Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional knife sharpener?

Options
  • 20-12-2016 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of someone in Dublin who can put a proper edge on a hunting knife?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

around here there is a saying that one has to be a liar to sharpen blades, knives etc, so now you have a starting point, your problem now is, who is the biggest and best liar around, sorry for highjacking your thread, look up how its done, then practice on a few old ones, it will not take too long, a scout leader is usually able to do this, as knives are a necesety for the scouts, at least they were in my day

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Nightforce 65X55

There used to be a cutlery shop on parliament street that had a sharpening service. Or as stated above. Look it up on you tube and give it a go yourself. I had a good sharpening video up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Any butcher would be able to put an edge on a knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just make sure they're 'sharpening' and not grinding...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

There is a guy on pearse street who a bunch of professional chefs recommended to me a while back. Does a great job every time I drop my cooking knifes in, should be well able to do a hunting knife.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 335 ✭✭noeleire

buy a lansky sharing kit for use on hunting knifes if you use a sharping stone it will mark the blade ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I was the same and couldn't put an edge on a blade. I had tried everything from whet stone, steel, diamond flat stones.

Then I got the DMT kit and it really is the How To Sharpen knifes for dummies to get and keep an edge on all your knifes.

https://www.dmtonlinestore.com/Aligner-Prokit-in-New-Rugged-Carry-Case-P54C13.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Get the Spyderco triangle knife sharpening kit,and dump all the rest...Costs abit more,but it is idiot proof.30 and 40 degree preset and sharpens just about everything.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Acusharp is good and dummyproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Some of us are showing our age, the Cutler on Parliament St across from Garnett and Keegan is gone a long time.......

OP the lads recommending sharpening kits are on the right track. A few evenings with some basic material and some Utube Vids will go a long way and you will have a skill to stand to you. My option is a cheep alternative to some of the kits.
    Get yourself a cork sanding block and a bundle of wet and dry sand paper in various grits. A worn or old sharpening steel is as good as a substitute for ceramic rods etc.
    Depending on the dullness of your blade start with a rough grit wrapped on the narrow edge of the block. The number of strokes on each side must be even 10 to 10 etc. As you move down through to the finer grits multiple the number of strokes by 3. This will give you a more polished edge and the less abrasive material removes less materials.
    My go to knife for gralloching deer is my Mora heavy duty in carbon. I hone that edge at a approximately 22 degrees. Address the surface of the block with the blade at 90 degree perpendicular, half it to 45, then again to 22'ish . Each time you address the block go through the same procedure and you will build some muscle memory.
    The shape of the blade - belly , point etc is important, practice on a smooth surface to ensure you maintain the same angle throughout the movement of the blade across the sharpening surface. The knife itself will rise and fall as you follow the correct angle of the edge. Keep your elbows and wrist fluid.
    Keep your worn out fine sand paper for stroping, and finish the blade with the a reverse action. This time strokes from tip to hilt with the cutting edge facing you and the blade drawn away from your body. The worn steel will give you a fine hone finish.
    People may question the angle as I use it on a scandi grind, but I have reprofiled all my knives including my chefs knives with this angle and haven't looked back since.
    Remember the geometry of the blade and it's thickness will determine its cutting ability, suitability and style, my Mora will cut hide, flesh and carve wood (if I could) but my thin bladed chefs knives will slice fine cuts of vegetables, meat etc. Each will cross over but not do the others job well.
    Sorry about long winded post, but it's raining, tv is sh1te and I'm waiting for the morning stalking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Il invest in a sharpening kit so. I got a butcher to do it before and he basically "butchered" the look off the knife. They have the electric sharpeners afaik and they're no good for hunting blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭cz223

Get a works sharp electric sharpener fool proof and leaves a serious edge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

I have the Lansky system as well, wouldn't be without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I got the Spyderco Sharpmaker for £59 delivered from Amazon to Ireland.
    Very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ezra_ wrote: »
    There is a guy on pearse street who a bunch of professional chefs recommended to me a while back. Does a great job every time I drop my cooking knifes in, should be well able to do a hunting knife.
    That's Sweeney O'Rourkes, a wholesale catering equipment supplier, and I've had good experiences with them too.

Also there's a boardsie called Deise Musashi who frequents the Survivalism and Self-Sufficiency forum amongst others ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=304968 ) who seems to be a whizz at knife sharpening. From some of his videos I reckon you'd be able to shave with a knife he's sharpened, but you'd have to send them off to him down in Dungarvan to get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Alun wrote: »
    That's Sweeney O'Rourkes, a wholesale catering equipment supplier, and I've had good experiences with them too.

Also there's a boardsie called Deise Musashi who frequents the Survivalism and Self-Sufficiency forum amongst others ( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=304968 ) who seems to be a whizz at knife sharpening. From some of his videos I reckon you'd be able to shave with a knife he's sharpened, but you'd have to send them off to him down in Dungarvan to get done.

Mr. Musashi sharpened a knife for me a couple of years ago- "scary sharp" and still is a true gentleman, have a look at his YouTube videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

If your passing near nass head into the carpentry store and ask for a demo of there tormek sharpeners. Bring your blade for them to demo it. It's one serious bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Rosahane

There's lots of choice when it comes to knife sharpening, for example:

https://www.heinnie.com/knives-and-tools/knife-and-tool-sharpeners

You can spend hundreds right down to a few euro for wet and dry paper.

Generally, the more you spend the more foolproof is the solution and the more consistent the results - unless of course you're a professional Japanese knife maker.

The hardest thing to learn in hand sharpening is the muscle memory necessary to keep a consistent angle.

I have waterstones, wet and dry, Lansky kit. DMT and an EdgePro Apex set. The Edgepro, DMT and Lansky hold the blade at a consistent angle which makes sharpening a lot easier.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model-Edge-Pro-System-c3/

The Edgepro is the easiest to use and achieves the best results but its relatively expensive. The next best is the DMT which beats the Lansky because of its wider hones which also have the advantage of being diamond.

Its really down to how much you want to spend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Plus one on the Edgepro, excellent tool. You get what you pay for in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Almost as many recommendations as posts :D Best of luck making your mind up OP. Keep us informed as to how you get on. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭MarcinG

Lansky turnbox crockstick

Advertisement