Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Funding for taught masters

• 20-12-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭

I've been offered a place in a masters programme but fees and living expenses are proving a bit of a hurdle. Aside from the grant, does anyone know of any funding available? I just know of the student assistance fund within the college and some places provide funding for research masters, finding very little info online for taught courses. Thanks.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I had to get a loan out to do mine a couple of years ago. They will let you just pay the interest for the first year so you won't be making full repayments until the masters is over (assuming it's only a year long). It's not ideal but it's very doable if you're frugal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I got funding from my employer- is that an option for you? Sometimes you have to agree to stay in same company for a certain number of years after completing masters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Deirdre5

I got funding from my employer- is that an option for you? Sometimes you have to agree to stay in same company for a certain number of years after completing masters.

Not an option for me unfortunately.. I'm hoping to get my fees paid and I'll probably have to take out a loan but I'm looking at about 7k for rent and living expenses for 12 months :( I'm guessing I can't do a phd afterwards either cos I'll have to go working to pay off the loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

I was in the same predicament back in the day when I got offered a masters in UL. I ended up going to QUB as students from the south got full funding. Not sure what the story is now or if they do the course you want but worth considering and great place to study.

Advertisement