixth year.

Teacher autonomy is important and there have been times when I've changed one text for another in the book store, think it was Babylon actually! It's great to teach a text you love, but I don't think teacher personal preference should be the only deciding factor.

I try to push as many to do HL as possible at the start of fifth year, but we're a DEIS school and for many the support at home and motivation just isn't there, so no matter how much I encourage them, we do end up with a fair few doing OL eventually. Not having to do two or three new texts makes life a lot easier for them.

• Advertisement

I see your overall point Implausible.

A book store is a good idea. Who Runs it?

Advertisement